2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

MT82 GETTING BETTER...

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/13, 01:05 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MT82 GETTING BETTER...

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I wanted to post this just to let you know what's going on with mine.

1. When the car was brand new, I had no notchy shifts from 1st to 2nd.
2. After a couple thousand miles, I started noticing a bit of the notchy characteristics.
3. That's been going on for 10K miles now.

However...

The last week or so, it seems to be going away. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true. It may be that I'm simply shifting at the right rpm. Also, with all of my manual trannys, I've always put left pressure on the shifter when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I've done this with the GT also. However, I've noticed that when I DON'T put left pressure and just pull the shifter straight back, it seems much smoother.

It's probably something that's only temporary and it may return to the previous notchy 1st to 2nd shifting by the weekend, but so far, I'm happy with what's going on. Maybe it's a wear issue on the shifter, or on the clutch, and maybe things and parts have just worn themselves into a more frictionless state. I don't know. Just wanted to share my experience on this. I like the way it is now. Hope it stays like that. Comments would be welcome.

Last edited by Michael Broadway; 10/10/13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10/10/13, 06:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
The tranny does respond better to more gentle inputs and accurate rev matching. Hope yours continues to feel good. I think some updates were made for 2014 as I have had none of the high RPM downshift issues others have had. But I am also being pretty easy with the tranny in terms of matching rpms and letting the shifter "fall" into the right gate
Old 10/10/13, 07:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
The tranny does respond better to more gentle inputs and accurate rev matching. Hope yours continues to feel good. I think some updates were made for 2014 as I have had none of the high RPM downshift issues others have had. But I am also being pretty easy with the tranny in terms of matching rpms and letting the shifter "fall" into the right gate
I think you're right that rev matching is a key input for less notchy shifts. Also, letting it fall into the gates seems to be preferable to side pressure, at least for my shifter. And from all the negative posts about the MT82 tranny, I really think it's the shifter rather than the actual transmission that's the cause of the notchy shifts. I'm not a mechanic, but that just seems to be the case, since those who have switched to an aftermarket shifter claim to have had great results.
Old 10/10/13, 07:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Michael Broadway
I think you're right that rev matching is a key input for less notchy shifts. Also, letting it fall into the gates seems to be preferable to side pressure, at least for my shifter. And from all the negative posts about the MT82 tranny, I really think it's the shifter rather than the actual transmission that's the cause of the notchy shifts. I'm not a mechanic, but that just seems to be the case, since those who have switched to an aftermarket shifter claim to have had great results.
It seems to really develop issues when revving over 7k from the discussions I've had with a couple friends with boss 302's. the GT's MT82s seem better when not abused at least.
Old 10/10/13, 07:20 PM
GT Member

I've never revved much over 5K on mine. So far. I did have one incident where I wanted to test it out. I took off, then went to WOT, and shifted from 1st to 2nd. Well, not really. I tried to shift from 1st to 2nd, but it wouldn't go any further than neutral, and I got a hellacious grinding sound. I'm still not sure what that was all about, but I'm pretty sure I had the clutch depressed all the way. I pulled it twice, each time resulted in that horrible grinding. So I let the rpms drop and opted for 3rd. No problem. I haven't had that issue since, so it may have been pilot error. I don't want to do that again.
Old 10/10/13, 07:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I wanted to post this just to let you know what's going on with mine. 1. When the car was brand new, I had no notchy shifts from 1st to 2nd. 2. After a couple thousand miles, I started noticing a bit of the notchy characteristics. 3. That's been going on for 10K miles now. However... The last week or so, it seems to be going away. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true. It may be that I'm simply shifting at the right rpm. Also, with all of my manual trannys, I've always put left pressure on the shifter when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I've done this with the GT also. However, I've noticed that when I DON'T put left pressure and just pull the shifter straight back, it seems much smoother. It's probably something that's only temporary and it may return to the previous notchy 1st to 2nd shifting by the weekend, but so far, I'm happy with what's going on. Maybe it's a wear issue on the shifter, or on the clutch, and maybe things and parts have just worn themselves into a more frictionless state. I don't know. Just wanted to share my experience on this. I like the way it is now. Hope it stays like that. Comments would be welcome.
If I pulled straight back without left pressure, I'd go into 4th. The MGW centering spring is doing its job. I don't even remember what it was like shifting stock shifter. I switched it out with an MGW. If you want to permanently resolve your notchiness, MGW is the way to go.
Old 10/10/13, 07:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
If I pulled straight back without left pressure, I'd go into 4th. The MGW centering spring is doing its job. I don't even remember what it was like shifting stock shifter. I switched it out with an MGW. If you want to permanently resolve your notchiness, MGW is the way to go.
I've heard great things about the MGW shifter. I'm not mechanically inclined, so that's probably outside my capabilities. I'm wondering if a dealer would do an install on something like that?
Old 10/10/13, 07:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Any private shop would install. I am happy enough with my drivetrain so far, but if I ever start having shifting issues i will definitely go with the MGW
Old 10/10/13, 07:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Regarding the 1-2 shift grinding - that seems strange. Sure you didn't let the clutch out a bit early? I have done that shift at redline "a few" times with no issues aside from breaking the tires loose. Which is a good problem to have!
Old 10/10/13, 07:31 PM
GT Member

