Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The mustang and snow

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/16, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The mustang and snow

I was driving over the weekend and it started to snow. I was doing about 50 and the back end twitched. Half an hour later there was an inch on the ground. The next thing I know the back end snapped out and I am going almost sideways with 18 wheelers on my left side.

I was facing an embankment with 2 suv's already crashed out. I corrected the steering and took my foot off the gas, and then the mustang flicked to the opposite direction and then managed to save her. I drove home at around 30mph.

Then a winter storm comes in and I had to drive my wifes chevrolet cruze eco back across 500 miles of snow. I did excellent with good year fuel max all season tires.

I really like my mustang and do not want to get rid of her but I have some thoughts on what I should do as I hate being stranded in the snow.

I was thinking of using up the summer nitto tires on my supersnakes and replace them with bf goodrich comp 2 all seasons and for winter fit proper snow tires to the track pack wheels.

I don't live in a region where it snows all the time just in the winter.

My other thought is to trade the mustang in for a 2013 taurus sho or a 2011 sti.

Opinions welcome...
Old 2/15/16, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Buy some winter tires and switch them out after. I use blizzak ws80s on my focus st, works like a dream :-)

Last edited by SGwick; 2/15/16 at 05:10 PM.
Old 2/15/16, 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
I was driving over the weekend and it started to snow. I was doing about 50 and the back end twitched. Half an hour later there was an inch on the ground. The next thing I know the back end snapped out and I am going almost sideways with 18 wheelers on my left side.

I was facing an embankment with 2 suv's already crashed out. I corrected the steering and took my foot off the gas, and then the mustang flicked to the opposite direction and then managed to save her. I drove home at around 30mph.

Then a winter storm comes in and I had to drive my wifes chevrolet cruze eco back across 500 miles of snow. I did excellent with good year fuel max all season tires.

I really like my mustang and do not want to get rid of her but I have some thoughts on what I should do as I hate being stranded in the snow.

I was thinking of using up the summer nitto tires on my supersnakes and replace them with bf goodrich comp 2 all seasons and for winter fit proper snow tires to the track pack wheels.

My other thought is to trade the mustang in for a 2013 taurus sho or a 2011 sti.

Opinions welcome...
I drove mine through snow easily here in CO with a good set of winter/snow tires (Continental TS810). All seasons are neither good in the summer nor in the winter. They suck at both. So get some great snow tires and you should be good.

LEXiiON
Attached Thumbnails The mustang and snow-2013-02-21-09.20.43-1.jpg  

Last edited by LEXiiON; 2/15/16 at 05:11 PM.
Old 2/15/16, 05:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Yep, like they said . . . snow tires.

You're probably running on all seasons, or worse yet, summer-only tires. Very bad.

I ran my 2010 manual GT through 2 or 3 Massachusetts winters with no problems, with decent snow tires. It's actually a fun car in the snow, once you get the hang of it, but only if you have a decent set of snow tires.
Old 2/15/16, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Another vote for snow tires. You might get away with all seasons on an all wheel drive car if you anticipate your over and understeer conditions. I have all terains on my winter beater which is a 4X4, but with just a few " of snow I leave it in RWD and drift every corner I encounter. There is something serene about a well controlled 25mph drift with good side slip angle

But on a RWD car you need proper winter tires. they make a WORLD of difference.

Lexiion is spot on. All Season tires = all season compromise. Plus you don't need snow for winter tires to shine. Just temps under 45 degrees.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 2/15/16 at 06:40 PM.
Old 2/15/16, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
I ran my 2010 manual GT through 2 or 3 Massachusetts winters with no problems, with decent snow tires. It's actually a fun car in the snow, once you get the hang of it, but only if you have a decent set of snow tires.
Yup, otherwise your Pony starts measuring 0-60 time in minutes
Old 2/15/16, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You live in Colorado and don't know to put some weight in the trunk for improved rear wheel traction?
Old 2/15/16, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I no longer live in Colorado, that info needs to be updated.
Old 2/15/16, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I no longer live in Colorado, that info needs to be updated.
I put a set of General Arctic snow tires on my winter beater and I can easily out drive all the 4x4 with all season tires with a old crappy FWD car.

LEXiiON
Old 2/15/16, 11:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Winter tires and good 150-200 pounds in the trunk will do it. Don't bother with winter tires without extra weight, you'll just burn through tires real quick.
Old 2/16/16, 06:03 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Just move down south where snow is rare. It is comical though when we have that rare bit of snow. Half an inch can close schools for days and deplete the grocery stores of milk and bread.
Old 2/16/16, 10:41 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
The most snow I ever saw was 18" in March of 1973...I was almost 8 years old and loved playing in it. Of course I didn't have to worry about driving in it back then. Wow, that makes me feel old.
Old 2/16/16, 11:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Snow tires FTW. I also added about 60Kilos worth of salt bags in the truck to add weight to the rear and this really is the best driving car I've owned. 2nd winter this time around and have not been stuck once, yet...

I've owned plenty of front wheel drive cars prior to this mustang and have gotten stuck at least once with them.
Attached Thumbnails The mustang and snow-mustang.jpg  
Old 2/16/16, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^^

That picture alone makes me express my utmost condolences for those living up north or the mid-west. I couldn't stand the mud/salt/ice on my car. Respect.
Old 2/16/16, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

It's just a car... when it rots out and or has lots of mileage, time to trade up I goes through the wash once a week through a program we have here at work and is parked in the garage overnight. its not that bad.
Old 2/16/16, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody should be driving 50 mph in the snow in a vehicle without all-wheel drive. This car is not that bad if you have all seasons and weight in the trunk. I drive mine in everything, all year long and it handles better in the snow than my last car which was a front wheel drive Mazda 3.
Old 2/16/16, 06:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Last1
Nobody should be driving 50 mph in the snow in a vehicle without all-wheel drive. This car is not that bad if you have all seasons and weight in the trunk. I drive mine in everything, all year long and it handles better in the snow than my last car which was a front wheel drive Mazda 3.
Why does all whee drive matter?

I can stop my Mustang a LOT quicker on any surface than any SUV or even AWD car with all seasons. Even on slick ice I can stop pretty quick while vehicles with all seasons slide right on by.
Old 2/17/16, 06:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Gravydog
We don't get much snow...
we always send it to Ontario... har har
THANKS!

Originally Posted by Last1
I typically take countryside roads where there's lots of snow blowing around. The posted speed sign is 80KM/H which is probably around 50mph I would guess. Normally, the general rule of thumb is you do 10 over the posted speed limit otherwise, you get some pissed of drivers following you and worse, going around you in this weather.

I guess, confidence in this weather is key.
Old 2/17/16, 08:18 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Opinions welcome...
Easiest question ever.

Answer? Spend 1k to 2k (or more) to buy a BEATER. Keep the Mustang, and keep it stored during snow.

Simple.

Heck, I have TWO beaters.
Old 2/17/16, 08:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Easiest question ever.

Answer? Spend 1k to 2k (or more) to buy a BEATER. Keep the Mustang, and keep it stored during snow.

Simple.

Heck, I have TWO beaters.
This is state dependent. In Michigan registration costs are high (for most cars I'd be spending $80+/ year just for registration), and insurance is the big killer. I'd be spending a minimum of $75/month for the bare minimum liability that the state requires. Probably closer to $100.

Thats a deal breaker when it's supposed to be super cheap. It's hard to only have both vehicles insured partially throughout the year, especially since the Mustang would likely need full coverage even while stored (loan requirement).

Quick Reply: The mustang and snow