Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Mustang build quality vs camaro/challenger

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/11, 04:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang build quality vs camaro/challenger

Just curious if any of you guys had the chance to sit in all 3 cars in their current generation how's the build quality of the stang stand up to the competition,like door panels shift ***** noises and rattles etc.I haven't seen any reviews online that touch this topic,I'm not trying to start a muscle car war here lol just curious.
Old 7/5/11, 04:51 PM
Cobra Member

I've had rattles. Fixed 2 myself, which were the speedo /tach bezzles. The blower motor is getting replaced as soon as the new one arrives at the dealer. These cars aren't Lexus' orMercedes 500 series. These cars are made to go fast and hold together (mt82 exception ). I really never understood buying a loaded mustang, camaro, or challenger with GPS and all the Bells and whistles. If that's what you want, then get the cars designed for that stuff. The muscle cars are made to go fast at the expense of a few rattles and build quality issues that come up from time to time. My 93 notchback rattled like **** but it went 10.80's@125. Guess you have to decide what's more important to your own liking.
Old 7/5/11, 07:16 PM
V6 Member

Ur 100% right,my previous car had the leather,heated steering wheel blah blah blah I knew coming to a stang I would lose this I didn't care lol I love this car just wondering if the challenger and Camaro are any better or worse.
Old 7/5/11, 07:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A fully loaded Mustang is actually a pretty nice car. The only crappy bits are the horrible plastic door panels. The leather and everything else though is very nice.
Old 7/5/11, 07:36 PM

In todays world there is no reason not to be able to build a high quality muscle car especially at todays prices. I expect high quality otherwise
someone else will get my dollars. The Mustang is a well built auto, it should be better in some areas since Ford can do it. Paint, fit/finish, durable materials
should not be an issue.

Last edited by AU 5.0; 7/5/11 at 07:40 PM.
Old 7/5/11, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Only reason I got a premium is bc its a dd. If it woulda been a 2nd car I woulda gone base.
Old 7/5/11, 08:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I drove all three and the Mustang won. The Camaro is not ergonomically friendly and if you're short you wiil be lucky to see out the windows. The Challenger is a nice car with lots of room and very comfortable. It drives good but won't run with the Stang. I traded a 2007 GT so I am a little bias.
Also the 2011 is a 100% improvement over the 2007 in quality and performance.

Last edited by TheReaper; 7/5/11 at 08:23 PM. Reason: to add stuff
Old 7/5/11, 08:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 11000 plus miles on my 2011. No problems at all. The MT82 is getting better every day I drive it. No clutch problems, and not a squeek or rattle. This is not a garage queen. I drove it through the winter with 18" Blizzaks all around, and it was great in the snow and ice.

I considered the Camaro because I was a Pontiac Firebird fan back in the '70's and actually owned two in the early '80's (not the bat mobile models), but the interior just turned me off. Outward vision was also a disaster. The Challenger was never a contender, way to heavy.

My '07 GT/CS was a great car, again no problems over the almost three years I owned it. So, Mustang was a no brainer. Still love the sound of the 5.0 going through the gears onto the interstate. Always brings a smile
Old 7/5/11, 09:00 PM

Prior to purchasing my 2011 GT/CS, I test drove a 2011 Dodge Challenger. I certainly have never had any love, nor respect for dodge vehicles -- mainly from reading consumer reports and such. That said, I wasnt totally disgusted with the Challenger's interior, but I think that the quality in the Ford interior is a little better. I mainly drive BMW, and the 'Stang is a toy vehicle for me. So of course I compare it to my 525. I have to say I was certainly impressed with the interior quality of the Stang. Yes the door panels have quite a bit of that shiny-hard pressed plastic look, but I can overlook a few things in turn for its powerful motor, and looks it brings from bystanders.
Old 7/5/11, 09:12 PM
V6 Member

Yeah the headroom in the Camaro is basically non existent lol
Old 7/5/11, 09:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
A fully loaded Mustang is actually a pretty nice car. The only crappy bits are the horrible plastic door panels. The leather and everything else though is very nice.
Meh. Have you sat in the new Focus? It kind of puts our cars to shame. That's what excites me about the next-gen Mustang. The interior is going to be killer. I really like the direction Ford interiors are going. MyFord Touch is somewhat buggy and slow right now, but it should only improve with time. Once it hits the Mustang I hope it's even more sophisticated with an Internet browser, snappier UI, more voice recognition, better Sync voice, etc. The 500-watt Sony stereo that's likely to come with it will be a long awaited upgrade as well.

