2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My 100K Coyote with some service history

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/16, 05:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to see another 100K coyote! I just hit 117,000 miles in my 2011 GT the other day. AC condenser went out at 55,000 miles (due to highway debris rupturing and punching a hole in it) and was replaced, otherwise no issues and still going strong! Oil changed every 7,500 miles. Spark plugs, tranny fluid, and rear diff fluids changed at 100K. Original clutch still grabbing tightly. 3rd set of tires from the original pirelli pzero. Bone stock.

Miles are about 60% city, 40% highway.

Last edited by raidernixon; 7/30/16 at 05:36 PM.
Old 8/1/16, 05:51 AM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for sharing raidernixon....
Old 8/1/16, 06:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by raidernixon
3rd set of tires from the original pirelli pzero.

Did you keep buying new sets of Pirelli's or switch to a different tire? If so, what tires and how are they?
Old 8/2/16, 10:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Did you keep buying new sets of Pirelli's or switch to a different tire? If so, what tires and how are they?
I suppose I should have been a little more clear that I am currently on my 4th set of tires, third set since the original Pirellis died. I got away from Pirelli after the ridiculous tread life experience I had (I didn't drive the car hard at all).

Here are all of the tires I have had and my best guess on the mileage I got out of each tire:

Original Pirellis: 9,000 miles

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (275/40/R19): 56,000 miles

Bridgestone Turanza Serinity Plus A/S (275/40/R19): 49,000 miles

Current Tires:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 (275/40/R19): 3,000 miles to date

The Bridgestones were OK, but noisy, a bit less grippy and looked kind of awkward on the Brembo rims. The tread life was also slightly less. Overall both sets of Michelins have been the best by a far margin...very grippy, soft ride, and very quiet.
Old 8/2/16, 11:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm kind of curious why you ever bought all seasons living in the DFW? I'm pretty hard on my Pirellis (but I've never done a burnout) and have 12k miles on mine. I should probably take a look at the tread on them.

How did the 275's do on the Brembo wheels? Do you have any pictures of the car/wheels with those tires? Wondering about rubbing or rock chip slinging with such a wide tire. The Brembo wheels already have an offset that puts them pretty close to the edge of the fenders

Last edited by Coyote5-0; 8/2/16 at 11:51 AM.
Old 8/3/16, 02:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm kind of curious why you ever bought all seasons living in the DFW? I'm pretty hard on my Pirellis (but I've never done a burnout) and have 12k miles on mine. I should probably take a look at the tread on them.

How did the 275's do on the Brembo wheels? Do you have any pictures of the car/wheels with those tires? Wondering about rubbing or rock chip slinging with such a wide tire. The Brembo wheels already have an offset that puts them pretty close to the edge of the fenders
My guess would be A) they're significantly cheaper and B) DFW still gets snow/ice/cold temps so it makes sense on a high mileage DD.
Old 8/3/16, 03:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

100,000 Mile Coyote Owner Review

So I'm now at 103,000 miles on my Coyote too, and thought I'd repost the 100,000 mile review I just posted on my blog:

