Old 11/4/08, 11:32 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Blowers are so last year
Old 11/4/08, 11:34 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right on. the 5.0 will be it. its just a more advanced piece of machinery. if someone wants a big displacement pushrod motor then they know where to go
Old 11/4/08, 02:14 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by max2000jp
Ford is lacking in displacement. GM's LS series engine makes great power and is very modable. Ford's only answer recently was a blower. Ford doesn't want a HP war with GM because frankly they would lose.
Ford has one advantage to GM. The camaro will always be limited due to the Corvette.

They can't get too close to performance and price where the mustang the sky is the limit!
Old 11/4/08, 02:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
Ford has one advantage to GM. The camaro will always be limited due to the Corvette.

They can't get too close to performance and price where the mustang the sky is the limit!
Or you can see it as a huge advantage. The Camaro benefits from Corvette technology and racing technology directly trickled down from the C6R. The Mustang really doesn't have that relationship. I guess the FR500C technology trickled down, but that series isn't as advanced.
Old 11/5/08, 12:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, I look at it like this. We have been down on cubes since the 80's with the 350 IROCS and Formulas and have taken them on without a sweat. Don't see that changing now though we did get our butts kicked in the mid 90's until the F bodies death. However, we're going to end up modding these cars anyway, which is why I don't complain about being down in cubes or power. I love being the under dog and take total thrill in jumping on an SS Camaro OR a GTO. H***, I'll even take on a Vette win or lose. We both get a smile out of it. Guess my point is the horsepower war starts at the factory but heats up on the street. I don't have big aftermarket money but in due time, I'm sure gonna bring it.

And if you 2011 5.0 boys want some, you can get some TOO!!! That is until I get my 2011. Ha Ha Ha!
Old 11/5/08, 08:43 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by shwaco1967
H***, I'll even take on a Vette win or lose.
Did you seriously just censor the word Hell? LOL
Old 11/5/08, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

A 400hp 5.0L should be enough to make everybody happy. Heck, 350hp should be enough to stay with or beat a 422hp Camaro SS.

I've been screaming for years for Ford to make a 350-400hp Mach1! But, why bother, when we are going to have a Mustang GT near or at 400hp?
Old 11/5/08, 09:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should have had the 5.0 ready for 2010. I wonder how many that would have bought a 5.0 GT will not wait and buy a Camaro or Challenger?
Old 11/5/08, 12:52 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
They should have had the 5.0 ready for 2010. I wonder how many that would have bought a 5.0 GT will not wait and buy a Camaro or Challenger?
Would you rather have them rush the engine, or wait and get it right?
Remember the 5.0 wasn't around when the decision for the 2010 was in design mode, and other engines were going to be used.
Old 11/5/08, 01:37 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KGray571
Did you seriously just censor the word Hell? LOL
He did, he really really did.
Old 11/5/08, 05:36 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by max2000jp
Or you can see it as a huge advantage. The Camaro benefits from Corvette technology and racing technology directly trickled down from the C6R. The Mustang really doesn't have that relationship. I guess the FR500C technology trickled down, but that series isn't as advanced.
I think the FIA has made a rule change where the FR500GT3 can compete in GT2 this year at LeMans? Although I think the vette is moving on into GT1
Old 11/5/08, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Corvette is moving from GT1 to GT2 next year (after LeMans). There's been no opposition in ALMS GT1, and GM won't let them compete against themselves anymore. So they're moving down to compete with 911's and M3s.
Old 11/7/08, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
He did, he really really did.
Well I gotta watch out for you mod dudes.. Heh heh heh,,
Old 11/7/08, 09:06 AM

