Old 1/3/13 | 07:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Mustang Finishes Behind Camaro for 2012

But not by much!!

Battle of the Pony Cars:

Chevrolet Camaro 84,391, Down -4.4% from 2011
beat
Ford Mustang 82,995, up +17.8% from 2012

At least the Mustang sales improved, showing that the 2013 changes really helped the sales. Camaro sales are starting to slip....maybe we will finally beat them in 2013!
Old 1/3/13 | 07:36 PM
V6 Member

There are more rental Camaros than Mustangs.

FWIW, I've personally seen about 40 new Camaros sitting at the Enterprise hub for this area, only a couple Mustangs.
Old 1/3/13 | 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Camaros still suck. No matter how many they sell.
Old 1/3/13 | 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Attached Images   

Last edited by rm2092; 1/3/13 at 07:50 PM.
Old 1/3/13 | 07:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by blairnr67
Camaros still suck. No matter how many they sell.
^^^ This ^^^
Old 1/3/13 | 08:48 PM
GTR Member

Only 1,396 cars between them, closest year in sales recently. The more telling I fo is the % change, as it appears buyers are losing interest in Camaro. The Mustang, on the other hand, appears to be doing well from the 2013 refresh.
Old 1/3/13 | 09:59 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

What about rebates, any data on that? If Ford were offering good discounts on Mustang that could sway things (typically the first thing my Brand-X buddies like to bring up, heavy discounts abound on Mustang with little or no incentives on Camaro).
Old 1/4/13 | 12:01 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by bob
What about rebates, any data on that? If Ford were offering good discounts on Mustang that could sway things (typically the first thing my Brand-X buddies like to bring up, heavy discounts abound on Mustang with little or no incentives on Camaro).
There's also a higher profit margin for ford on the mustang. Making it easier to offer rebates
Old 1/4/13 | 05:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bob
I don't know how many members there are on the Camaro5 site, but all but about 5 of them will say the Mustang sucks in every way and they wouldn't drive one if Ford was giving them away. Rental market may be the difference. The styling is so radically different, I don't think rebates play into it.
Old 1/4/13 | 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

While I will admit I never drove one, my son has (v8)....said while it was fast he felt like he was in a tank looking out of those little slits.....myself, i just can't get past the Camaro's interior...for me the Mustangs interior was so much nicer even in base trim ( I just didn't like the look of the Camaro's interior), I like the Mustang exterior much better, and based on the million reviews I read, the Mustang was faster (v6), handled and rode better, shifted better, had more interior room and was just better overall.....plus even with performance package it was out the door for under 24k...no brainer....
Old 1/4/13 | 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Just wondering, does anyone know how many Corvettes were built in 2012 ? Scott
Old 1/4/13 | 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sgallison
Just wondering, does anyone know how many Corvettes were built in 2012 ? Scott
My latest Motor Trend mag states that GM sold more Chevy Volts than Corvettes....

As to the Mustang verses Camaro....would'nt matter to be who sells more; I prefer the style of the Mustang.
Old 1/4/13 | 05:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Meh...I want good sales for both. Looks like competition is strong these days.

Old 1/4/13 | 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

Mustang Finishes Behind Camaro for 2012

Not at the Drag Strip.
Old 1/5/13 | 01:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob
The current incentives on all Camaros, except the ZL1 is 0% for 72 months.
I don't see Ford having to make offers like that.
Old 1/5/13 | 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I see maybe 1 camaro to every 5 mustangs around this area.
Old 1/5/13 | 02:15 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Originally Posted by Womprat
I see maybe 1 camaro to every 5 mustangs around this area.
This is Camaro central here. It's rare to see a nice mustang. Whatever GM is doing to beat the mustang sales, Ford better take some notes. One thing I did hear from a dealership owner is that it is tough to get cars from Ford. Our local dealership may have 4 mustangs on the lot at any given time if they are lucky. The Chevy dealer always keeps camaros stocked up. Don't know if that explains it but people are impulse buyers. If it ain't on the lot, it gives people too much time to second guess.
Old 1/5/13 | 02:30 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
This is Camaro central here. It's rare to see a nice mustang. Whatever GM is doing to beat the mustang sales, Ford better take some notes. One thing I did hear from a dealership owner is that it is tough to get cars from Ford. Our local dealership may have 4 mustangs on the lot at any given time if they are lucky. The Chevy dealer always keeps camaros stocked up. Don't know if that explains it but people are impulse buyers. If it ain't on the lot, it gives people too much time to second guess.
More Mustangs here.

In the end its about profitability. If Ford is keeping inventory close to sales to help the bottom line, that makes more sense then GM piszing taxpayer money to keep a high inventory just so they can win a sales contest.

There's still pent up demand for camaro going on - prob moreso down south than other areas.

Course with the government putting the local gm dealer out of business didn't help anything - sales or employment.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/5/13 at 02:35 PM.
Old 1/5/13 | 03:38 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Originally Posted by cdynaco

More Mustangs here.

In the end its about profitability. If Ford is keeping inventory close to sales to help the bottom line, that makes more sense then GM piszing taxpayer money to keep a high inventory just so they can win a sales contest.

There's still pent up demand for camaro going on - prob moreso down south than other areas.

Course with the government putting the local gm dealer out of business didn't help anything - sales or employment.
Yeah I'm with you on that.

The one thing I really don't care for is the people saying one car is better than the other. GT vs' SS. There's no one better car out the two. I know this is a mustang site so its a biased crowd but constantly people posting that the Mustang will kick the Camaro's *** is just ignorance. It's completely on the driver in a race. All other aspects of both is up to personal preference. If I was in the market for a GT or SS, it would be a toss up. I really don't care for either in stock form. Seems like American sales must like the Camaro just a little bit more. Either way I say good job by both companies for decent sales last year.
Old 1/5/13 | 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlsCobra

Yeah I'm with you on that.

The one thing I really don't care for is the people saying one car is better than the other. GT vs' SS. There's no one better car out the two. I know this is a mustang site so its a biased crowd but constantly people posting that the Mustang will kick the Camaro's *** is just ignorance. It's completely on the driver in a race. .
idk about its the driver because I'm brother is 18 with two years of driving experience and can beat my dads camero ss pretty easy in his 5.0 and my dads been driven for 43 years.

Quick Reply: Mustang Finishes Behind Camaro for 2012