Wow. It’s been just short of 5 years since I bought my first Ford Mustang, a car I’d been dreaming about for 15 years. I wrote about that day, and did a 60,000 mile review in 2014. Since then, Lucy has definitely gone through some stuff, but she’s continued to be a reliable, fun daily driver, as well as a backroads weekend driving adventure car all-in-one for me. As I look back at that 60,000 mile review, the Pros and Cons of it still hold true but here’s some updates/additional thoughts:
  • My overall gas mileage is about the same (22.7) in mixed highway/city driving – likely about 75% highway. The car continues to be very efficient – I’ve had multiple tanks this summer of 25+ MPG and one of 27.3 even, going 75-80 MPH on the highway with the A/C blasting. If I went 65-70 with no A/C, 30 is likely! Definitely no complaints about the mileage – one thing I will say is that the gearing seems to make a huge difference. I have the 3.31 (tallest) gears available on this car, and from what I can see on the forums I’m a member of, the guys with 3.55 gears and 3.73, especially, do much worse, frequently struggling to hit 20 mpg.
  • I’ve had a fair amount of body work done to this car, sadly. I was rear-ended in 2013 and that did $8,000 in damage. A co-worker dinged the passenger side pretty badly early this year, which cost me my $500 deductible. And a hailstorm this summer did $3,500 in damage so, while the car looks perfect still thanks to great repair work, every body panel has been worked on at some point and all but the roof/driver front quarter have been repainted so far.
  • The fantastic 5.0 Coyote V8 motor continues to run perfectly, with seemingly as much power as ever, zero problems and continued strong mileage.
  • Same with the Getrag MT82 transmission – it’s not perfect but it hasn’t developed any problems in the least. I’m still on the original clutch as well.
  • I have continued to drive her year-round and am still on the original Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 winter tires I got when I bought her. The car handles winter weather with no complaint.
  • There’s not a spot of rust on her anywhere either, though there’s not that much road salt down here in Kansas City and I am very good about washing any of it off as soon as it’s practical.
  • The interior has held up extremely well too – there’s little noticeable wear on the leather and everything else still looks and works like new.

As far as maintenance is concerned, here’s what I’ve done, maintenance-wise, beyond normal oil changes/tire rotations:
  • 7/2014: driver’s side power seat track assembly + right side blend door actuator replaced: $700 total cost for parts+labor
  • 5/2015: the stock brakes weren’t squealing and completely toast yet, but I had a track day coming up and wanted to have fresh brakes on, so I put on all new pads/rotors, as well as upgraded brake lines, for a DIY cost of $680.
  • 2/16: 4th set of spring/summer/fall tires bought. The 1st two sets of OEM all-season Pirellis didn’t last more than 25K even with rotations ever 5K, and the 3rd set (Continental ExtremeContact DWS) was awesome, but a nail in the sidewall led me to replacing all four prematurely (around 33K on the tires). For the 4th set, I went to summer only Continentals, rather than the all-seasons I’d had previously – I’m curious to see how well they hold up.
  • 6/15: transmission fluid changed for 2nd time
  • 6/16: the hood of my car was starting to suffer from the infamous Mustang aluminum hood corrosion problem, which is common enough that it’s a trend but not common enough for Ford to do a TSB or recall, sadly, so I purchased a new, pre-painted hood from Cervini’s, which I love, for $1,054.
  • 7/16: the stock struts/shocks were not completely blown yet but given the age of the car and how I drive, I figured it was time and replaced them with new Koni orange (non-adjustable) units. That DIY job cost me about $700.
  • Not fixed yet: faulty SiriusXM antenna that stopped working in the past 3 weeks
Maintenance-wise, that’s it – nothing has gone wrong that wasn’t normal maintenance beyond that power seat. I was annoyed at some of the little problems I was running into back when I wrote the 60k review, but the car has been basically flawless since.

In fact, I just got back from a 2,800 mile road trip adventure with some buddies from Wisconsin; we met in eastern Tennessee to drive Tail of the Dragon and other amazing roads in TN and North Carolina together. The car performed flawlessly throughout the trip and that only made me love it more.

I love this car for all the reasons I always have, but even more now because it’s proven to be a car a normal person can own and drive every day, and not break the bank. The only way I’m ever getting rid of this car is if I get another Mustang to replace her with!
The following users liked this post:
Dean Martin (8/4/16)
Old 8/4/16, 05:45 AM
GT Member

Great info Kyle, thanks for adding to this thread. Pretty similar experiences, with us both biting the bullet for new hoods and running the cars year round with a set of snow tires for the bad months. Looks like with have the state of MO covered. I need to do my 100K spark plug change but am holding out till fall with some cooler weather to get caught up on my maintenance.
Old 8/4/16, 09:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Dean Martin
Great info Kyle, thanks for adding to this thread. Pretty similar experiences, with us both biting the bullet for new hoods and running the cars year round with a set of snow tires for the bad months. Looks like with have the state of MO covered. I need to do my 100K spark plug change but am holding out till fall with some cooler weather to get caught up on my maintenance.
Definitely! I should have waved when I drove through STL last weekend
Old 8/4/16, 11:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Full time BLizzaks, huh? Interesting.
Old 8/4/16, 12:22 PM
GT Member

Full time BLizzaks, huh? Interesting.
Kyle is running Summer only Conti's, and Blizzaks a few months of the year as I read his post....

