2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

WHICH Michelins?

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/16, 08:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
WHICH Michelins?

Instead of lowering her, I'm just going to get the best tire y'all have recommended here, the MICHELIN PILOT SPORT.

I love the sound of the GT500 axel backs and detest TIRE NOISE !

The question is, which specific tire?

Pilot Sport A/S 3 all season tire P245/45ZR19 98W

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (W- or Y-Speed Rated)

Pilot Sport 3 245/45R19 102Y XL
Pilot Primacy 245/45ZR19

This car has the factory 19" aluminum/black wheel option (see photo) which goes nicely with this car.

Ideally, I would like to stay with the factory tire size. I don't want to deal with speedo issues.

I want to do front/rear the same size for tire rotation purposes.

I am going with the recommendations of this forum which is "If you can stand the price, get the Michelin, they are well worth it"

So instead of doing any suspension mods (I am happy with her stance with the factory 19" tires/wheels) I choose to simply go with the best tires available.

My three big tire issues are NOISE, RIDE & WET TRACTION.

At this moment, I am unsure as to which of these Pilots would best fit my needs.

The car is a daily driver in SW Florida. (I don't know what a PP car is....) Wife & I also do road trips with this car, so comfort & road noise are big issues. I don't do track days or dragstrips, and am not really into burnouts and doughnuts, although I did have fun back in the day with my '69 Mustang. Compared to that, this car is sophisticated and TIGHT-TIGHT-TIGHT. The factory 19's do make a significant and very noticeable difference. I do love pushing her into a turn and feeling the rear end slide ever so slightly under power.

Since the Michelin Pilot Super Sport version is not available in my size, instead of choosing a less appropriate PILOT model, perhaps I should go with the Continental, which is also ranked high on this forum, but not as high as the Pilot Super Sports.

I do respect and appreciate your opinions.

RWSRWS
Attached Thumbnails WHICH Michelins?-img_0322.jpg   WHICH Michelins?-img_2334.jpg   WHICH Michelins?-img_2589.jpg  
Old 3/14/16, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Super+Sport
Old 3/14/16, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

=============================

THANK YOU

yup-that's the tire !

Sadly, it is not available in a 245/45 R19

I do not want to change the tire size/aspect ratio.

RWSRWS
Old 3/14/16, 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I had these on my 2011 in the same size you are looking for and was very satisfied.

Continental ExtremeContact DW

Last edited by TheReaper; 3/15/16 at 09:09 AM.
Old 3/14/16, 02:16 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RWSRWS
=============================

THANK YOU

yup-that's the tire !

Sadly, it is not available in a 245/45 R19

I do not want to change the tire size/aspect ratio.

RWSRWS
I have been looking into these tires also for my 2014 GT/CS. I've found that they are available in 255 instead of our stock 245 size and I don't think that's much of a change. If I'm correct that is slightly over a 1/2 inch which i don't think will matter. Does anyone disagree with that?
Old 3/14/16, 04:08 PM
V6 Member

here's the difference:

(see pix)

I can accept the speedo difference, but cannot accept the appearance of a smaller tire in that wheel opening given that the car will not be lowered.

I have chosen to stay with the factory size front & rear.

Now leaning toward the Continental Extreme Contact DW recommended above by REAPER.

RWSRWS
Attached Thumbnails WHICH Michelins?-tire_size_visual_031416.jpg   WHICH Michelins?-tire_size_data_031416.jpg  
Old 3/14/16, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by gjcavana
I have been looking into these tires also for my 2014 GT/CS. I've found that they are available in 255 instead of our stock 245 size and I don't think that's much of a change. If I'm correct that is slightly over a 1/2 inch which i don't think will matter. Does anyone disagree with that?
Are you going 255/40-19? If so that's the size that the V6 PP cars and GT Track Pack cars come with. Can't go wrong with that...unless you already have 4.10a or 3.73s and think your current gearing is short.
Old 3/14/16, 07:27 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Are you going 255/40-19? If so that's the size that the V6 PP cars and GT Track Pack cars come with. Can't go wrong with that...unless you already have 4.10a or 3.73s and think your current gearing is short.
======================

the 255/40 is 3/4" shorter than the factory spec tire.

I don't think I can bear the look of that smaller tire in the wheel well of my not to be lowered car.

Guess I'm too **** about it....

Anyway the Pilot Super Sport is out as it is not available in my size.

