2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MGW Shifter

Old 6/8/12, 03:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MGW Shifter

OK, have read all the good aspects of the MGW shifter....are there any cons? Anybody who doesn't like it? I am thinking of adding that next...have not had any problems with my stock shifter but everyone talks like this takes it to a whole new level...

Last edited by JCStang; 6/8/12 at 03:43 PM.
Old 6/8/12, 03:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
OK, have read all the good aspects of the MGW shifter....are there any cons? Anybody who doesn't like it? I am thinking of adding that next...have not had any problems with my stock shifter but every talks like this takes it to a whole new level...
Because its the truth! . Not sure how the v6 shifter differs from 8. Maybe it's same? If so, you're in for a treat.
Old 6/8/12, 05:42 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the MGW shifter for the V8 and did not like it that much. It added to much noise even with double insulation. The shifts are pretty stiff and also noisy. I didn't enjoy it very much and got rid of it.
Old 6/8/12, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by romendo
I had the MGW shifter for the V8 and did not like it that much. It added to much noise even with double insulation. The shifts are pretty stiff and also noisy. I didn't enjoy it very much and got rid of it.
Shame on you Mr. Steeda lol
Old 6/8/12, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

im gonna order one here in a few weeks, so far i like what i read and saw, maybe in a short run stock one will be just as good, but in a long run MGW will outlast the stock one by 50 times
Old 6/8/12, 07:37 PM
I Have No Life

Wow you sir are an anomaly. I find it hard to believe you installed it then removed it? ....... Because you weren't happy with it? You are honestly the first I heard. You sure your username ain't steeda or barton? LOL
Old 6/9/12, 06:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Wow you sir are an anomaly. I find it hard to believe you installed it then removed it? ....... Because you weren't happy with it? You are honestly the first I heard. You sure your username ain't steeda or barton? LOL
I guess people just don't like it when they don't hear what they want to hear. You can call me whatever you want but it doesn't change my opinion. For the amount of money and all the talk about this shifter I was disappointed.

Instead of accepting my opinion as just that - an opinion - two guys bother to come out and call me Mr Steeda. This just shows that this forum, just like so many other forums, is only for true believers. And that's the reason I don't post much even though I have been online since 1992.

I bought the shifter mostly for improving the shifts, especially from 1-2. The shifts were improved but they were also very noisy. The added noise from the drivetrain did not help much either.

I thought I would point out the negatives because everybody always talks about the positive aspects of this shifter. Obviously, that's not being appreciated.
Old 6/9/12, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

i find it hard to believe that it was so loud for you that it forced you to remove it. unless you are one of those super picky people?
Old 6/9/12, 01:11 PM
Banned

I guess people just don't like it when they don't hear what they want to hear. You can call me whatever you want but it doesn't change my opinion. For the amount of money and all the talk about this shifter I was disappointed.

Instead of accepting my opinion as just that - an opinion - two guys bother to come out and call me Mr Steeda. This just shows that this forum, just like so many other forums, is only for true believers. And that's the reason I don't post much even though I have been online since 1992.

I bought the shifter mostly for improving the shifts, especially from 1-2. The shifts were improved but they were also very noisy. The added noise from the drivetrain did not help much either.

I thought I would point out the negatives because everybody always talks about the positive aspects of this shifter. Obviously, that's not being appreciated.
I was joking, but Christ, you said noisy twice.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 6/9/12 at 01:12 PM.
Old 6/9/12, 02:06 PM
GT Member

I installed mine last week. Since then it is much harder to get into first gear. I also hear more tranny noise. I'm going to take apart the console and make sure the shifter boot hasn't come undone. I'm most concerned about shifting into first. Sometimes it is very smooth but most of the time it is very hard to engage.

Last edited by RaceRed12; 6/11/12 at 05:54 AM.
Old 6/9/12, 02:16 PM
Post *****

What was your previous (and current) vehicle? Just curious...
Old 6/9/12, 05:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only downside about the MGW shifter for me was the install. It was a PITA doing it on ramps. If you plan on upgrading your driveshaft, now would be the time The pain was worth it in the end though.

Oh and I do agree with the fact that it added a little more noise when starting the car, although I don't notice it anymore. No one else that's ridden in the car has noticed it either, must not be THAT bad
Old 6/9/12, 06:02 PM
GT Member

Last edited by RaceRed12; 6/9/12 at 06:03 PM.
Old 6/9/12, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RaceRed12
It's the same vehicle, 2012 GT. With the original shifter I never had a problem with the shifter going into first or a problem with noise.
Maybe an incorrect install??
Old 6/10/12, 06:14 AM
I Have No Life

Lol. He thinks that because we give an opinion of HIS opinion, that, that in itself is also not allowed. Lol. Kettle meet pot?

Am just saying, you are in the EXTREME minority for someone not happy with their mgw...let alone someone SO unhappy that you went through the pains to actually REMOVE the unit itself. I dare to invite those individuals (if they do exist) who share this same "opinion" as you do, to come forth and share their story. To you, the cons (sound, mostly?) outweigh the pros (much improved shift feel, vagueness elimination, true muscle car shifting feel, etc)???

THAT I find very hard to believe. Did you try calling George at mgw to perhaps do some troubleshooting or perhaps you received a bad unit (low chance) from them? I'm assuming not. So again, I'll state it. Either you are fabricating this story, or you fubarred an install, or have a defective unit, or I finally met somebody more OCD than me. Lol. I truly disbelieve the latter.

Last edited by FromZto5; 6/10/12 at 06:20 AM.
Old 6/11/12, 05:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Maybe an incorrect install??
Knowing the installer...me...that is always a possibility. Hopefully I have time for a mini teardown this week. I'll report back on my findings. I should note that I still like the mgw better than the stock shifter.