Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Long term ownership- Surviving the middle age slump of our early 5.0s

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/11, 08:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Long term ownership- Surviving the middle age slump of our early 5.0s

So it has been fun owning the hot new motor on the block. There was a 12 month period where the 5.0 was THE motor to have...even coming close to the performance of the GT500 for 15k less cash.

Now that the Boss/forged version is out, the standard Coyote is losing some of its luster... so the decline begins.

Subsequent generations of this motor will inevitably leave this motor in the dust.

This has always been the case...but the good thing is that a two or three generations out, these cars will once again be revered regardless of how outdated the performance may be...people will remember the golowing magazine articles comparing the regular GT to the high water mark of performance (the M3), etc.

For example, the early modular motor cars are in the slump right now..and the 3v versions aren't far behind. Yes, they're good cars with nice engines but their performance is way behind the curve. Look back one more generation to the last of the Fox body cars with the last of the 302s....and they're already classics even though they were high 14 second cars in the 1/4 mile! Once again, those cars are special and can be appreciated without comparing them to state of the art machines.

So do you think you'll survive the middle aged slump that's coming for our cars or will you bail and upgrade?

Last edited by MRGTX; 8/31/11 at 08:38 AM.
Old 8/31/11, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
So do you think you'll survive the middle aged slump that's coming for our cars or will you bail and upgrade?
I think Ford intended the coyote platform to be their V8 performance motor for quiet some time. Any subsequent revisions won't be too huge of a change I would imagine; nothing substantial enough to be "behind the curve." If you feel that way then you can always turn to the aftermarket to improve performance over stock output.
Old 8/31/11, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0

I think Ford intended the coyote platform to be their V8 performance motor for quiet some time. Any subsequent revisions won't be too huge of a change I would imagine; nothing substantial enough to be "behind the curve." If you feel that way then you can always turn to the aftermarket to improve performance over stock output.
+ 1!!

Look how long Ford kept the 4.6L engine. I see the 5.0 being around for many years to come.
Old 8/31/11, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Aftermarket = The Great Equalizer
Old 8/31/11, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Look back one more generation to the last of the Fox body cars with the last of the 302s....and they're already classics even though they were high 14 second cars in the 1/4 mile!
I saw high 13's with slicks only on them in high school more than once.
Old 8/31/11, 01:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
There'll always be something newer just around the corner. Right now, the '13MY is iminent and it'll bring a refreshed exterior and possibly a small power boost.

24mths later and we'll all be suffering from next-gen-itis.

BUT.........every single Mustang, when taken in isolation, can stand proud as a fine example of the breed.

My 2005 may not be as refined, powerful or (arguably) as good looking as a '12, but it still rocks my world. In a world where most cars look alike, the Mustang is one of the few that has the character to enthrall us and make it one of the family.

The Mustang legend will run and run. Be happy with whatever chapter you have in your garage, safe in the knowledge it's part of the legend.

None of this stops me wanting a 2013 model though
Old 8/31/11, 01:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
There'll always be something newer just around the corner. Right now, the '13MY is iminent and it'll bring a refreshed exterior and possibly a small power boost.

BUT.........every single Mustang, when taken in isolation, can stand proud as a fine example of the breed.

My 2005 may not be as refined, powerful or (arguably) as good looking as a '12, but it still rocks my world. In a world where most cars look alike, the Mustang is one of the few that has the character to enthrall us and make it one of the family.

The Mustang legend will run and run. Be happy with whatever chapter you have in your garage, safe in the knowledge it's part of the legend.

well put, sir.
Old 8/31/11, 01:32 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this x100
Old 8/31/11, 01:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Those are some very good thoughts.