I feel compeled to put me .02 worth in. For starter, I am a long time lurker and a life long Chevy guy. I am 45 years old, my first car was a 69 SS/RS Camaro that is still in the family. I restore Chevy Muscle and currently own a 66 Chevelle SS. That being said, I don't think Mustang has anything to worry about when it comes to the new Camaro. To me, the Camaro has had an identity issue since the late 70's, early 80's. Power train, especially with the LS series motors has been great. But, time has shown that HP did not make the Camaro successful. I am so impressed with the 05-09 mustang. The only gripe was the quality of the interior finish which sounds like will be corrected with the new model. To me, the Mustang projects a sophisticated image that can appeal to all. Not to say some guys/gals can redneck anything. Poor old camaro seems like it appeals to Burt Reynolds wannabees. An earlier post was right on, the Corvette will alls make the Camaro be a car buyers settle for instead of the vette. I intend on purchasing a new 2010 GT next year. I am sure there will be a frenzy on the new Camaro, but in time, I feel it will follow the same path as the old model. I can't put my finger on it, maybe nostalgia, heritage, american icon or something else, but the mustang has stood the test of time and it hasn't been by narrowly focused designs, it appeals to the masses and has something for everyone. Sorry for the length, I hope I didn't ramble too much.
Old 11/7/08, 11:06 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jac70ss
I feel compeled to put me .02 worth in. ...I can't put my finger on it, maybe nostalgia, heritage, american icon or something else, but the mustang has stood the test of time and it hasn't been by narrowly focused designs, it appeals to the masses and has something for everyone. Sorry for the length, I hope I didn't ramble too much.
Excellent post - thanks. I'm also a old guy (43) who has a long history with the Camaro/Firebird. My 1st car in High School was a '75 Camaro. I spent a ton of time and $$ fixing it up. I owned it from '79 until I sold it in '85. I should never have sold that car - it was one of the worst decisions I've ever made.

After a few years without a sports car, I finally bought a brand new '88 Formula Firebird. I kept that car for 11 years and put over 110,000 miles on it. This time, I didn't regret selling it - because I replaced it with a '96 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo. OMG - I REALLY loved that car!! I would have kept it forever - except that it only seats two. So when we added kids to our family, I was forced to sell. ...for the next few years, I drove a Honda Accord. ...and hated it.

FINALLY, the wife and I agreed that I could get a new car. Her only conditions were that (1) we had to be able afford it (darn, no Ferrari for me), and (2) it had to fit the kids in the back. After a bit of research, I decided on a new Mustang. It had the best price/performance ratio - and I loved the look of the new model. The first thing I did when we drove to the dealer was to cram the car seat and kids in the back. Look Honey - they fit!! ...SOLD!!

So, this was my very first Ford - and I LOVE IT!! The Mustang is just awesome - and solid as a rock. When I got my brand new Firebird, I spent the first week chasing down rattles. When I got my new Mustang, I spent the first week trying to wipe the constant smile from my face. I was SO HAPPY with my purchase...and over one year later - I'm still thrilled every time I start 'er up!
Old 11/7/08, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not to worry guys, Only the hardcore Camaro guys will pay the outrageous prices the dealers will be asking for the performance version. By the time they start to sell them even close to msrp, the 2011 5.0 will be available and out on the streets. GM loses again in my opinion by marking up what they think they have cornered the market on at the dealers. If they were smart they would use the 2010 year 4.6 Mustang as a launching point and flood the streets with the hot new 400 hp Camaro by selling as many of them as they can at msrp. But they won't do that so 2010 will be non event for them I believe. You already see R/T and SR/T Challangers sitting on the dealers lots because they won't deal with the consumer.
I can't wait for 2011!!
Old 11/7/08, 09:07 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Indystang
Not to worry guys, Only the hardcore Camaro guys will pay the outrageous prices the dealers will be asking for the performance version. By the time they start to sell them even close to msrp, the 2011 5.0 will be available and out on the streets. GM loses again in my opinion by marking up what they think they have cornered the market on at the dealers. If they were smart they would use the 2010 year 4.6 Mustang as a launching point and flood the streets with the hot new 400 hp Camaro by selling as many of them as they can at msrp. But they won't do that so 2010 will be non event for them I believe. You already see R/T and SR/T Challangers sitting on the dealers lots because they won't deal with the consumer.
I can't wait for 2011!!
Wait a couple of months till GM declares bankruptcy, then you'll be able to pick up a Camaro at fire sale prices.
Old 11/8/08, 02:34 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Wait a couple of months till GM declares bankruptcy, then you'll be able to pick up a Camaro at fire sale prices.
I hope that GM does declare bankruptcy, and perhaps then. They'll learn to put their customers first, by building quality products at an affordable price!
Old 11/8/08, 09:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I hope that GM does declare bankruptcy, and perhaps then. They'll learn to put their customers first, by building quality products at an affordable price!
Ouch, I have to disagree with you. Though most of us here are hard core Ford guys, GM is just as if not more important to America. It's history is just about as long and millions of American jobs could be lost from such a thing happening.

