Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

To Mustang, or Not to Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/12, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To Mustang, or Not to Mustang?

hey everyone,
I have been lurking since the 2011 GT hit. I fell in love with it but (no offense) I've never been one for american cars. As far as sports cars go, I used to have a C63 AMG, and now I drive tuned up 2012 335is coupe in 6mt. I chose the 335is over the M3, and it is a great car. No need to praise the handling, as any 3-series is one of the best handling cars on the market, I would even go as far as to say it is not too far down the list from porsche 911's or lotus'. Anyway with the twin turbos, and the over boost along with my jb4 tune, cat less downpipes, and intake, it has very nice torque and power. Ive proven on multiple occasions that it is faster than an M3, and an SRT8 challenger, just to name a few. Interior finishing is as expected, great. Also, I've test driven '11 and '12 GT's a few times in 6mt. I want to say i loved em, but at the end of the day, a test drive is very limited. However, now that the '13 GT's are about to drop, I don't know if i can handle it anymore. I am all about german cars, however this GT has just got me. So what do you guys think. keep my rocket? or go for a GT? Ill sum up what factors are of concern to me:
1.) handling. i don't mind modding but even with suspension mods, can the GT handle like a german car?
2.) service. having a new bmw makes servicing almost a pleasant experience. whereas i feel like with Ford, you just pray the service doesn't suck.
3.) quality. lets face it. American quality is not top notch. i don't mind, but i feel like it might be an issue. with things like the transmission problems, etc. i don't want a car that will fall apart
PS if i were to get the mustang i would get a black '13 GT premium with brembo track pack, recaros, nav. i would go for the GT and not the Boss because i feel like the GT is more flexible, if that makes sense. cheaper and easier to mod and customize, i would say you might be able to make a GT better than a boss for cheaper.
anyway i came here for any input, advice, recommendations, etc.
thanks for reading my ridiculously long post

Last edited by BlackMamba; 3/1/12 at 11:05 AM.
Old 3/1/12, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMamba
hey everyone,
I have been lurking since the 2011 GT hit. I fell in love with it but (no offense) I've never been one for american cars. As far as sports cars go, I used to have a C63 AMG, and now I drive tuned up 2012 335is coupe in 6mt. I chose the 335is over the M3, and it is a great car. No need to praise the handling, as any 3-series is one of the best handling cars on the market, I would even go as far as to say it is not too far down the list from porsche 911's or lotus'. Anyway with the twin turbos, and the over boost along with my jb4 tune, cat less downpipes, and intake, it has very nice torque and power. Ive proven on multiple occasions that it is faster than an M3, and an SRT8 challenger, just to name a few. Interior finishing is as expected, great. Also, I've test driven '11 and '12 GT's a few times in 6mt. I want to say i loved em, but at the end of the day, a test drive is very limited. However, now that the '13 GT's are about to drop, I don't know if i can handle it anymore. I am all about german cars, however this GT has just got me. So what do you guys think. keep my rocket? or go for a GT? Ill sum up what factors are of concern to me:
1.) handling. i don't mind modding but even with suspension mods, can the GT handle like a german car?
2.) service. having a new bmw makes servicing almost a pleasant experience. whereas i feel like with Ford, you just pray the service doesn't suck.
3.) quality. lets face it. American quality is not top notch. i don't mind, but i feel like it might be an issue. with things like the transmission problems, etc. i don't want a car that will fall apart
PS if i were to get the mustang i would get a black '13 GT premium with brembo track pack, recaros, nav. i would go for the GT and not the Boss because i feel like the GT is more flexible, if that makes sense. cheaper and easier to mod and customize, i would say you might be able to make a GT better than a boss for cheaper.
anyway i came here for any input, advice, recommendations, etc.
thanks for reading my ridiculously long post
Just Wow.
Buy the Mustang
Because you love it, not because its the better car.

A Lamborghini or Ferrari is a better car to some. $$$$
Old 3/1/12, 11:31 AM

You wouldn`t be the first one with a 335i that fell to the magic of the five point oh.