Last edited by Adam; 7/5/11 at 09:18 PM.
Old 7/5/11, 09:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Adam
Meh. Have you sat in the new Focus? It kind of puts our cars to shame. That's what excites me about the next-gen Mustang. The interior is going to be killer. I really like the direction Ford interiors are going. MyFord Touch is somewhat buggy and slow right now, I'm hoping it gets improved once it's introduced these cars.
I have. The new interiors are definitely nice. I feel like the current Mustangs are pretty nice save for the plastic doors. They are terrible. Everything else is pretty good... on par with my 370Z which is very nice inside.
Old 7/5/11, 09:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
I have. The new interiors are definitely nice. I feel like the current Mustangs are pretty nice save for the plastic doors. They are terrible. Everything else is pretty good... on par with my 370Z which is very nice inside.
I guess the flat center stack, dated looking steering wheel, and poorly designed gauges kind of ruin it for me. I believe all three of these things will change greatly next-gen and be a muscle car version of what the Focus has after the most recent ground-up redesign. I really like the dash though, the material feels nice and the classic "eye brows" make it a great shape. I wouldn't be surprised if the dash doesn't get changed greatly. Agreed on the plastic doors, that's gotta be my #1 complaint. Still, compared to it's current competition I think I like the Mustang's interior the most. Maybe second to the 370Z, although admittedly I've never spent much time in one and you have.

Last edited by Adam; 7/5/11 at 09:29 PM.
Old 7/5/11, 09:26 PM
Cobra Member

Hopefully. I understand the interior styling of the Mustang for the whole "retro" thing, but I do believe they could do a better job with a modern design. And yeah, I really hate the gauges. They are borderline disgusting. :/ The rest of the car is great, though.
Old 7/5/11, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
I've had rattles. Fixed 2 myself, which were the speedo /tach bezzles. The blower motor is getting replaced as soon as the new one arrives at the dealer. These cars aren't Lexus' orMercedes 500 series. These cars are made to go fast and hold together (mt82 exception ). I really never understood buying a loaded mustang, camaro, or challenger with GPS and all the Bells and whistles. If that's what you want, then get the cars designed for that stuff. The muscle cars are made to go fast at the expense of a few rattles and build quality issues that come up from time to time. My 93 notchback rattled like **** but it went 10.80's@125. Guess you have to decide what's more important to your own liking.
What trouble have you had with your mt82?
Old 7/5/11, 09:39 PM
V6 Member

Rofl@borderline disgusting
Old 7/5/11, 11:06 PM
GT Member

I've sat in all three cars, driven two, own one, and have one on order. The Challenger probably has the worst exterior fit and finish of the three, but it's not bad, with the Camaro and Ford being a bit better and equal to each other. Most Challengers I've seen have a few very minor paint blemishes (dust) and slightly uneven panel gaps, but most people probably wouldn't notice. In terms of the interior, the Camaro is dead last. It has tons of cheap plastic, is small and uncomfortable, and has terrible visibility. The Challenger and Mustang are about equal in terms of interior, with each having a few cheap bits but overall being pretty nice. The Challenger has more comfortable seats and much more room while the Mustang (in premium trim) has more of a "wow" factor with its metallic bits, but the Challenger is just as good, albeit simpler and darker.

As for how all the cars compare with more expensive cars, let me just say that BMW and Mercedes are not what they used to be and I'm not really fond of Audi's interior aesthetics within the last five years. Personally, I think the Europeans and Japanese have really cheapened their interiors in the last decade while the Americans have really stepped up their game.
Old 7/5/11, 11:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87

What trouble have you had with your mt82?
I have an auto thank God. Just do a search on all of the issues with it.
Old 7/5/11, 11:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Focus interior
Attached Thumbnails Mustang build quality vs camaro/challenger-wallpaper_2012_ford_focus_interior_new_focus.jpg  
Old 7/6/11, 07:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Anthonynoz
Rofl@borderline disgusting
They are! I like the GT500 and Boss style guages, but hate the retro font in the GTs. It's difficult to read and looks tacky.

Apart from that I'm pretty happy with the interior of the car. The leather quality is nice. The steering wheel design is a little funky-retro but it is high quality. Radio buttons and steering wheel controls are comfortable to the touch... not hard/cheap feeling like in past Mustangs. My only other real quality issue with the interior is the doors... they are cheap plastic molds.

All-in-all it's a nice package. Like Justin said, it's nice with a few cheap bits. But definitely more nice bits than cheap ones.

Quick Reply: Mustang build quality vs camaro/challenger