Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MT-82 Transmission: V6 vs V8

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/10, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MT-82 Transmission: V6 vs V8

Another topic of interest...although the 2011 V6 and V8 Mustangs share the "same transmission", both getting MT-82's, they do have differences. I thought it would be nice to have a thread detailing the differences between them.

For starters, I noticed that they have different gear ratios.

V6 / V8
1st: 4.236 / 3.66
2nd: 2.538 / 2.43
3rd: 1.665 / 1.69
4th: 1.238 / 1.32
5th: 1.00 / 1.00
6th: 0.70 / 0.65

I think they are also using different clutches. And though I have never seen it discussed, I seriously doubt the V6 transmission will be equipped with skip-shift.

A side note: Going back to my inquiry about how a 390 lb/ft engine could be used with a 375 lb/ft rated transmission, after doing some searching, I found a possible explanation -- the transmissions are probably rated based on their weakest link, and the 375 lb/ft may be for the overdrive gear which will probably never see the full 390 lb/ft of torque for extended periods. Not sure how fast you would have to be going to be at over 4k RPM in 6th. That, and the ratings are probably somewhat conservative to begin with.
Old 2/13/10, 06:11 PM
Cobra Member

hm, i thought the GT and V6 used different manual transmissions..
Old 2/13/10, 07:22 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Skotty

A side note: Going back to my inquiry about how a 390 lb/ft engine could be used with a 375 lb/ft rated transmission, after doing some searching, I found a possible explanation -- the transmissions are probably rated based on their weakest link, and the 375 lb/ft may be for the overdrive gear which will probably never see the full 390 lb/ft of torque for extended periods. Not sure how fast you would have to be going to be at over 4k RPM in 6th. That, and the ratings are probably somewhat conservative to begin with.
The rating also has RPM as a factor. Don't read too much into it. If you want a tough as nails trans get a TR6060. 610lb/ft. I doubt we'll see trans failures of the MT82 because of torque ( unless asinine power upgrades were performed ).
Old 2/13/10, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Skotty
Another topic of interest...although the 2011 V6 and V8 Mustangs share the "same transmission", both getting MT-82's, they do have differences. I thought it would be nice to have a thread detailing the differences between them.

For starters, I noticed that they have different gear ratios.

V6 / V8
1st: 4.236 / 3.66
2nd: 2.538 / 2.43
3rd: 1.665 / 1.69
4th: 1.238 / 1.32
5th: 1.00 / 1.00
6th: 0.70 / 0.65

I think they are also using different clutches. And though I have never seen it discussed, I seriously doubt the V6 transmission will be equipped with skip-shift.

I thought the hardest gear on a tranny was first gear do to the torque multiplication. Normally, you see the torque rating go up as first gear gets taller. I would expect the GT tranny to have a higher torque rating than the V6 tranny do to the gears. Maybe 375 is for the V6 and the GT will be rated for 450 is so do to taller gears?
Old 8/30/19, 08:41 PM

S197 GT Coyote and S197 V6 Mustang transmissions

Originally Posted by Red Jay
The manual transmissions for the V6 s197 and the s197 coyote GT, are different. I purchased a transmission for a good price and was told it absolutely came from a 2012 GT.
It did not!! We only found out about it after taking it apart and
seeing the differences in the housing its self along with the
gears and shafts.
Old 9/4/19, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by gpquinney
The manual transmissions for the V6 s197 and the s197 coyote GT, are different. I purchased a transmission for a good price and was told it absolutely came from a 2012 GT.
It did not!! We only found out about it after taking it apart and
seeing the differences in the housing its self along with the
gears and shafts.
Well done, you resurrected a 9 year old thread! With how dead this board is now, guess it's good to see any activity!

