Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The mustang and snow

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/16, 08:49 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
This is state dependent. In Michigan registration costs are high (for most cars I'd be spending $80+/ year just for registration), and insurance is the big killer. I'd be spending a minimum of $75/month for the bare minimum liability that the state requires. Probably closer to $100.

Thats a deal breaker when it's supposed to be super cheap. It's hard to only have both vehicles insured partially throughout the year, especially since the Mustang would likely need full coverage even while stored (loan requirement).
Iowa is the same way... registration is about 300 bucks a year for new vehicles, but my beater is about 50 bucks a year. Insurance for my beater is 10 bucks a month for liability. That's peanuts.

The storage insurance, you may be right, if you have a loan, they might require full. I don't have loans on my cars, so... I can't provide input on that. I only pay storage insurance for Pony over winter.
Old 2/17/16, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
This is state dependent. In Michigan registration costs are high (for most cars I'd be spending $80+/ year just for registration), and insurance is the big killer. I'd be spending a minimum of $75/month for the bare minimum liability that the state requires. Probably closer to $100.

Thats a deal breaker when it's supposed to be super cheap. It's hard to only have both vehicles insured partially throughout the year, especially since the Mustang would likely need full coverage even while stored (loan requirement).

Same here. I'd be forced to pay full insurance on this car while its still being financed. it doesn't make sense to buy a 2nd car, just to park my $34k Mustang.

Heck, even today. I drove past a Merc and luxury Merc SUV easily double what my S197 is worth. Its silly to park an inexpensive car like the Mustang esp when its my DD vehicle and not a "toy"

I would agree that if I were to mod it and invest some coin in this car, then I'd park it and enjoy it and drive it for pleasure during ideal seasons of the year.
Old 2/17/16, 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gravydog
all-season ARE NOT for winter driving!!!
in Quebec, winter tires are required by law; AWD is good for moving through snow/ice, but they don't help you stop or turn any better.
Yep, I think that for the first time in Ontario, anyone with snow tires can receive a credit from their insurance companies as well for having snowtires on the cars. It isn't much... but its better than nothing.

and its true. AWD is nice. I would like to have AWD but.. IMO, it gives the driver that false sense of security.

I would prefer to fishtail here and there as a constant reminder to keep it moderate.

Its just a matter of time before snow tires are enforced here in Ontario as well.
Old 2/17/16, 12:43 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys in MI may want to contact the bank holding your loan. Mine is Chemical Bank. I have called them each of the last 2 years to request putting storage insurance on from Oct 31 to March 31. I have not had any problems. The insurance cost drops to about $15/month for storage.
Old 2/17/16, 01:01 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by dburton_mi
You guys in MI may want to contact the bank holding your loan. Mine is Chemical Bank. I have called them each of the last 2 years to request putting storage insurance on from Oct 31 to March 31. I have not had any problems. The insurance cost drops to about $15/month for storage.
That sounds about right. I pay about 10 bucks for storage for Marilyn. I also pay 10 bucks a month for my beater insurance, liability only of course.