I run Cooper RSA's 9 months a year, and Michelin X-ice the other 3....
Old 8/4/16, 01:08 PM
GT Member

I am actually now in the Houston area...finally updated my profile to reflect it.

I certainly did not have the same experience with my Pirellis. I never drove aggressively with them and they wore out pretty quickly. Whenever temps below 40 to 50 degrees hit, which does happen in Texas more often in the winter than not, they began to really suck as well (felt like driving on rock solid tires with little grip and no flex). Besides those reasons, I primarily went with A/S for the tread life.

275's did great on the brembo wheels. No rubbing whatsoever. The tires are still about a few mm inside the wheel well, so no issue with debris slinging.
Here are a few pics of my 11' GT with the 275 setup (also shown on the photo of my original post)

I recently retired the Black 11' to weekend warrior status. We now have a 16' Competition Orange GT PP that is a daily driver. It has the Pirellis on it, and in comparison to the 275 A/S Michelin currently on my 11', the Pirellis are nowhere near as nice. Once these Pirellis are dead, we will be going with a squared 275 setup with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's.

Last edited by raidernixon; 8/4/16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 8/4/16, 07:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ Dean... curious, how did/do you "drive" your car?

Mainly street driven? track? strip? If on street, redlined often? never? babied? etc...

Was just curious as that would play a big part in longevity and reliability.
Sorry I missed this for so long and didn't respond.
No track or strip. Not really babied at all, several times a day I give it some pretty hard pulls to near redline, down shifts to fourth at highway speeds if someone decides they want to play a bit, I live out in a fairly rural area where I can run it pretty hard at the tail end of my commute. But for sure, I do a ton of highway mikes that are easy on the car all in all.
Old 8/4/16, 08:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Kyle is running Summer only Conti's, and Blizzaks a few months of the year as I read his post....

I run Cooper RSA's 9 months a year, and Michelin X-ice the other 3....
Yep!
Old 8/5/16, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by raidernixon
I am actually now in the Houston area...finally updated my profile to reflect it.

I certainly did not have the same experience with my Pirellis. I never drove aggressively with them and they wore out pretty quickly. Whenever temps below 40 to 50 degrees hit, which does happen in Texas more often in the winter than not, they began to really suck as well (felt like driving on rock solid tires with little grip and no flex). Besides those reasons, I primarily went with A/S for the tread life.

275's did great on the brembo wheels. No rubbing whatsoever. The tires are still about a few mm inside the wheel well, so no issue with debris slinging.
Here are a few pics of my 11' GT with the 275 setup (also shown on the photo of my original post)

I recently retired the Black 11' to weekend warrior status. We now have a 16' Competition Orange GT PP that is a daily driver. It has the Pirellis on it, and in comparison to the 275 A/S Michelin currently on my 11', the Pirellis are nowhere near as nice. Once these Pirellis are dead, we will be going with a squared 275 setup with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's.

That Black car looks really good.
Old 1/8/19, 09:08 AM
GT Member

Figured I'd give a quick update as I just passsed 150K miles this week. Cliff's Notes: all good and still no major repairs to date.
  • 105K changed the plugs and had the airbag recall done
  • 108K full synthetic oil change, Redline MTL transmission fluid change, radiator drain/fill
  • 119K full synthetic oil change
  • 129K full synthetic oil change, New battery as a PM
  • 139K full synthetic oil change, new General Gmax all season tires, new KYB shocks
  • 141K new Green brand air filter for the Airaid CAI, new cabin air filter
  • 144K complete brake fluid service, new accessory belt
  • 149K full synthetic oil change, replaced differential fluid with Amsoil + additive, BG fluid in transmission now (best so far)
  • 150K replaced purge valve last night for P1450 code....we'll see if that resolves it for good
Hope many others are having as good of luck with theirs, I'd love to be driving a new Bullitt but this thing is humming along with no problems and she's paid for so we'll keep on rolling together for the time being.

