2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

looking for opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/11 | 07:28 AM

You wanted justified for what you were doing more than differing opinions then. That's fine but the nice thing about having an opinion (and it's not what they say about ******** either!) is that nobody is wrong. Just perspectives.

And there are numerous apartments with attached and detached garage options. I pay an extra $150/month just to have a place for my car/skis/treestand. Finding one that will let you have a grill is another matter and almost drove me to buy a house this year.

Hope it works out for you the way you want.
Old 8/9/11 | 08:51 AM
V6 Member

If that's the only thing that ever happens to your car, then consider yourself very lucky indeed. Over time, your car is going to accumulate many little scratches and marks, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Also consider this -- if you did something that minor to someone else's car, how would you feel having to pay $500 to fix it?

Karma's a ***** indeed. Accidents happen, and if it were me, I'd be sad for a few minutes, but you gotta keep things in perspective -- you WILL have worse things happen to your car over time.
Old 8/9/11 | 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's one thing if you yourself put a mark on your car, if someone else does I agree with most here that person should pay to fix. OP you are being more than reasonable here. Good luck getting resolved. Hopefully it is a painless process!
Old 8/9/11 | 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think your overly critical, the amount of damage is fairly insignificant. I understand this is your baby, but just take a few steps back, breathe, and move on.
Old 8/9/11 | 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012 Black 5.0
Today i was driving around town and was stopped at a red light. The car behind me was stopped too. After maybe 20 seconds at the red light i get hit from behind. The guy in the car behind me wasn't paying attention and either took his foot off his brake or touched the gas cuz he bumped my car. I have a 2010 gt500 in what i call relatively mint condition with the exception of a few rock chips up front which i take a lot of time to touch up as best i can. The damage was minimal and no one was hurt. In the attached picture u can see the minor marks on the lower part of my rear bumper. If the car was dirty, u wouldn't be able to see the damage. However i did have a perfectly mint rear bumper before this.

The police officer we spoke with said we could go about this 2 ways.

1.) the guy gets a ticket and we file an accident report. Then i could file a claim with my insurance company and get the bumper fixed/replaced at no cost to me. However, i would technically have an accident on my car on carfax reports which could hurt my resale value. The guy gets a $150 ticket, plus would have his insurance go up for the ticket and my damage claim.

2.) i get some quotes from respectable repair shops and the guy pays the lowest quote out of his pocket. This saves my carfax and saves him a ticket and insurance hikes.
You're in MI, right? That's not how it works. MI is a no-fault state. Your insurance takes a financial hit, not his (his rates may go up for the ticket, but they do not pay your claim). You have to pay your deductible unless you have added broadform coverage (extra expense). The law, via the mini-tort statute, allows you or your insurance co. to go after a max of (I believe) $250 from his insurance to put towards your repairs/deductible. If having the cover sprayed is $200, and your deductible is $500, and you don't have broadform, you'll probably just end up paying out of pocket.

Also, pretty sure Carfax only lists whether a vehicle has been totaled/written off or not.

Last edited by J1000; 8/9/11 at 09:32 AM.
Old 8/9/11 | 09:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by J1000

Also, pretty sure Carfax only lists whether a vehicle has been totaled/written off or not.
I thought the same thing but it showed up on my last car.
Old 8/9/11 | 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

anything posted to a ins company will show up on carfax- 99.9% of the time
Old 8/9/11 | 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
anything posted to a ins company will show up on carfax- 99.9% of the time
Even maintenance work and vehicle state inspections show up some times.
Old 8/9/11 | 10:09 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by eas9898
If that's the only thing that ever happens to your car, then consider yourself very lucky indeed. Over time, your car is going to accumulate many little scratches and marks, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Also consider this -- if you did something that minor to someone else's car, how would you feel having to pay $500 to fix it?

Karma's a ***** indeed. Accidents happen, and if it were me, I'd be sad for a few minutes, but you gotta keep things in perspective -- you WILL have worse things happen to your car over time.
Turns out where the bumper (painter portion of bumper) meets up with the rear quarter panel just to the right of the rear right tail light, there is a small gap.

I took the car to 3 shops (one being a dealership body shop) to get quotes for repair. 2 of the 3 pointed out the gap and said the bumper must have slightly popped out of the mounting bracket during the bump to cause the gap. The 2 shops wrote that up in the estimate as well. If i was on the fence before about whether i was doing the right thing or not, after seeing the gap i definitely think getting it fixed is the right path.

The shop i'd like to go with quoted $268 for the new lower diffuser, the new mounting bracket and the labor. i don't think that is too ridiculous to get the guy to pay for since the ticket would have been $150 plus insurance hikes. It would have definitely cost more for him if we made an accident report.

