The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Likely moving to Germany ... need some advice (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/likely-moving-germany-need-some-advice-545804/)

EF1 12/24/19 07:56 AM

Merry Christmas and have a good visit home before going back to your European adventure.

Mustang Freak 12/24/19 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by EF1
Merry Christmas and have a good visit home before going back to your European adventure.

Ditto! :yup:

5.M0NSTER 1/6/20 08:39 PM

Thanks fellas' the last few weeks really showed us how much we miss home, and all the friends we have here. Another 1.5 years for my wife and daughter (so the little one can start 1st grade here) and a bit more for me. We've had so many people ask if we're going to localize in Germany. To which the answer we happily give is NOOOOOOOO! We miss the little things, and the little things add up over time. I can't even explain how much I missed a good Burger, Spicy Wings, or Detroit style deep dish pizza. It's been a good home trip, and it's reaffirmed our true North. Looking forward to be back stateside for good in 2021. Happy New Year friends!

And PP2 as well as GT350 (and also C7 Grand Sport) are all looking good to me right now. Excited to be in one of those when I get back!

shaneyusa 1/8/20 10:05 AM

Understand missing the little things. Only been away from US for a month or more a couple times. That Good Burger and Good Pizza are hard to find when away. Great choices of rides on your return. All of those are on my list for replacements in the future... Enjoy the time you have, it will go very quickly!

SMOKE46 1/17/20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2015GT350 (Post 7031839)
I spoke with a German who ran a stereo shop, that moved here from Germany when he was in his 20's and told him that I wanted to move to Germany. He told me, "Oh, no you don't." I said why not? He kept insisting that the US is one of the best places to live in and how many places close early all over the place in Germany. In the big cities you got Best Buy and Walmart and all the stores that stay open until 9 or even 24 hours. He said that doesn't exist in Germany. He told me I would not be happy living there. I guess the best part would be the German beer and the German women.
Anyway, he said to just stay here. So that totally killed my idea of wanting to move. And basically every single immigrant I ever speak with all tells me basically the same thing about moving to their countries as well. They all say that the USA is the best place to live. There's a reason why you need a VISA to come here I guess. My wife is also an immigrant and I've told her about moving to her country for over 10 years and she tells me, "HELL NO!" I wish I could go for 3-6 months and see for myself what these people are all talking about.

beer is great Pilsner they drink it warm but I was a GI and we only went to bars that had cold beer. The woman well their are some nice ones nut Netherlands were better, trouble with German girls some of them didn't shave their legs it fooled alot of guys they thought they were climbing in sack with a guy. I had alot of fun their but I also had a cool car 57 Chebby midnight blue metalic witha 389 tripower GTO motor it, was a sweet car

SMOKE46 1/17/20 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 7047103)
Thanks fellas' the last few weeks really showed us how much we miss home, and all the friends we have here. Another 1.5 years for my wife and daughter (so the little one can start 1st grade here) and a bit more for me. We've had so many people ask if we're going to localize in Germany. To which the answer we happily give is NOOOOOOOO! We miss the little things, and the little things add up over time. I can't even explain how much I missed a good Burger, Spicy Wings, or Detroit style deep dish pizza. It's been a good home trip, and it's reaffirmed our true North. Looking forward to be back stateside for good in 2021. Happy New Year friends!

And PP2 as well as GT350 (and also C7 Grand Sport) are all looking good to me right now. Excited to be in one of those when I get back!

If you get a chance to travel to IDAR-OBERSTEIN it used to be Gem mining town. They built a church into the side of a mountain there hen you walk inside it will shock you how they polished all the stonework to glitter from lights inside church. Actually Bruce Willis was born there his, father was in Army there.

5.M0NSTER 3/16/20 09:17 AM

Hey guys, quick check in from my side. The Corona lock-down in Germany is now in full effect. We're all have to work from home, schools and kindergardens are closed till APRIL 20th, bars and other places for large gatherings are closed. This flu is getting really annoying.

We were planning to spend Easter weekend in Amsterdam, but as of yesterday Germany closed borders with Benelux as well as Austria and Switzerland and de-facto with Italy. Looks like no one is going anywhere anytime soon. I also wonder if my track events are effected. I'm scheduled for 2 days on the 'Ring April 27th and May 8th, but I have a feeling that won't happen.

How is it back home? How are you guys coping with the restrictions?

Siber Express 3/16/20 04:14 PM

They bought all the Toilet Paper and Hand Sanitizer, Canceled the NBA, NHL and 2 NASCAR races So Far. All the NCAA tournaments are canceled and it seems that most schools are getting there.
Other than that we can go anywhere by car in the US. Not sure if Border Crossings are closed but no travel to Europe and a lot of local flights are canceled.
Gas is under $2.00 a gallon on a good note, So it will be off to The Tail of the Dragon in the Mustang.

EF1 3/16/20 06:07 PM

I am in the same part of the country as Siber so not much more to report. The grocery stores got hit harder than if they forecast snow, other than that we have it better than some other parts of the country. Large events and gatherings have been cancelled including sports, schools and concerts. Most of the schools were closed for spring break this week so it in't too noticeable, but they are extending spring break for another 1-2 weeks. Stores and restaurants are still open, unlike some states (Michigan included)which have forced closures of all bars and dine in restaurants. Other than toilet paper, bottled water and cleaning supplies there is still food on the shelves unlike some other areas on the news where the shelves are bare.

shaneyusa 3/17/20 06:12 AM

Out west it is a similar situation. The state where I am was one of the last handful to detect a case. So far only five are official, I am sure more are out there, but just have not been tested.