If you are from N54tech, you know it already.

The great perfomance of the car overall is worth it, but it is just a matter of tastes.

Don`t worry, the 5.0 would sound worlds better than the 3.0 liter inline six.
Old 3/1/12, 11:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you may have already decided. Let me say this, there's nothing like the sound of an American built V8. Even the German's can't replicate that sweet growl.
Old 3/1/12, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a lot in that post. To try and address your concern, there are many guys on here coming from M3's that feel they have been able to accomplish better handling in the Mustang, and many who have gone straight to a Boss that feel it comes that way from the factory.

Regarding quality, I would submit that your perception of that is dated quite a bit. The Mustang and Ford's in general regularly score better in quality metrics than the german manufacturers.

One area I feel Ford is down to BMW however is in dealer service, so I'd suggest to check out your local dealers and find one you like. And I simply mean that BMW provides a nicer dealer experience, on the flip side, you pay for it.

Good luck.
Old 3/1/12, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I suggest you watch this video. It should make your decision a little easier.

Old 3/1/12, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

keep in mind the price difference too. As you know, a 335is starts at $52,000. That's a boss plus some! Obviously things like the interior are going to be much more refined in the BMW because of this cost difference. That said, I LOVE the premium package interior. As for performance, the 5.0 will make a 335is look silly. You obviously enjoyed your test drive. Be an American!!
Old 3/1/12, 12:25 PM

To add on to what everyone else is saying, I wanna point out that what you're reading about transmission problems, etc are only a select few. If you don't plan on heavily modding your GT, the car will last you forever.

I had a 2007 GT with 81K miles on it...still had the original clutch and everything was running great. Never had any problems with it.

Surely the fact that maintenance is included with BMW is a pro, until you reach the end of the maintenance plan. In comparison a BMW service will cost you a bit more than Ford.
Before I bought my '12 GT, I was also considering a M6, which is a sweet car, but the problem with that one is that once it's out of warranty, you'll be paying top dollars for maintenance. As an example, just to replace the clutch, you'll be looking at 12K in parts only

In the end, no car is perfect and I may be biased but I can definitely assure you that build quality in american cars, especially with Ford, has gone way up

Good luck with your purchase and hope that you can join the mustang club soon!
Old 3/1/12, 12:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
The BMW is what it's been for decades. The mustang has made some serious advances in composure on the track and while you can compare the BMW to a final draft, the mustang is no longer a figurative first draft anymore--it's become a mature version of itself while still offering low end power that BMW's don't embrace with the 3 series. Aesthically, you're looking at a better interior vs an improved interior along with the sound that can only come from an American V8.

The two cars are probably not cross-shopped very often because of the difference in price but the mustang is definitely a competitor on the street. It's not just a straight line car anymore.
Old 3/1/12, 01:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

2011 GT commercial, but i'm sure i'll get the point through !

Old 3/1/12, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you may have already decided. Let me say this, there's nothing like the sound of an American built V8. Even the German's can't replicate that sweet growl.
I dunno, have you heard some of the AMG Mercedes V8s? Those sound amazing, although pricier of course.

Oh and BTW the Mustang engine is made in Windsor, Ontario so I guess it's more technically "North-American built" lol
Old 3/1/12, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by jedikd

Oh and BTW the Mustang engine is assembled in Windsor, Ontario so I guess it's more technically "North-American built" lol
Fixed
Old 3/1/12, 02:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you've got a 2012 BMW and you're thinking of getting rid of it? Call me a cheapskate but there's no way I could justify selling a brand new car and getting slaughtered on the first year depreciation. All cars depreciate but the amount of depreciation in that first year is huge. Regardless of the merits of the cars, I'd drive what you've got for a few years and get your money's worth out of it.
Old 3/1/12, 03:14 PM
GT Member

^^^ This, what RandyW says... ^^^

You've got the BMW just how you want it and you aren't quite satisfied. I don't mean to sound like a douche here - but - I don't think you'd ever be satisfied with a Mustang; much different car. You sound sort of high-maintenance, like a BMW that is out of warranty.
Old 3/1/12, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

For your three concerns (Sorry for the long post)

1. Handling has definitely grown in this 11-13 era from the factory. The car does dive when braking and roll a little but truthfully it doesn't bother me whatsoever (its what I expect a car to do cause I havent driven much). I plan on dropping the car an inch with the FRPP P springs in the future to improve stiffness but in the stock form she's a great handler.