Last edited by kylerohde; 9/26/19 at 12:55 PM.
Old 9/7/19, 07:05 PM

Yea, imagine that. That what I might add to any of these posts might actually help some one looking for answers or heres a novel idea....why dont you try and spend your time trying to help other folks instead of trying to be the smartest guy on this forum. Clearly your not. After all your comments you contributed absolutely nothing. I hope you at least made yourself feel a little better about your crummy life in your moms basement, or you crapy marriage and your dead end job or there might be that your jealous that some of us here actually want to do great things with our cars. And don't really have time for morons like you, because we are to busy actually completing our visions for what we want to acomplish with our Mustangs. Honestly if you feel the need
to add a meaningless retort, or more senseless ramblings.....
Dont. This is not really an open ended discussion. It is however, my comentary on your apparent lack of brain power
and dismall hope for some sort of intelligence. Basically buddy. There is no real need to hear from you ever again.
Old 9/7/19, 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yea, imagine that. That what I might add to any of these posts might actually help some one looking for answers or heres a novel idea....why dont you try and spend your time trying to help other folks instead of trying to be the smartest guy on this forum. Clearly your not. After all your comments you contributed absolutely nothing. I hope you at least made yourself feel a little better about your crummy life in your moms basement, or you crapy marriage and your dead end job or there might be that your jealous that some of us here actually want to do great things with our cars. And don't really have time for morons like you, because we are to busy actually completing our visions for what we want to acomplish with our Mustangs. Honestly if you feel the need
Dont. This is not really an open ended discussion. It is however, my comentary on your apparent lack of brain power
and dismall hope for some sort of intelligence. Basically buddy. There is no real need to hear from you ever again.
That was long - well done! ??
The following users liked this post:
David Young (9/12/19)
Old 9/10/19, 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 554 Likes on 360 Posts
And to think we all like Kyle, he is there interjecting important stuff most of the time.
I guess you are just a little butt hurt cause he didn't say
"DING DING DING" we have our weekly winner for waking up the oldest thread from the past, 9 years
Old 9/10/19, 01:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 554 Likes on 360 Posts
I myself would have taken it back the second I saw it was different since you paid for a GT trans and Got a V6.
Old 9/10/19, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
What Siber Said. We like Kyle.He has more real world miles on his Mustang than most of us dream of. Respect from Germany. Try getting the right P/N next time fool.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 9/10/19 at 02:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Siber Express (9/10/19)
Old 9/10/19, 06:46 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,661 Posts
Simply refuse to be offended is my mantra!
Old 9/12/19, 04:26 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Shouldn't bash someone we've known and liked for many years. . That's all I'm going to say...……...……......…...…...…...…........
Old 9/12/19, 09:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
And to think we all like Kyle, he is there interjecting important stuff most of the time.
I guess you are just a little butt hurt cause he didn't say
"DING DING DING" we have our weekly winner for waking up the oldest thread from the past, 9 years
Originally Posted by Siber Express
I myself would have taken it back the second I saw it was different since you paid for a GT trans and Got a V6.
Originally Posted by David Young
Shouldn't bash someone we've known and liked for many years. . That's all I'm going to say...……...……......…...…...…...…........
lol. Thanks you guys. Cheers!
Old 1/23/20, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Red Jay
That's what I thought too. The 3.7 V-6 uses a manual trans that is unique by the fact it has a very unusual bellhousing and bolt pattern. As far as I can find it is the only manual trans that will bolt to the Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost engine. Someone please check me on this.

Randy
Old 1/23/20, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
I thought the hardest gear on a tranny was first gear do to the torque multiplication. Normally, you see the torque rating go up as first gear gets taller. I would expect the GT tranny to have a higher torque rating than the V6 tranny do to the gears. Maybe 375 is for the V6 and the GT will be rated for 450 is so do to taller gears?
I have heard that car/light truck transmissions are proof tested using a 10,000lb standard vehicle weight. (please don't laugh) So the theory is that manual transmissions react to the mass they are trying to move and not just the theoretical max torque of the engine. I/E, a lightweight car is much easier to accelerate than a 10,000lb dump truck. Hence actual torque that a light car requires to get moving is much less than trying to accelerate a 10,000lb boat anchor. So by this example, the torque is available from the engine, but the peak torque required by the whole system will be less than what the engine is capable of producing. Which means your lightweight race car may never demand peak torque from the engine. This in theory shows how an engine producing 400ft/lbs torque will possibly work fine with a transmission designed for 300ft/lbs max.

So someone please debunk the above paragraph. For one I suspect that testing is done using a dynamometer not a heavy vehicle.
Old 6/18/20, 02:13 AM

So here are the differences besides the bolt pattern. The gear ratio are different like you posted. you can put a complete GT gear set in the V6 housing. Problem in doing so is the output speed sensor will read wrong and you need to tune for it because the GT has more teeth to read than the V6. Currently working getting the straightened out. The difference in the clutch is the GT uses a solid flywheel where the V6 uses a dual mass. The pressure plates are very similar other than i think the GT will have more bolts holes to bolt to the flywheel. The only difference in the disk is the type of spring in the disk hub. Now, you can bolt a GT clutch into a V6 but your throw out bearing will need a .75 inch spacer and you are good to go.
Old 6/21/20, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah, what he said.....
Old 3/10/22, 12:50 PM

swap

So i’ve been having issue with my mt82 from my 5.0 and I found an mt82 from a v6. Would this be a recommended swap to do?
Old 3/10/22, 12:59 PM

swap

So i’ve been having issue with my mt82 from my 5.0 and I found an mt82 from a v6. Would this be a recommended swap to do?

Quick Reply: MT-82 Transmission: V6 vs V8