2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Which Model to Get

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/15, 06:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Which Model to Get

My son is wanting to buy a GHIG 2014 2013 Mustang. We can find several base models. I am telling him to wait for a premium to show up.

What is the real Difference between the Base and the Premium?

Any one own the Base?

How do you like it?
Old 6/3/15, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a brand new 2013 Premium, and I think you should save your money and go with the base and learn from my mistake. Let me tell you why

Mustangs have a huge after market. The aftermarket parts are typically higher quality and sometimes cheaper than it's OEM counterpart. Additionally, there are many racing teams (Roush, Steeda) that buy Mustangs and strip them down. They list the parts on ebay as "take offs". You can get OEM premium leather seats, wheels, mirrors, louvers, etc. With the 2015s out you will start seeing used aftermarket parts as well.

The premium Mustang just doesn't feel premium. The "leather seats" only have a small section of real leather. After only a month of ownership my seats look like my grandma's backside (wrinkles). The upgraded stereo is a joke. The ambient lighting is cool but I've had to replace my pony projection lights 3 times. I had to replace all my light bulbs with LEDs because the other ones were useless. The Bluetooth audio is nice when it wants to work, but the technology is really old.

With a little effort you can save money and get exactly what you want. The main thing I would focus on is the gear ratio and color. Everything else is easy to change

Last edited by Rando; 6/3/15 at 07:02 AM.
Old 6/3/15, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would get the premium hands down.

Better carpeting. better interior trim. better fabrics. you get a 4" display with a whole bunch of cool things to play with. base model isn't equipped with the shaker "500" stereo. That alone is worth it if you want some descent sound and don't want to go aftermarket.

My test car was a 2014 v6 base automatic. I almost didn't buy the Mustang based on that test drive. Felt cheap inside and felt slow.

I'm glad that my car is a completely different beast from what I test drove.

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 6/3/15 at 06:59 AM.
Old 6/3/15, 07:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rando
I bought a brand new 2013 Premium, and I think you should save your money and go with the base and learn from my mistake. Let me tell you why

Mustangs have a huge after market. The aftermarket parts are typically higher quality and sometimes cheaper than it's OEM counterpart. Additionally, there are many racing teams (Roush, Steeda) that buy Mustangs and strip them down. They list the parts on ebay as "take offs". You can get OEM premium leather seats, wheels, mirrors, louvers, etc. With the 2015s out you will start seeing used aftermarket parts as well.

The premium Mustang just doesn't feel premium. The "leather seats" only have a small section of real leather. After only a month of ownership my seats look like my grandma's backside (wrinkles). The upgraded stereo is a joke. The ambient lighting is cool but I've had to replace my pony projection lights 3 times. I had to replace all my light bulbs with LEDs because the other ones were useless. The Bluetooth audio is nice when it wants to work, but the technology is really old.

With a little effort you can save money and get exactly what you want. The main thing I would focus on is the gear ratio and color. Everything else is easy to change

I heard that the leather seats material wasn't the greatest. I ordered the PP with my mustang which is a Premium fabric over the leather.

I encourage you to find anyone that has a base Mustang and listen to their stereo that doesn't have the shaker system. Trust me, you'll be thankful that you have Shaker. Non Shaker stereo offers mids and Highs. zero bass, at all.
Old 6/3/15, 07:13 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,150 Likes on 824 Posts
Drive both and compare. Love my premium and I agree with JoeMidnight. If you can find a 401A premium car. Changes the dash to a metal mesh, accent stripes the seats, different door trim with chrome ponys, and many more little upgrades. This may only be a GT thing, but there is a comparable option for the v6. Glasstop is also a very nice option.
Old 6/3/15, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I heard that the leather seats material wasn't the greatest. I ordered the PP with my mustang which is a Premium fabric over the leather.

I encourage you to find anyone that has a base Mustang and listen to their stereo that doesn't have the shaker system. Trust me, you'll be thankful that you have Shaker. Non Shaker stereo offers mids and Highs. zero bass, at all.
If I had a base I would buy a Kenwood system that supported Android Auto and also just replace the door speakers and run a small sub in the trunk. I could get away with that for ~$1,000 which is about $500 more than the Shaker upgrade if I recall. But you can get sound systems for much cheaper - Android Auto is a hot new thing.
Old 6/3/15, 07:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rando
If I had a base I would buy a Kenwood system that supported Android Auto and also just replace the door speakers and run a small sub in the trunk. I could get away with that for ~$1,000 which is about $500 more than the Shaker upgrade if I recall. But you can get sound systems for much cheaper - Android Auto is a hot new thing.

Believe me.... I've been there, done that. Not worth it in the end.

I have a 12" Eclipse subwoofer in an enclosed box sitting in my basement along with a 1200 watt 2 channel AMP used to power that beast. from burning out 1 farad capacitors to killing car batteries, just too much hassle.

with my previous setups, I still had to crack the backseats forward a bit to allow air flow into the trunk / cabin of the car. otherwise, the sub can't move any air and it just won't thump hard enough to feel it.

I welcome a mildly sounding shaker stereo that is hassle free from all of the pains and headaches.

