2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Mustang GT w/Brembo VS California Special

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/10, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mustang GT w/Brembo VS California Special

Hey everyone, I am looking to purchase a 2011 Mustang GT and I am looking for some thoughts on different models. I am looking at the following Mustang options (and they are all within $400 of each other):

1. Black Mustang GT Premium with 3.73 and Brembo
2. Black Mustang GT Premium with red interior, 3.73, and Brembo
3. Black or Red Mustang GT/CS with 3.73

I am looking for any thoughts on this topic. I know that many people out there have made a decision like this, but I have not seen a thread on it. I love both the rim choices, the 5.0 badge, and the CS stripe (Black on Black looks really awesome). This is surely not going to be a daily driver. I should also note that I am in my mid 20's, engaged, and kids will soon follow. So, I will have this car for a long time.

So, which would you pick? Please flood this thread with thoughts!
Old 8/12/10, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Black Premium with 3.73 and Brembos. I for one love everything about the CS except that **** grill, that's what stopped me from getting a CS. As for the interior, well red really isn't my thing when it comes to interior color. I personally love the black interior on these cars.
Old 8/12/10, 11:07 AM
V6 Member

I have the Brembo Package and 3.73...you can always change the appearance down the road to the GT/CS valance for about $500.00. I'd rather have the bigger brakes. I'm not a fan of the red but it does look good with a black car!!!!! Good luck with your choice.
Old 8/12/10, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not have one yet either, so I am having a similar debate in my head. Love both rims, love the thought of higher performance in the Brembo package, love the IDEA of a SE package for the CS, but here is what is hanging me up...
Not crazy about the rear wing on the CS - I'd rather have the backup camera.
The rims on the CS look awesome in person - big +
Not crazy about the faux carbon inserts on the seats - I gotta be honest, they look a feel kinda cheap - not sure how well they will wear over time.
would rather have squared side scoops, like last gen CS, not crazy about the more feminine swoopy scoops on the new CS.
Not crazy about the front grill either...well I guess the rims is about all I like on it.
I think I just talked myself out of the CS package.

The only down side I see on the Brembo package is the expensive tires that will most likely not last more than 12000 miles. Not sure what the standard tires are gonna cost, but they are probably a lot less than the ones on the Brembo cars - someone who knows more, feel free to chime in on tire replacement costs.

So I guess, I personally, would go for the Black 5.0 with Premium Interior (red leather - yes, but I'd change the steering wheel to a GT500 wheel), 3.73 gears, backup camera and get aftermarket rims. Glass roof is a nice touch too.
Old 8/12/10, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

The front and rear facia for the CS are now an option on the Build Your Own sight. So you can have it added at the dealer or when you order it. Grill is another new option. So at least it would come on the car painted the right color.
Old 8/12/10, 12:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by VALCAD

The only down side I see on the Brembo package is the expensive tires that will most likely not last more than 12000 miles. Not sure what the standard tires are gonna cost, but they are probably a lot less than the ones on the Brembo cars - someone who knows more, feel free to chime in on tire replacement costs.
with my former car (german stuttgart), i used sumitomo HTZ IIIs and found them to be an exceptional value. way cheaper than the N-rated tires that came with the car. nearly the same level of performance at 1/2 the cost and quieter than p-zeros after a few thousand miles. i plan on getting them again for my 5.0 when the time comes.
Old 8/12/10, 01:38 PM
GT Member

Get the Brembos, theres more to it then brakes. I would add outside appearance idems later. Ronn
Old 8/12/10, 02:46 PM
V6 Member

I have the same dilemma as you. On one hand, I like just about everything regarding the CS (the front, the spoiler, interior), except the CS part.. I don't really care for the stripe, but what I really hate is the GT/CS emblem on the side instead of the 5.0.

So, I'd figure I'd go with the Brembos, but then I thought about how much more expensive it will be to replace those odd-sized tires (255s on 9 inch wide rim), and of course the cost of replacing the brakes themselves.

