Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MT 82 bracket install without ramps of lifting car?

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/13, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MT 82 bracket install without ramps of lifting car?

Is it possible to get under the car to install the bracket without a ramp or lift, or is the space to low?
Old 3/13/13, 06:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You would have about 5" of space to work in..............
Old 3/13/13, 07:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by PSUpony
Is it possible to get under the car to install the bracket without a ramp or lift, or is the space to low?
Go outside and see if you can even slide yourself underneath the car. Really not possible.
Old 3/13/13, 08:40 PM

not possible. i just installed mgw. need ramps or jack.
Old 3/14/13, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not unless you have a garage pit.
Old 3/14/13, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Impossible. Mine was too low so I had to ramp the rear and I was still squished. Don't forget to get a 10mm deep well socket and extension. They're essential
Old 3/15/13, 06:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Most ramps won't help either. Need SUV jack
Old 3/15/13, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rando
Most ramps won't help either. Need SUV jack
THIS (mostly). If your ramps are *just* high enough for you to squeeze your belly flub under, you'll have a case of Tyrannosaurus Arm for a week.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 3/15/13 at 01:03 PM.
Old 3/17/13, 04:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by fdesalvo

THIS (mostly). If your ramps are *just* high enough for you to squeeze your belly flub under, you'll have a case of Tyrannosaurus Arm for a week.
Hahaha. So true!!!
Old 3/17/13, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe if you put the rear tires on the curb to allow room to get under it.
Old 3/17/13, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Sky Hye
Hahaha. So true!!!
Yesterday I installed my GT500 ABs and it took me about 45 minutes. Wrenching like crazy. If I relax my hands, they close like I'm still holding the ratchet lol! Gotta stretch them puppies out!
Old 3/17/13, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by elkk
Maybe if you put the rear tires on the curb to allow room to get under it.
Interesting idea, has anyone tried it? Safe?
Old 3/17/13, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

If there's a curb, then there's an incline, so not ideal. Someone local should step up and help a brother out.
Old 3/17/13, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting idea, has anyone tried it? Safe?
If you chock your wheels, sure. But no curb is going to be high enough for you to squeeze under the car far enough back to get to the trans without destroying a bumper or rocker panels.
Old 3/17/13, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I did mine that way... The rear on rhino ramps, and I jacked up one side of the front on the side, just enough for me to slide in... It was tight, but I was able to do it
Old 3/17/13, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Interesting convo - and timely because I need to do my Steeda bracket, as well. I was under the impression that jacking up the rear would allow the drive shaft to drop a bit and provide additional clearance. I have some ramps that will give me 8" of lift which will give me at least 14" of clearance to play with.

GTstyles2, which bracket did you install?

Last edited by fdesalvo; 3/17/13 at 05:21 PM.
Old 3/17/13, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Interesting convo - and timely because I need to do my Steeda bracket, as well. I was under the impression that jacking up the rear would allow the drive shaft to drop a bit and provide additional clearance. I have some ramps that will give me 8" of lift which will give me at least 14" of clearance to play with.

The Barton short shifter with 2 post bracket
Old 3/19/13, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I finally bit the bullet and installed a new Steeda bracket as well. I was worried about the warranty but I was sick and tired of the crappy shifts during cold weather. Anyway, I tried rhino ramps from both the front wheels and the back. They gave me about 6 extra inches of clearance but I couldn't get my fat *** under the car. I tried my regular 3 ton jack and that definitely helped because I was able to get under.

Taking off the stock bracket wasn't very fun (hard to get a good angle) but after a few minutes of wiggling it'll come off. If you've done your exhaust you'll understand that it's pretty much the same issue you have with the hangers. Once removed install the new bushing and then put the bracket over it and you're done after bolting it on. I had a sore neck for about 3 days. Shifts are more solid but there's still notching from 1st to 2nd when the weather is under 30 degrees.

Last edited by Rando; 3/19/13 at 07:06 AM.
Old 3/19/13, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Gtstyles2
I did mine that way... The rear on rhino ramps, and I jacked up one side of the front on the side, just enough for me to slide in... It was tight, but I was able to do it
Originally Posted by Rando
I finally bit the bullet and installed a new Steeda bracket as well. I was worried about the warranty but I was sick and tired of the crappy shifts during cold weather. Anyway, I tried rhino ramps from both the front wheels and the back. They gave me about 6 extra inches of clearance but I couldn't get my fat *** under the car. I tried my regular 3 ton jack and that definitely helped because I was able to get under.

Taking off the stock bracket wasn't very fun (hard to get a good angle) but after a few minutes of wiggling it'll come off. If you've done your exhaust you'll understand that it's pretty much the same issue you have with the hangers. Once removed install the new bushing and then put the bracket over it and you're done after bolting it on. I had a sore neck for about 3 days. Shifts are more solid but there's still notching from 1st to 2nd when the weather is under 30 degrees.
Please, please tell me you both had jackstands under your car and weren't just using the jack itself. I have no desire to go to cnn.com and read about another person being crushed under their own car when a jack failed.
Old 3/19/13, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

OK, just to clarify - you guys are keeping your rear suspension loaded (wheels on ground or ramps)? If this is the case, I can install mine tonight. People have written that you need to keep the rear up on stands so the DS drops out of the way.

Quick Reply: MT 82 bracket install without ramps of lifting car?