To get back on track, I'd do what Steve said, try to find a Premium and compare apples to apples.
Old 6/3/15, 07:41 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Here's a 2014 brochure. I believe that the 2013 specs are the same. Scroll to page 20.

http://www.ford.com/services/assets/...stalCode=55401

In addition the GT Premium adds the shock tower brace. I didn't see it listed. I'm pretty sure that the base GT doesn't have that.
Old 6/3/15, 07:54 AM
Cobra Member

He has found a Base V 6 with Tech package and performance Appearance and auto or a Premium V6 Auto 201A appearance pack Rear camera 3.31 Limited slip and Hood Stripe.

The premium has7500 miles and the base ha10500 Miles.

for some of the reasons mentioned he is having a hard time deciding. I told him to go Premium for things like better carpet, insulation, Instrument cluster and seats and lighting.

Base looks cooler for him with performance appearance pack. Decisions!!
Old 6/3/15, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

if they are both auto's, I'd still go for the premium model. 3.31 gears will make a huge difference over 2.73

not to mention that the premium has 3k miles less of abuse lol!

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 6/3/15 at 08:12 AM.
Old 6/3/15, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tough call. I went with the cheaper GT base model knowing it was going to be performance modified. Had my plans been non-performance/appearance mods, then I would have purchased the premium model. It came down to budget vs desired results.
Old 6/3/15, 08:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a base 2014 GT with one option, the automatic transmission.
The two options I wish I had opted for are Recaro seats and Brembo brake package. Other than that, it's all fluff, not necessary, but nice fluff. With the used car prices dropping, I would probably buy the premium now because it might only be a couple thousand more than the base car.
Old 6/3/15, 01:10 PM
Cobra Member

All the things that you all have listed are very valid points.

So I asked my Son what mods are you wanting to do?

If you got the Base what would you want to add.

He tells me the Instrument cluster of the premium and the ambient lighting are the 2 things he would add if he got the base.

I will have to tell him about the gears though. I did not realize that the base has 2.73. Great for mileage but not so good for performance.

Anything else that is really missing on the base? I keep telling him the premium will be less of a hassle to mod especially if you want to do the cluster.
Old 6/3/15, 01:20 PM
GT Member

If you plan to modify it much - Get the Base

If you just plan to drive it and nothing else - Get the Premium

However, as time goes by, those car will start to have more and more mileage on them. We know just how nice mustang drivers drive dont we?
Old 6/3/15, 01:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
All the things that you all have listed are very valid points.

So I asked my Son what mods are you wanting to do?

If you got the Base what would you want to add.

He tells me the Instrument cluster of the premium and the ambient lighting are the 2 things he would add if he got the base.

I will have to tell him about the gears though. I did not realize that the base has 2.73. Great for mileage but not so good for performance.

Anything else that is really missing on the base? I keep telling him the premium will be less of a hassle to mod especially if you want to do the cluster.

yeah, you both just kind of answered your own question. If he knows he wants the cluster interface that the premium model has to offer. Just get the premium version and not bother with messing around by ripping that part of the car out to upgrade.

I have the PP on my V6 with the 3.31 gears and I still average 25MPG combined city and highway if I'm not throttle happy. and average 23MPG combined while beating on that poor car. There are far more pro's than cons to the 3.31 gears
Old 6/3/15, 01:41 PM
GT Member

I had this same debate with myself a year ago. Back then the final negotiated price between a base '14 GT and premium was roughly $2,400. What it really boiled down to for me was that I was tired of dicking around with stereo upgrades and wanted OEM bluetooth since I often make calls in the car. Add to that the $400 for leather takeoffs, upgrading the gauge cluster for the track apps, ambient lighting (which I like more than I thought I would), various brushed alum trim pieces... and not sure how much I'd be saving in the long run. That and my experience with removing and reinstalling interior trim introduces rattles sooner than otherwise. Plus I wanted the stone leather interior and those are the unicorn of takeoffs.
Old 6/3/15, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

that brings another point to the table. I don't know about you guys in the US. But a new bill just passed in Ontario yesterday (I saw it on the news) If you are caught, playing, texting, emailing, talking and basically doing just about anything else with your phone, you are facing up to a $1,000 dollar fine and 3 demerit points. Bluetooth should be mandatory in all vehicles of all types. if these are the types of mandates we are being forced with, Bluetooth should not be "optional"
Old 6/3/15, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I have a base with 2 options:
1) Track Pack
2) Recaro Seats

I decided not to pay anything extra for SYNC or leather. The only thing from a Premium I wish I had is the cluster. But that's it.

My car is lighter than a premium and therefore just a little faster. And that's what I was after. Go car. Not show car.

His decision should be based on what he intends to use the car for. Period.
Old 6/3/15, 10:47 PM
Cobra Member

I am so glad I started this Thread. As a Father you can tell your kids everything. But I am not to sure they believe us. I am having him read all of these suggestions, Pro's and Con's on this decision. I am glad you all brought out all of these points as I am sure it will help Him.
Old 6/3/15, 11:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
In the base the seats, the seat controls, door panels, door handles, door inserts, dash inserts, console, audio system, multimedia, gauges are all a joke. Seriously, i would be embarrassed, they at least changed the steering wheel to the mimic the premium model by adding the aluminum spokes.

Quick Reply: Which Model to Get