Love to hear from some others!

The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (1/12/19)
Old 1/9/19, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks for the update. My Coyote just rolled 31k so I have a lot of life left in it.
Old 1/10/19, 08:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Figured I'd give a quick update as I just passsed 150K miles this week. Cliff's Notes: all good and still no major repairs to date.
  • 105K changed the plugs and had the airbag recall done
  • 108K full synthetic oil change, Redline MTL transmission fluid change, radiator drain/fill
  • 119K full synthetic oil change
  • 129K full synthetic oil change, New battery as a PM
  • 139K full synthetic oil change, new General Gmax all season tires, new KYB shocks
  • 141K new Green brand air filter for the Airaid CAI, new cabin air filter
  • 144K complete brake fluid service, new accessory belt
  • 149K full synthetic oil change, replaced differential fluid with Amsoil + additive, BG fluid in transmission now (best so far)
  • 150K replaced purge valve last night for P1450 code....we'll see if that resolves it for good
Hope many others are having as good of luck with theirs, I'd love to be driving a new Bullitt but this thing is humming along with no problems and she's paid for so we'll keep on rolling together for the time being.

Love to hear from some others!

Nice!! I wasn't sure anybody was further than me but I hit 145k last night. Third set of brakes. Second set of dampers. Original hoses and belt still, as the dealer keeps telling me they're fine. Original clutch still. Zero engine or transmission issues, beyond the engine burning a bit of oil. A/C has worked perfect but did have to replace the Evap core for $2,000. Couple blend door motors burned out. Few interior issues - driver seat lumbar support is dead after replacing the seat track motor once already, passenger seat motor died too so I swapped it out for a manual one. SiriusXM antenna died years ago.

Overall though, I love it still. Planning on buying a new family friendly vehicle this summer and retiring the Stang to weekends and nice days, at least until it starts having more significant problems since it's probably only worth 7 or 8k.
Old 1/11/19, 06:09 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Nice!! I wasn't sure anybody was further than me but I hit 145k last night. Third set of brakes. Second set of dampers. Original hoses and belt still, as the dealer keeps telling me they're fine. Original clutch still. Zero engine or transmission issues, beyond the engine burning a bit of oil. A/C has worked perfect but did have to replace the Evap core for $2,000. Couple blend door motors burned out. Few interior issues - driver seat lumbar support is dead after replacing the seat track motor once already, passenger seat motor died too so I swapped it out for a manual one. SiriusXM antenna died years ago.

Overall though, I love it still. Planning on buying a new family friendly vehicle this summer and retiring the Stang to weekends and nice days, at least until it starts having more significant problems since it's probably only worth 7 or 8k.
Kyle I seem to burn about 1-1.5 qts of oil between my 10K oil changes...but have from almost the beggining of ownership. I'm sure everyone would say that's well within "normal", but I got used to my 4.0 not using hardly a drop between changes and I had it until 200K.

Nice to hear from you again...
Old 1/12/19, 12:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Thanks for the update Dean, and congratulation on the 150K mark. My '06 is just a tick shy 100K now with nothing needed other than scheduled maintenance, fluids, filters, oil, etc. It just told me that I'm due for some front ball joints as the left one gave me that all-knowing pop when backing the other day. I think I'll keep 'er though.

BTW, I have a valve seal that is letting some oil leak back from time to time. Been getting that little puff of smoke from the left side for about 5,000 miles. But, that's OK. She's old enough to smoke if she wants.

Last edited by wanted33; 1/12/19 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: My 100K Coyote with some service history