As far as the insurance thing....as long as it was a no fault accident, the other person is insured and there is a police report, i'll be reimbersed by the other persons insurance company shortly after repairs are complete. Same sort of thing happened to my sister over the winter. She has same insurance company and same policy as i. She initially paid her deductable, but was payed back by the other insurance company about 2 weeks later.
Old 8/9/11 | 10:23 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by J1000

You're in MI, right? That's not how it works. MI is a no-fault state. Your insurance takes a financial hit, not his (his rates may go up for the ticket, but they do not pay your claim). You have to pay your deductible unless you have added broadform coverage (extra expense). The law, via the mini-tort statute, allows you or your insurance co. to go after a max of (I believe) $250 from his insurance to put towards your repairs/deductible. If having the cover sprayed is $200, and your deductible is $500, and you don't have broadform, you'll probably just end up paying out of pocket.

Just called my insurance agent and they verified everything i stated above. I will NOT get stuck with the repair bills if we resort back to option 1 and file the police report. My agent will go after the other insurance company to pay the deductable or in this case the cost of repair since it is less than the deductable. If ur insurance does not do that for u, i recommend u find a new agent......check out state farm.
Old 8/9/11 | 11:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Originally Posted by 2011_STANG_GT
Me: "You alright, man/miss?"

Them: "Yes, I'm so sorry!" or "Yes, I apologize!"

Me: "Glad to hear it, take care!"

A new bumper for a couple scratches? Nah. Getting bent out of shape over it? Even nah-er. If you offered to pay I wouldn't accept the money for it but that's just me.

If the person was a jerk? Then I'm more inclined to make them pay the tax.
Says the guy driving a..... ? ?
I don't know what he drives. The OP never mentioned what the guy who hit him was driving
Old 8/9/11 | 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

I learned a long time ago, call the cops, take the cash if you can get it on the spot, make sure you can always go back and file it as an accident if the payee backs out.

Of course, this is only for small things. I also know what it takes to repair a rear/front bumper as a rough estimate for someone offering cash. Also, a quick call to a body shop can get some ballpark prices.
Old 8/9/11 | 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Just called my insurance agent and they verified everything i stated above. I will NOT get stuck with the repair bills if we resort back to option 1 and file the police report. My agent will go after the other insurance company to pay the deductable or in this case the cost of repair since it is less than the deductable. If ur insurance does not do that for u, i recommend u find a new agent......check out state farm.
Just relaying what the law says:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ci...02_25083_7.pdf

1. Collision and Comprehensive Insurance
Your no-fault insurance DOES NOT pay for repairs to your car if it is damaged in an accident. If your car is properly parked and hit by another car, the other driver’s no-fault coverage will pay for the damage to your car. Except for this one situation, the only kinds of auto insurance that will pay for repairs to your car are collision and comprehensive coverage.

3. Limited Property Damage Liability Insurance - “Mini-Tort”
Most companies offer coverage for the $500 liability mentioned in (d) in the section on residual liability insurance.

Old 8/9/11 | 03:34 PM
V6 Member

Perhaps my agent is talking about the $500 mini tort thing. The info u provided sounds exactly like what they told me. We would go after the guys insurance company to cover my deductable ($500) or in this case the cost of repairs since they're less than $500. in the end i would pay nothing.
Old 8/9/11 | 08:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Perhaps my agent is talking about the $500 mini tort thing. The info u provided sounds exactly like what they told me. We would go after the guys insurance company to cover my deductable ($500) or in this case the cost of repairs since they're less than $500. in the end i would pay nothing.
Ahh, ok that makes more sense. Although, if the damage is less than $500, you'd probably be better off not making a claim in the long run for the other reasons you stated.
Old 8/13/11 | 08:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

I would accept his apology and accept his money to get my car fixed. Sure it was an honest mistake, but should you have to drive a scratched up car for his mistake?
Old 8/13/11 | 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Given that this part is $150 new from American muscle I would let the at fault party pay for It and pay to have it installed. If it were my car (2011 GT) I might be more inclined to just let it go. But not a shelby. But if the driver was insistent I would let him pay for the part since I want a gt500 rear valance anyway.
Old 8/13/11 | 07:35 PM
V6 Member

All is good now. Repairs were $267 for new diffuser and labor. I do have the one that was bumped if anyone is interested in it. The guy went and paid the bill thursday and everything was switched out on friday.
Old 8/13/11 | 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

All is good now. Repairs were $267 for new diffuser and labor. I do have the one that was bumped if anyone is interested in it. The guy went and paid the bill thursday and everything was switched out on friday.
Are there any parts of it broke? Like the mounting clips or plastic on the back side? If not Im looking for one! If the price is right I will take it (depending on how much you want for it of course). I was planning on having it painted anyway!
Old 8/13/11 | 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Im going to be in Champaign Il Tuesday and part of Wednesday. Would you consider meeting me half way? Since shipping will cost a small fortune more than likely! If not that's cool.

Quick Reply: looking for opinions....