2. Service is hit and miss with any brand. I've heard horror stories across the board from GM, BMW, Ford, etc.. The thing is people flock to the internet to complain and dont really go get a second opinion from another dealer. I've had great service so far and havent really needed any major servicing. I do everything myself anyway.

3. Quality. I definitely say quality is top notch on the car. I've heard stores of 06 GT's at 150 - 200k an only needing new alternators and batteries. These forums can be really deceiving when it comes to judge the overall build quality of a vehicle. I learned early on that when it comes to the tranny, it likes to be shifted a very particular way. Don't let the internet get the best of you with this cars quality. (now that rear tranny bracket....well thats another story. )

You would definitely enjoy the car and for the price you cant beat it. I absolutely love my baby and would trade her for the world.
Old 3/1/12, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with the others, if you're driving around in a modded $50k+ 2012 335i you will take a MAJOR hit on the BMW when it comes time to trade it in, (at least $10-15k is my guess?)

Unless you have a killer deal lined up with someone wanting to buy your car and all it's mods, wait till the 2015 Mustang comes out.
Old 3/1/12, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jedikd
Oh and BTW the Mustang engine is made in Windsor, Ontario so I guess it's more technically "North-American built" lol
Not mine.
Old 3/1/12, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by RandyW
So you've got a 2012 BMW and you're thinking of getting rid of it? Call me a cheapskate but there's no way I could justify selling a brand new car and getting slaughtered on the first year depreciation. All cars depreciate but the amount of depreciation in that first year is huge. Regardless of the merits of the cars, I'd drive what you've got for a few years and get your money's worth out of it.
its a lease. as much as i love german cars, i would never make the mistake of actually buying one.... i guess that says a lot haha. so basically it costs me nothing to get rid of it, someone will just take over the lease, and I've only paid a few months payments since i also did not make the mistake of putting anything down. the mods will come off and get sold. so getting rid of it is not a big issue. but keep the feedback comin, i appreciate your inputs. its a tough decision haha. I'm not high maintenance but I expect a lot out of my car and i expect it to deliver. i don't think its a ridiculous statement to say that a perfect sports car exists. i think it does exist in many forms. anyway, as far as quality goes, how solid is the mustang? i mean i know i won't be doing this on a regular basis but I've been 180+ in german cars and it felt solid even at those speeds. obviously i don't know, but i feel like a mustang would not be stable over 130.
Old 3/1/12, 05:40 PM

also I don't mean to sound "stuck up" but i just like weighing all the factors in. think of it as a disorganized pros and cons list. plus I've got a few months before the 13's really start hitting the showrooms.
Old 3/1/12, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
The BMW is what it's been for decades. The mustang has made some serious advances in composure on the track and while you can compare the BMW to a final draft, the mustang is no longer a figurative first draft anymore--it's become a mature version of itself while still offering low end power that BMW's don't embrace with the 3 series. Aesthically, you're looking at a better interior vs an improved interior along with the sound that can only come from an American V8.

The two cars are probably not cross-shopped very often because of the difference in price but the mustang is definitely a competitor on the street. It's not just a straight line car anymore.
thats a great way to break it down. and yeah thats what makes this a tough decision is that they're such different cars, they're not compared pretty much ever. if this was a camaro vs 5.0 thread..... well it wouldn't because if you have to ask that question you should have your license revoked. but you know what i mean.

Quick Reply: To Mustang, or Not to Mustang?