Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MGW Install help (jackstands/ ramps)

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/14, 09:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGW Install help (jackstands/ ramps)

Well I farted around and got all my tools arranged on my work bench, went through all the mgw parts and watched the video about 5 times. My confidence was high and then I got the front of my mustang on some ramps. I quickly realized this car is a lot longer than my old integra and I really need to get it on some jack stands to make this install go smoothly. I was nose to axel and it was just too uncomfortable. I only have two jack stands and I tried to do some searching, but I am just not sure of the best way to jack up this car, and where to put them the . Please school me all you mgw/mustang veterans.

Any pictures of mustang jack/jacking points.

Ill also add that this is a 2014 Mustang GT and its my first mustang, so ive only been under the car to change out the axel backs and that was cake. I put the rear tires on the ramps too and again, not enough room to work.

Help will be much appreciated.
Old 6/21/14, 10:36 PM

I just jacked up the front end pretty high, and placed the jackstands on the seem welds, where you have arrows on the rocker panels.

I went under the car through the sides and had enough room to have my arms up in the transmission tunnel. Although, there were a few awkward wrench holding positions. Also, make sure you dont kick the jackstands! lol

Just a few install tips.
When you get ready to mount the bottom plate (gold plate), place masking tape on the bottom of the plate with the ends o the tape sticking out. Once you line up the bushings and place the bottom plate in place, you can tape the plate to the upper assembly, so that it stays in place while you install the nuts. Unless, you have an extra set of hands to help you during the install.

I also watched the video a couple of time and on the last time, I wrote up an instruction document. Just because I didn't want to stop and watch the video during the installation. If you want, I can send you my poorly written instructions :P
Old 6/21/14, 11:09 PM
V6 Member

Thanks F.D. Sako. Any thing you can share will be helpful. So when you jacked up the front where did you place the floor jack? I believe I saw the pinch welds behind the rocker panels, but wasn't sure where to put the floor jack to put the jack stands under those spots.
Old 6/21/14, 11:13 PM
V6 Member

is it safe to back the rears up on ramps and then place the jack stands on the front pinch welds behind the front tires? That may give me plenty of space to slide under from the back or front.
Old 6/22/14, 06:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I did mine on jack stands also. I set mine on the frame behind the front wheels.
Old 6/22/14, 08:19 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Op, I did mine on ramps and had enough room. If you must jack, what the folks said above should work. Place on the frame. Of course make sure you chock the rear tires to prevent accidental rolling.
Old 6/22/14, 09:41 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by silvagsr
Well I farted around and got all my tools arranged on my work bench, went through all the mgw parts and watched the video about 5 times. My confidence was high and then I got the front of my mustang on some ramps. I quickly realized this car is a lot longer than my old integra and I really need to get it on some jack stands to make this install go smoothly. I was nose to axel and it was just too uncomfortable. I only have two jack stands and I tried to do some searching, but I am just not sure of the best way to jack up this car, and where to put them the . Please school me all you mgw/mustang veterans.

Any pictures of mustang jack/jacking points.

Ill also add that this is a 2014 Mustang GT and its my first mustang, so ive only been under the car to change out the axel backs and that was cake. I put the rear tires on the ramps too and again, not enough room to work.

Help will be much appreciated.
here's a diagram of jack points…

https://themustangsource.com/attachm...jackpoints.jpg

Old 6/22/14, 12:32 PM

I placed the jack stands where the small green squares are, and the jack was placed a little towards the center of the car with a 2x8 on the jack.

Here are the instruction links. I converted them to jpg to post the links, but if you want the doc file, pm me your email and I'll send it over.
Page 1, page 2, and page 3

I do want to mention... instructions were not proof read :P and were written fast with keywords, so I'd remember what to do from the video lol

Last edited by F.D. Sako; 6/22/14 at 12:35 PM.
Old 6/22/14, 02:54 PM
V6 Member

Thank you everyone.. ill get some pics/impressions up when I get back into it. Its about 95 degrees with 3000% humidity here in North Florida now, so im gonna wait for some night fall.
Old 6/22/14, 02:56 PM
V6 Member

and I got the Austrian grand prix on the dvr to watch, so priorities...
Old 6/23/14, 07:43 AM
Cobra Member

Success?
Old 6/23/14, 03:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is it safe to back the rears up on ramps and then place the jack stands on the front pinch welds behind the front tires? That may give me plenty of space to slide under from the back or front.
I put the front up on ramps, chocks in the back and jack stands just for added safety. No issues reaching anything.
Thank you everyone.. ill get some pics/impressions up when I get back into it. Its about 95 degrees with 3000% humidity here in North Florida now, so im gonna wait for some night fall.
Lol, let us know how it went.
Old 6/25/14, 08:25 PM
V6 Member

Ace72ace. No success yet.... Intend to start/ finish this weekend....had to put it off do to work load....plus I just wanted to drive around with the oem shifter some more so i can feel the difference. Here is what my garage work bench is looking like... Just waiting for a little time. Notice the temp?
Attached Thumbnails MGW Install help (jackstands/ ramps)-image.jpg  
Old 6/26/14, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Ace72ace. No success yet.... Intend to start/ finish this weekend....had to put it off do to work load....plus I just wanted to drive around with the oem shifter some more so i can feel the difference. Here is what my garage work bench is looking like... Just waiting for a little time. Notice the temp?

Looks like an instrument table in an OR!

Question for the community: Is it acceptable to jack the front end up at the center of the cross member? If not, why not? it's always been a great place on other vehicles.

Thanks,
John
Old 6/26/14, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Whenever you do it, as my dad has always told me, double safety's. You can never have too many back up supports: such as ramps under the front tires even though it's lifted on stands. I usually leave the a small load on the jack itself too.

As far as best angle... yeah, front as high as possible!
Old 6/30/14, 10:58 PM
V6 Member

Well.. I am done... everything went together pretty well, with the exception of this plug that I found under the center console. Anyone have any ideas if this is some accessory option plug? All my other plugs found their homes, but this one just baffled me and I could not find any plugs for it. I used ramps in the front then jacked up the front enough to lift the suspension enough to put jack stands under. Seem to be enough room to get the job done, but Ill feel it in my neck tomorrow for sure.

Overall impressions after a quick test drive. Very solid, and direct. I need to drive it a little harder to see how the quick shifts feel, but I am very satisfied. Thanks for everyone's input.

Oh ya I also posted a pick of the new heat shield. No more bending the top of it down after installation.
Attached Thumbnails MGW Install help (jackstands/ ramps)-20140630_111332.jpg   MGW Install help (jackstands/ ramps)-20140630_223819.jpg   MGW Install help (jackstands/ ramps)-20140630_224039.jpg   MGW Install help (jackstands/ ramps)-20140630_203446.jpg   MGW Install help (jackstands/ ramps)-20140630_232721.jpg  

Old 7/1/14, 04:45 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Well.. I am done... everything went together pretty well, with the exception of this plug that I found under the center console. Anyone have any ideas if this is some accessory option plug? All my other plugs found their homes, but this one just baffled me and I could not find any plugs for it. I used ramps in the front then jacked up the front enough to lift the suspension enough to put jack stands under. Seem to be enough room to get the job done, but Ill feel it in my neck tomorrow for sure. Overall impressions after a quick test drive. Very solid, and direct. I need to drive it a little harder to see how the quick shifts feel, but I am very satisfied. Thanks for everyone's input. Oh ya I also posted a pick of the new heat shield. No more bending the top of it down after installation.
Congrats. Is that the oem boot? Welcome to the MGW family.
Old 7/1/14, 04:50 AM
V6 Member

Yes it's the oem
boot....