Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Lost Key

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/12, 12:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lost Key

Well, after months of searching I guess my second key is lost for good. At one point I talked to a dealer and they said it was around $280 to get a second replacement key made. However, can you get a key made that doesn't have the built in remote buttons? I just need a spare in case I ever lose my final key or if I lock myself out of the car with the keys in it. Does anyone know that if this can be made, what it costs? Thanks for your help....
Old 12/31/12, 12:06 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everyone needs to buy a 3rd key immediately after buying a new car these days. Because it takes 2 to program another. Dealer scam for not informing customers.

I buy blanks off ebay and take them to a locksmith who cuts them for $10.

If you get a plain one it will only unlock doors. Car won't run. But you can use as a wallet key to get inside and find your hidden spare. Leave the 3rd key safely at home.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/31/12 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12/31/12, 12:11 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
Well, after months of searching I guess my second key is lost for good. At one point I talked to a dealer and they said it was around $280 to get a second replacement key made. However, can you get a key made that doesn't have the built in remote buttons? I just need a spare in case I ever lose my final key or if I lock myself out of the car with the keys in it. Does anyone know that if this can be made, what it costs? Thanks for your help....
you can get a standard key made without the chip- it will open trunk/doors, but wont start...hardware stores sell copied chipkeys for like 75 bucks- they 'read' your key code and just clone it.

problem without having 2 unique keys is you cant program any more- a cloned key will look the same as using one key twice, wont allow reteaching the car...

I would get a hardware store standard key for just in case, and keep looking for that other key...some stores wont copy a chipped key- theyll give you a bunch of bs about the computer, etc, but smaller hardware stores will. I got some blanks off ebay(chipped) and am having one side cut for one car, other side for other car, then just teach the same key to both cars...hate keys...
Old 12/31/12, 12:47 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Everyone needs to buy a 3rd key immediately after buying a new car these days. Because it takes 2 to program another. Dealer scam for not informing customers.
Good to know

If you get a plain one it will only unlock doors. Car won't run. But you can use as a wallet key to get inside and find your hidden spare. Leave the 3rd key safely at home.
And I completely agree with this ^ You should always keep a spare(regardless of whether it's a chipped key or a non-chipped copy) in your wallet for good measure. They're super expensive and a $3 key is a lot cheaper than a tow and locksmith bill. Learned that the hard way once.

Last edited by Ian_289; 12/31/12 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12/31/12, 12:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ebay-ed the key and got it programed so I have three. Sadly my dealer has a free key replacement plan for the first year, but it has a $200 deductible. Nice right?
Old 12/31/12, 01:07 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian_289
Good to know

[COLOR=darkgreen]

And I completely agree with this ^ You should always keep a spare(regardless of whether it's a chipped key or a non-chipped copy) in your wallet for good measure. They're super expensive and a $3 key is a lot cheaper than a tow and locksmith bill. Learned that the hard way once.
That's why I like the number pad on my Explorers. I've heard people say how tacky and out of date they are on Fords, but I love them. They've saved my butt numerous times, a couple of times when I was out in the wilderness where there was no cell service.

I think Ford accessories still makes one you can add on to a Mustang. I've seen people mount them inside the gas lid or on the cowl below the windshield where the back of hood meets it.
Old 12/31/12, 01:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

That's why I like the number pad on my Explorers. I've heard people say how tacky and out of date they are on Fords, but I love them. They've saved my butt numerous times, a couple of times when I was out in the wilderness where there was no cell service.