In the end, I think I will probably either go with the CS, or just get a Premium GT and spend that extra money on some nicer rims/tires (275s on a 9.5 inch wide rim).
Old 8/12/10, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I went with the CS based on the cost of tires alone and haven't regretted it for a minute.
Old 8/12/10, 06:40 PM
Cobra R Member

If planning on having for long time...i would want #3

I know when i go to mustang shows im always drawn to the special edition mustangs....
Old 8/12/10, 06:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5OH3OH2
Hey everyone, I am looking to purchase a 2011 Mustang GT and I am looking for some thoughts on different models. I am looking at the following Mustang options (and they are all within $400 of each other):

1. Black Mustang GT Premium with 3.73 and Brembo
2. Black Mustang GT Premium with red interior, 3.73, and Brembo
3. Black or Red Mustang GT/CS with 3.73

I am looking for any thoughts on this topic. I know that many people out there have made a decision like this, but I have not seen a thread on it. I love both the rim choices, the 5.0 badge, and the CS stripe (Black on Black looks really awesome). This is surely not going to be a daily driver. I should also note that I am in my mid 20's, engaged, and kids will soon follow. So, I will have this car for a long time.

So, which would you pick? Please flood this thread with thoughts!
My personal thoughts would be to scratch #3. Now 1 and 2 are a tough call. I test drove a 2010 trac pack black with the brick interior and it was fantastic with the red. I bought a 2011 black on black with 401a cashmere tripe. I would still be on the fence if I was buying today about the brick interior but if you put both cars in front of me I would get in the brick car (kinda wish I would have went that direction).
Old 8/12/10, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

For people that complain about the Brembo's tire prices....there are other options besides Pirelli's PZero. You can also go 245/40-19 for more options and better prices.

When the Camaro came out the RS/2SS PZero were like $400+ each but now they are about $208 each at TireRack. I predict the same will happen in our case given that the Brembo option is selling very well and more car manufactures are offering 19" wheels as an option.
Old 8/12/10, 07:59 PM

Wow, these are some good responses... I really appreciate the insight. I would like to comment on a few comments (if that makes sense): 1. Blackout2k11 - I totally agree about the grill. No matter what, I would get this grill: http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...ille-2010.html. What do you think? I love the dark look. I would sacrifice the fog lamps on the GT for this grille. 2. VALCAD - I actually like the spoiler. It also seems to hide the "trunk wart" which is nice. The carbon inserts on the dash are nice, but the seats might be a little too much. Yeah, the tires are expensive, but I would love to throw on some drag radials after the treads wear out. 3. tom_vilsack - Thats the main reason why I would want a CS because not everyone has one like a 5.0 (although the 5.0 is the reason why I am getting this pony) and I look at it as kinda unique.

Any other thoughts? Thanks everyone.
Old 8/12/10, 08:19 PM
V6 Member

If you're "well off" and making some good bucks, than the GT Premium with Brembos. If you're just starting out and looking at a house down payment/kids future and money is tight, forget spending $35K on a new car with all the associated expenses and insurance and concentrate on your new family. Or if somewhere in the middle, a plain 'ol Base GT for $28k is still a hell of a value leader and a blast to drive.
Old 8/12/10, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

If I were to have purchased a 5.0, it would have been the GT/CS because I just don't go for the big fog lights in the grille.
Old 8/12/10, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Easy, Black/Red hands down for me.
Old 8/13/10, 12:35 AM
Cobra R Member

does this help ;-)

Old 8/13/10, 12:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
does this help ;-)

does this help ;-P
Attached Thumbnails Mustang GT w/Brembo VS California Special-2010-06-21-19.47.07.jpg   Mustang GT w/Brembo VS California Special-2010-06-22-17.57.39.jpg  
Old 8/13/10, 05:19 AM

Yeah, that car is really nice looking... You have a nice pony, Hokie. What would be nice is if Ford offered the "Dark Chrome" grille as a $0 option! Not $265 or whatever it is. But those are some awesome pics. I can stare at Mustang pics all day.
Old 8/13/10, 05:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 5OH3OH2
I should also note that I am in my mid 20's, engaged, and kids will soon follow. So, I will have this car for a long time.

Sorry, I had to laugh a little bit when I read this.....You'll be trading in this car for a 13mpg SUV as soon as the first kid is born.

Anyway I'd probably chose #2 but it would be tough choice over #3. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT w/Brembo VS California Special