There are however several other Pilots (listed above) that DO come in my size, however no one has commented on them.

Looking more and more like I'll be heading toward a set of the Continental DW tires. Not a bad choice, however I was really hoping to find one of those Michelin Pilots as the solution for this choice.

RWSRWS
Old 3/15/16, 06:54 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for that info! Now I feel better about getting the Pilot SS without fitment issues.
Old 3/15/16, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

...unless you already have 4.10a or 3.73s and think your current gearing is short.
I have the high gears, 3.36 I think, so this should be no problem.
Old 3/15/16, 08:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
======================
Looking more and more like I'll be heading toward a set of the Continental DW tires. Not a bad choice, however I was really hoping to find one of those Michelin Pilots as the solution for this choice.

RWSRWS
I just wore out a set of ExtremeContact DWS's, which I loved, and switched to the DW's, which I love so far. It's hard to beat Continental, especially for the significant price difference between them and Michelin.
Old 3/15/16, 08:54 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I just wore out a set of ExtremeContact DWS's, which I loved, and switched to the DW's, which I love so far. It's hard to beat Continental, especially for the significant price difference between them and Michelin.
Thank you.

How are the DW's for road noise as they wear out?

RWSRWS
Old 3/15/16, 09:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Thank you.

How are the DW's for road noise as they wear out?

RWSRWS
No idea, as I only have about 500 miles on mine. The DWS's were never loud though, though I had to get rid of them with only 25K or so on them, due to one getting a sidewall puncture.
Old 3/16/16, 12:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
You live in Florida, why on Earth do you need all seasons? All seasons = no seasons.
Old 3/16/16, 01:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
No idea, as I only have about 500 miles on mine. The DWS's were never loud though, though I had to get rid of them with only 25K or so on them, due to one getting a sidewall puncture.
The DWS have always been super quiet. The DWs not as much, as they age.

OP, you could also consider the Pilot A/S 3s.

Though I do agree, in Florida, I don't see why you're looking at all seasons. All seasons are such a misnomer. They're a cheap way for the tire manufacturers to say their tires are rated for light snow (even though they're almost unusable in snow) and better at rain traction. On the other side of the coin, "summer tires" are typically geared towards dry and wet traction. So summer tires are really more "all season" than all season. Other than that, if you have snow (which you don't), you should have a dedicated set of snows.

Old 3/16/16, 01:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38

Though I do agree, in Florida, I don't see why you're looking at all seasons. All seasons are such a misnomer. They're a cheap way for the tire manufacturers to say their tires are rated for light snow (even though they're almost unusable in snow) and better at rain traction. On the other side of the coin, "summer tires" are typically geared towards dry and wet traction. So summer tires are really more "all season" than all season. Other than that, if you have snow (which you don't), you should have a dedicated set of snows.

lol those last two were purely for trolling purposes
Old 3/16/16, 01:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
The DWS have always been super quiet. The DWs not as much, as they age.

OP, you could also consider the Pilot A/S 3s.

I agree with the statement above, particularly in the case of someone who lives in America's **** (aka FL)...but for the rest of us, All-Season tires aren't to be overlooked as the compound is formulated so that it will actually have some grip when it's below freezing.

Hell, my stock summer-only Pirellis would spin and spin and spin at anything below 50*F! They were useless for cold weather. Fortunately, my Mustang seldom gets driven in cold weather (so I continue to use Summer-only tires) but my daily drivers get all-seasons.

Just my .02.
Old 3/16/16, 02:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Yeah that is true, but even over here in Northern California, the stock tires did the same to me. That said, my current Coopers have much better "cold" traction and they are absolutely amazing in the rain.
Old 3/16/16, 03:34 PM
V6 Member

I am SORRY !

I meant to say Continental DW's = the DW series (in plural)

I did not mean to imply the Continental DWS series all season tire.

Too bad I can't get the Pilot Super Sports in my size, and I really do not want to put a 3/4" smaller tire in that wheel well on a car that will not be lowered.

RWSRWS
Old 3/16/16, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
. . .
Too bad I can't get the Pilot Super Sports in my size, and I really do not want to put a 3/4" smaller tire in that wheel well on a car that will not be lowered.

RWSRWS
Isn't there a size available in PSS that comes out just a little larger diameter than stock? I'd probably go with those.

Quick Reply: WHICH Michelins?