It's possible that I let the clutch out too early. It must be my age. In high school I had a 64 Impala SS with a 327 4-speed. (Convertible). I used to take it to the local "drag strip" every Saturday night and never had any shifting issues. However, that was almost 50 years ago. Now that I think about it, that's probably the only thing it could have been. Pilot error.
Old 10/10/13, 07:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

It's possible that I let the clutch out too early. It must be my age. In high school I had a 64 Impala SS with a 327 4-speed. (Convertible). I used to take it to the local "drag strip" every Saturday night and never had any shifting issues. However, that was almost 50 years ago. Now that I think about it, that's probably the only thing it could have been. Pilot error.
At least your using the right pedal the way it wants to be used!
Old 10/10/13, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I just installed the 401A Shifter and got rid of the clunky plastic and leather one and you'd be amazed how much more precise it feels than the other... I never really had much of an issue with missed shifts except for when the skip shift doesn't want to let you into second and wants you in 4th :P but it just feels SO much more precise now oddly enough.
Old 10/11/13, 05:24 AM
Cobra Member

I've heard great things about the MGW shifter. I'm not mechanically inclined, so that's probably outside my capabilities. I'm wondering if a dealer would do an install on something like that?
While you might not be mechanically inclined, you can do this job yourself with basic tools and ramps in your driveway. Don't you have a friend, neighbor or relative that could assume the role do 'lead wrench' with you assisting with handing tools, providing cold beverages and food?

Honestly, the hardest part of the install is stretching out the new dust boot to fit properly. No doubt one of the most satisfying mods you can do yourself. If you have the stock shifter, the upgrade to the ball style feels better and looks cool. I'm biased to the Boss ****, but MGW and other vendors offer a ton of choices.

Watch the videos and have a look at this thread.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2653.0

Old 10/11/13, 05:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Pilot error is just a fact of driving a manual transmission.
If your drive one long enough you will make a mistake from time to time.
The notch you are feeling going to second when applying pressure towards the left is the reverse gate. I know because it happened to me on several occasions also. The best advice I can give you to understand what is happening is watch the MGW install video's. They give detailed instruction and show how the new shifter addresses all the shortcomings of the factory unit. After watching the vids I was sold. For still being a remote mount system the MGW feels like it is an old school trans mounted set up, yes it's that good.

Last edited by Black Fire; 10/11/13 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10/11/13, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorite kind of thread because I get to brag about how good my MT82 has been treating me. Almost 18k miles and not one problem with it. Laid down 30 feet of rubber the other day before slamming it into 2nd gear. Never misses.
Old 10/11/13, 08:55 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Best 2 posts on this thread and about MGW in general. The posts from ace and blackfire

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/11/13 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10/11/13, 01:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
My favorite kind of thread because I get to brag about how good my MT82 has been treating me. Almost 18k miles and not one problem with it. Laid down 30 feet of rubber the other day before slamming it into 2nd gear. Never misses.
And now it'll spontaneously combust
Old 10/11/13, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GRN 5OH
I've got 42K on mine and the MT82 has worked flawlessly, can't say the same about the factory shifter though. MGW went in around 20K and it only got better.
And I'm to old to lay 30 feet of rubber. Lol.
Old 10/11/13, 06:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
I've got 42K on mine and the MT82 has worked flawlessly, can't say the same about the factory shifter though. MGW went in around 20K and it only got better.
And I'm to old to lay 30 feet of rubber. Lol.
Never too old. Any tips on convincing my 60 y/o dad to get a mustang? He's lived a life of camrys and avalons... Would love to get him into cars again and attend some events with me!!
Old 10/11/13, 07:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Never too old. Any tips on convincing my 60 y/o dad to get a mustang? He's lived a life of camrys and avalons... Would love to get him into cars again and attend some events with me!!
I traded in a 2011 (purchased new) BMW 335ix for the Mustang and I've never looked back. Prior to the BMW I owned a Lexus 330ES. Before that, it was a Lexus LS. Since getting behind the wheel of the Mustang, I feel like a young man again (I'll be 65 in January.) Your dad would love it, I'm sure. Keep at it. Take him into a dealership and have him take a test drive, just the two of you. Just for a father-son outing. He might fall in love. Good luck.

Quick Reply: MT82 GETTING BETTER...