Not everyone can afford to upgrade to the next new model, nor does everyone want to upgrade. Everyone did pick their Mustang because there was something about it that they loved, and that's what makes that car special.
Old 8/31/11, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

If only I had $ to buy a new one every year!
Old 8/31/11, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I've owned: 86 GT, 87 GT, 96 GT, 99 GT and now the 2011 GT. All made me smile and all were fun to drive. All were modded ( nothing to extreme basic stuff) and all were head turners.. at least i felt they were. Now my 2011 with it's CAI + tune is probably my fastest it's also my favorite because i'm the 1st owner. My only regret is selling my 86 fully built GT. I should of kept that baby.
Old 9/1/11, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

If the '13 MY is a huge improvement, I might trade up. If not, I'll likely keep my '11 at least until the '15 comes out, or I stop messing about and pick up a GT500
Old 9/1/11, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
If the '13 MY is a huge improvement, I might trade up.
I really don't see Ford doing a "huge inporvement" maybe just a couple of extra bells and whistles. They are going to go all out on th 2015. So if you trade up to a 2013 you will be trading up again to 2015?
Old 9/2/11, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
I really don't see Ford doing a "huge inporvement" maybe just a couple of extra bells and whistles. They are going to go all out on th 2015. So if you trade up to a 2013 you will be trading up again to 2015?
I tend to trade up quite frequently. I only had my last Mustang nine or so months before trading up for an '11
Old 9/2/11, 06:44 AM
Cobra R Member

I love my car, and I don't live to drag race...
Luckily I've never had that need to one up everyone around me so I can really care less how much horsepower the guy next to me has lol there will always be something faster to come out the next year.
I'm glad I got what i wanted
I'm VERY happy with my baby and I won't be selling it ever.

^What's not to love? the new body style doesn't do it for me, not muscley enough.

Last edited by fdjizm; 9/2/11 at 06:48 AM.
Old 9/2/11, 08:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
I love my car, and I don't live to drag race...
Luckily I've never had that need to one up everyone around me so I can really care less how much horsepower the guy next to me has lol there will always be something faster to come out the next year.
I'm glad I got what i wanted
I'm VERY happy with my baby and I won't be selling it ever.

^What's not to love? the new body style doesn't do it for me, not muscley enough.
Definitely a beautiful car you have there...and I don't blame you one bit for loving it. For some of us though, the performance is an important aspect of the cars and admit it or not, performance is an entirely relative set of attributes. The current batch of Camry/Accord v6 models isnt far behind the 2005-2009 Mustang GTs in terms of performance now. The bar has moved. obviously those cars are soulless and absolutely no fun to drive but the fact remains.

So it's not a matter of some of us "needing to one-up everybody" its that having a relatively fast car is part of the appeal of the Mustang.

I'd never turn down a run behind the wheel of a 2005 style GT. I loved mine. You have to admit though that the motor has lost some of it's shine.

That said, it sounds like you have already survived the slump of your body style...you love the car for it's own merits, you have no desire to trade up for a newer one and that's all that matters.

Last edited by MRGTX; 9/2/11 at 08:44 AM.
Old 9/2/11, 08:50 AM
Cobra R Member

I completely understand and I have a procharger in my garage to install next year for my own personal need for more ooomph.
I love the new boss (more for it's performance) I can see myself maybe going for a 2015 mustang though if it tickles my fancy, and because it's the 50th anniversary.
But again if it's not "pretty" in my eyes then no new stang for me regardless of how much power it comes with stock.
Old 9/2/11, 09:01 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good words except I would (defiently) take out the good looking part! This is the single reason I have not purchased a new 5.0. I am waiting to see if Ford does an exterior redesign (mainly rear). When I first bought my 2005 I felt everything about it was perfect! I want to feel that when I purchase my next one! The performance is tempting but not been enough for me to sell my current stang... JMO

Edit- If I was in the market for a car I would definently purchase a new 5.0!

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 9/2/11 at 09:03 AM.
Old 9/2/11, 06:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'll definately be in the market for the next generation 'Stang, i could care less what cosmetic changes they do to the '13 MY, my '11 puts a smile off my face everytime i drive it.
Old 9/2/11, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is precisely why I lease my cars. Keep them for 36 months and then move on/up. You'd better believe the next gen is on the radar. And if the redesigned car comes and I totally hate it I can just buy my current car... But I doubt that will happen!

Quick Reply: Long term ownership- Surviving the middle age slump of our early 5.0s