Also I think it's a bogus statement that GM doesn't put customers first or build quality products at an affordable price. GM's recent problems have more to do with the dwindling economy and the shocking crash of the entire auto market!

Cars like the Corvette, Cobalt SS, G8 and CTS-V are world beaters plain and simple. Not only do they destroy all competition they do it at half the price. I love the Mustang and for the most part Ford SUVs but GM's Cadillac division owns Lincoln and for the most part GM's lineups tend to have more options and obviously sportier models (where are you SVT).

Keep in mind that a Z06 at half the price of a Ford GT is it's equal on the race track. The 556HP CTS-V Cadillac will own the GT500 in a straight line and in a road course... All the cars I have mentioned are some of the cheapest in there class. Concerning AMDs Ford is just a guilty as GM. I know first hand because Ford's greedy dealers flat out did not allow me to buy a GT500... I doubt we will see $25,000 ADMs on the new Camaro like we saw with the GT500. Hell back in the summer of 06' It would have been cheaper for me to buy a Z06 than a Shelby!

Sorry to go off here Rocky, but that kinda struck a nerve. ( I have several family and friends working for GM)
Old 11/8/08, 03:46 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Ouch, I have to disagree with you. Though most of us here are hard core Ford guys, GM is just as if not more important to America. It's history is just about as long and millions of American jobs could be lost from such a thing happening.

Also I think it's a bogus statement that GM doesn't put customers first or build quality products at an affordable price. GM's recent problems have more to do with the dwindling economy and the shocking crash of the entire auto market!

Cars like the Corvette, Cobalt SS, G8 and CTS-V are world beaters plain and simple. Not only do they destroy all competition they do it at half the price. I love the Mustang and for the most part Ford SUVs but GM's Cadillac division owns Lincoln and for the most part GM's lineups tend to have more options and obviously sportier models (where are you SVT).

Keep in mind that a Z06 at half the price of a Ford GT is it's equal on the race track. The 556HP CTS-V Cadillac will own the GT500 in a straight line and in a road course... All the cars I have mentioned are some of the cheapest in there class. Concerning AMDs Ford is just a guilty as GM. I know first hand because Ford's greedy dealers flat out did not allow me to buy a GT500... I doubt we will see $25,000 ADMs on the new Camaro like we saw with the GT500. Hell back in the summer of 06' It would have been cheaper for me to buy a Z06 than a Shelby!

Sorry to go off here Rocky, but that kinda struck a nerve. ( I have several family and friends working for GM)
I understand where your coming from Phil, however when I made the statement about GM declaring bankruptcy. I wasn't referring to GM going out of business, what I meant was. That perhaps GM would far benefit from starting over, by bringing in all new management that are better capable of running GM in today's global economy.

As for Cars like the Corvette, Cobalt SS, G8 and CTS-V are concerned. Of course they're all very nice cars, but now that Camaro is back. GM is not only competing with Ford and Chrysler, but is also competing within itself as well. In other words, all of GM's performance cars, seem to be competing against one another. Such as Camaro vs. Corvette, G8 vs. CTS-V, Cobalt SS vs. G6, and Pontiac Solstice vs. Saturn Sky.

As a matter of fact, part of the reason for the demise of the F-body Camaro and Firebird, was due to the fact, they were competing against both Ford, and themselves.

On the other hand, being that Mustang is Ford's only performance car. This is a huge reason as to why Mustang has endured for well over 40+ years. And for those who want more performance, they can select from either the base GT, Bullitt, Shelby GT, GT500, or GT500KR models.

IMO this is a very smart move on Ford's part indeed, in which there hasn't been any competition within itself, whatsoever.

In the meantime, my apologies for sending the wrong signals. For that wasn't my intention.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/8/08 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Responses