It is just shocking to see store shelves empty for cleaning supplies, canned goods, pasta, oatmeal, baking items (flour, pancake mix, etc.), and especially the paper products (TP, Paper towels, tissue) and bottled water. The grocery chains are assuring through the media, that they have plenty of food. All food items will be restocked to stores as soon as trucks can get there. The distribution centers have plenty on hand. People seem to still be respectful and I have not heard of any confrontations over items.

There are those who are really taking this serious, yet others say things like "I will not change my life or be confined". Being in the over 60 crowd this is concerning and seems a bit selfish. Surprising, those that I am hearing stuff like this from are from all walks of life, not just the young.

Everything I know of is still open and have not heard of any closures, but hours have been adjusted. Some of the open 24 hours stores are closing (Walmart and local Grocery chains) to clean and restock.

Eating out is going away quickly, but the restaurants are still open. Some fast food are switching to drive up only. Dining out is not banned yet, but people are starting to avoid.

We too have all the schools and universities closed until the end of March (at least, if not longer).

There are no travel restrictions within the country, but world hot spots are being closed. The border with Canada it closed for all but essential travel.

5.M0NSTER 3/17/20 12:11 PM

Hang in there guys. Hope everyone stays healthy. Here playgrounds and gyms closed today, and I just heard that all night life and cultural events in Stuttgart will be closed till June 15th (or at least closing by 6pm). I've been working from home, so has my wife, and we have our daughter at home too. It's been only 2 days but it already seems like a lot. Sometimes my wife and I have parallel meetings, and there is no way a 5YO can leave you alone for an hour. Going to work may seem like a vacation after this.

Mustang Freak 3/17/20 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fresh bagels anyone...? :heh:
Attachment 212957

Siber Express 3/17/20 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak (Post 7049162)
Fresh bagels anyone...? :heh:
Attachment 212957

I will have 6 Plain and 6 onion. Probably no Lox either.

Mustang Freak 3/17/20 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I will have 6 Plain and 6 onion. Probably no Lox either.

:rofl2:

5.M0NSTER 3/27/20 09:14 AM

Hey guys, I hope you and your families are staying healthy.

We are under Stay Home order, but we can still go jog, walk our dogs, and be outside together as a family. Just not with other people. I know US is about to experience the crest of the Corona wave. I hope you all stay safe, and lets hope this passes sooner lather than later. A lot of people's track days are already affected. Let's hope our loved ones are not.

shaneyusa 3/27/20 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 7049553)
Hey guys, I hope you and your families are staying healthy.

We are under Stay Home order, but we can still go jog, walk our dogs, and be outside together as a family. Just not with other people. I know US is about to experience the crest of the Corona wave. I hope you all stay safe, and lets hope this passes sooner lather than later. A lot of people's track days are already affected. Let's hope our loved ones are not.

Sounds similar to what was put in place here last Tuesday (3/24). Idaho is under a stay home order with only "essential" businesses allowed to be open (Grocery, Pharmacy, Medical, and some gray area items like auto mechanics, home improvement, and appliance stores). Essential term seems to be a little loose, but still restricts normal activity. Stay well out there!!!

SpectreH 3/27/20 11:03 AM

Fortunately, I have learned that for now, my job is essential so I will be at work for the foreseeable future. If required to go on leave, I have 885 sick hours accrued along with 110 vacation hours.

5.M0NSTER 5/30/20 03:41 PM

Hey guys, it's been a few months. I hope everyone is staying healthy back home.

We have been under lockdown for a while, but it's been slowly lifting off. Last weekend we took a 2h drive to Mainau, a beautiful botanic gardens island to the south. Right by Konstanz and lake Boden. Right by the border with Switzerland. And today we visited a mall and out favorite restaurant in Ludvigsburg. People here follow rules to the T, and so now after 3 months of Stay At Home orders everyone is maintaining distance and wearing masks. I think this is why the German Government feels it can lift restrictions and still be safe. People stay vigilant.

We were supposed to spend Easter in Amsterdam, which did not happen. This week we were suppose to be in Spain and Portugal, which also did not happen. And in 2 weeks we were supposed to visit my family in Poland, which is also not going to happen. Ban on hotel stays and quarantines inside the EU will lift on June 14th (we hope).

I also had to re-range my track days. I was set for 2 Nordschleife days in April and May, but that of course did not happen. Now shooting for July and August.

Anyway, here are a few photos of our recent day trips. Hoping everyone back home is safe and that lifting of quarantines continues as well.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...3229a7bafa.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...e399a737fc.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...99b6c5d8d1.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...14746669f2.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...6c661464eb.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...4a62965c95.jpg

Mustang Freak 5/30/20 04:37 PM

Nice pics! :yup:

shaneyusa 5/31/20 03:29 PM

Very nice, gorgeous shots. Love to see that in person some day.

Not so much rule followers in my location. When we go out, most are not wearing masks even though they have been asked to. Many are not taking this serious. Some are even calling this a big hoax and just a way to take away our civil liberties. There are a few that are taking it serious and the economy is being opened back up. We will see how it goes.