I think Ford accessories still makes one you can add on to a Mustang. I've seen people mount them inside the gas lid or on the cowl below the windshield where the back of hood meets it.
They're even better integrated into the B-Pillar trim, as they are on the current Taurus/Lincolns...
Old 12/31/12, 01:28 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
They're even better integrated into the B-Pillar trim, as they are on the current Taurus/Lincolns...
Old 12/31/12, 03:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by laserred38
yup, i really like what they did with the new keyless entry pad on the new escape. Now i have yet to change the code on mine.
Old 12/31/12, 06:16 PM
BOSS Member

You can buy the ones without the buttons but with the chip inside so it will start the vehicle also, think I paid about $10 at the dealer. Make sure it has HA or SA stamped on the key so it works with the 80bit system. Think mine was for a '10 Explorer.
Old 12/31/12, 09:25 PM
GT Member

Not true. I was in the same situation. Looked for months! I ended up buying one from Ebay, took it to my local locksmith and they cut and programed it for like 10 bucks.

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

I also bought a keypad on Ebay and have it mounted on the windshield wiper cowl out of site.

Name:  055.jpg
Views: 3171
Size:  87.2 KB
Old 12/31/12, 09:42 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by SCHMOKN
Not true. I was in the same situation. Looked for months! I ended up buying one from Ebay, took it to my local locksmith and they cut and programed it for like 10 bucks.
Not sure what you're objecting to. If you cut a plain key without the transponder for your wallet it will not run the car. It starts and dies. But it does unlock doors and trunk.

Like I said, buy a transponder blank (original style if you choose) on ebay and your locksmith will cut it. Then you can program it with your original 2 keys. Beats paying a stealership $200 bucks.

Done this on 2 new cars (after learning the hard way on a girl friend's car that cost me $200) so I'm not making it up. 08 Ford, 08 & 10 Chrysler, 99 Jeep.

My locksmith's device could only confirm what brand transponder it had - he couldn't override it or program it. (One key I bought for my winter car came with the wrong brand transponder and wouldn't program.)

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/31/12 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12/31/12, 09:54 PM
GT Member

Not sure what you're objecting to. If you cut a plain key without the transponder for your wallet it will not run the car. It starts and dies. But it does unlock doors and trunk.

Like I said, buy a transponder blank (original style if you choose) on ebay and your locksmith will cut it. Then you can program it with your original 2 keys. Beats paying a stealership $200 bucks.

Done this on 2 new cars (after learning the hard way on a girl friends' car that cost me $200) so I'm not making it up.

That you have to have both keys. Yes to progam one yourself you need two. I had one key and had to get a second made. I bought the key on Ebay and had it cut and programed for 10 dollars, did not have to shell out $200 to the dealer.
Old 12/31/12, 09:56 PM
Post *****

That you have to have both keys. Yes to progam one yourself you need two. I had one key and had to get a second made. I bought the key on Ebay and had it cut and programed for 10 dollars, did not have to shell out $200 to the dealer.
My locksmith couldn't do that. I tried with 1 key. Did you have to provide the key code? It didn't matter to my locksmith. The Dealer could have used the key code but again - for bucks.
Old 12/31/12, 10:07 PM
GT Member

My locksmith couldn't do that. I tried with 1 key. Did you have to provide the key code? It didn't matter to my locksmith. The Dealer could have used the key code but again - for bucks.

No code. Went to their store with the car and the blank. They cut the key and hooked up a mini laptop and was done in 10 minutes.
Old 12/31/12, 10:13 PM
Post *****

Good luck! I'll spend the few bucks ahead of time.
Old 1/1/13, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My new C-MAX with the the' smart key' - push btton start, can only be programmed by the dealer. The owners manual says for a third key see the dealer. Anyone know how to program the 'smart key'? Also, can you program an uncut 80 bit key to lock and unlock the doors?
Old 1/1/13, 05:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I also bought a keypad on Ebay and have it mounted on the windshield wiper cowl out of site.

That's pretty slick! Any chance you can post instructions for that?
Old 1/1/13, 05:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
That's pretty slick! Any chance you can post instructions for that?

It's mounted with 3M tape that all. Programing directions come with the pad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-...b51a3e&vxp=mtr
Old 1/1/13, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
It's mounted with 3M tape that all. Programing directions come with the pad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-...b51a3e&vxp=mtr
Dang, that's a lot simpler than I expected - didn't realize it was strictly a radio-transmission thing. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Lost Key