Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

More First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/10, 05:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More First Impressions

Picked up my GT from Jeff Saturday, then had a long drive home. Fantastic car. Visibility is better than I was expecting. Overall I'm loving it. Will post more later (including more pics).

A couple of trivial issues:

Auto-dimming mirror. I'm not sure mine even works. Far as I can tell, it's not dimming at all. That or it's only dimming a very minor amount. Would rather have a manual flip style.

At night, the "halos" reflect off the windshield, which is a little annoying.
Old 6/27/10, 06:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

I believe you can turn the halos off or to a color that doesn't reflect as much
Old 6/27/10, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

They say red is good for night vision! Congratulations on getting your car!
Old 6/27/10, 08:08 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the auto dimming mirror, the one in my Lightning has a switch on it so you might check to make sure yours is actually turned on if it has one.
Old 6/27/10, 02:07 PM
Cobra R Member

I hate the halos. I leave them off.
Old 6/27/10, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancel
They say red is good for night vision! Congratulations on getting your car!
Exactly...I have my halos as red. Ice blue for the gauges and red for the halos. It looks sweet. My only complaint is that I wish the brightness offset for the EP screen was larger. The EP is a bit bright and I want to dim it more at night, but I can't go any lower.
Old 6/29/10, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Some more thoughts.

The dimming mirror is working, it just doesn't dim as much as I would like. I had a 97 Cadillac Seville STS with an auto-dimming mirror, and I think the Cadillac version did a much better job of dimming to the desired level. But that's pretty subjective. Most of you probably wouldn't even notice since you have tinted windows.

Both my wife and I find it very easy to drive. We both got used to the shifting very quickly.

Skip shift has hit me a few times. It's a little annoying, because when it happens, 4th is too high a gear, though you can then just downshift to 3rd or 2nd. Of course, it doesn't happen during spirited driving.

I can see what others are saying about having to wind it up. It has power down low, from a 80's car driving perspective, but it doesn't really take off until you get over about 3.5K. Like a few others have said, you don't get to open it up much in town. It's sort of like...."3...2...1...HERE WE...doh, hit the speed limit already".

It takes courage to floor it at any speed. It seems downright scary to me right now, though I'm sure I'll get acclamated (sp?) to it.

Don't fear the stone interior. It looks nice.
Old 6/29/10, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Skotty
It seems downright scary to me right now

so just about perfect?
Old 6/29/10, 12:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oddly, skip shift has not even once bugged me. I'm really not sure why. I must either be too slow or too fast when I decide to shift.
Old 6/29/10, 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
Oddly, skip shift has not even once bugged me. I'm really not sure why. I must either be too slow or too fast when I decide to shift.
I actually get skip shifted quite a lot. I don't really like how the 4th gear tends to lug when it engages after 1st, especially when hitting it uphill. I have to downshift to 3rd to get the propper power. I will probably disable this as I got a manual so I could have control, and shouldn't have to worry about techniques to avoid it.
Old 6/29/10, 12:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by db2797
Exactly...I have my halos as red. Ice blue for the gauges and red for the halos. It looks sweet. My only complaint is that I wish the brightness offset for the EP screen was larger. The EP is a bit bright and I want to dim it more at night, but I can't go any lower.
Do you have the day/night setting set to AUTO so that the colors reverse on the screen at night? When I got mine it was set to manual and it was REALLY bright at night... like watching a TV screen in a dark room. Not what I wanted inside the car. And then I found the setting (believe it's under the nav settings.)

Originally Posted by Adam2004
I hate the halos. I leave them off.
Go with red.
Old 6/29/10, 01:50 PM
GT Member

I agree about the auto dimming, it does not react fast enough and is not dark enough. especially when cars are in the outside lanes and not right behind you.
Old 6/29/10, 02:54 PM
GT Member

It funny to hear people say the auto dimming is not dark enough. Mine is really dark and way darker than I am used to. I wish I could make it a bit brighter.

I agree skip shift is just down right dumb. One time it almost got me rear ended!! I was pulling out onto a street in 1st and saw a car coming really fast right when I was starting to shift and I couldn't put it into 2nd! So I couldn't accelerate for ****! Now I am more prepared and know to slam it back into first if that happens again.

Congrats on the new ride BTW.
Old 6/29/10, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

I haven't had the skip shift occur either. Maybe if you stay in 1st longer it doesn't kick in?
Old 6/29/10, 02:59 PM
Cobra R Member

I agree about the auto-dimming (especially when my convertible top is down).

Also, WTF(udge) are "halos"? Sorry so clueless. Are U referring to instrument panel lighting? Or something else?
Old 6/29/10, 03:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Congrats on your new ride. Of course we need pics. I've had the chance to drive it about 300 miles or so back from the dealership. I found the skip shift thing annoying, it happened to me more than 10 times. At first i taught it was me missing second gear all the time but found out later it was the skip shift thing. Has anyone tried to bypass it yet ! I found the auto dimming to be OK.
Old 6/29/10, 03:59 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Also, WTF(udge) are "halos"? Sorry so clueless. Are U referring to instrument panel lighting? Or something else?
The colour you can change that borders the guages as opposed to the gauge colour themselves.
Old 6/29/10, 04:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
The colour you can change that borders the guages as opposed to the gauge colour themselves.
Well thanks for THAT bit o info! I only knew of changing the color of the instrument illumination itself, not that there was a "halo" too! (in fairness to my salesman, delivery was rushed due to approaching storm clouds; I told him to just let me go, and I'd ask questions later, LOL)
Old 6/29/10, 04:30 PM
Cobra R Member

As far as the skip-shift, I rarely ever encounter it because I love the mellifluous tone from the exhaust. Seems to only kick in when I shift below 2000 rpm in 1st, which I hardly ever do. Not really an annoyance now that I know what to do to avoid it.
Old 6/29/10, 04:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
It's COLOR...blasted Canucks.

Quick Reply: More First Impressions