Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

LED Really??

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/08, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LED Really??

The tail lights just don't look LED to me. Or maybe my idea of LED is not right. When I think of LED I think of Cadillac DTS type lights where the LEDs are all bundled together to create the lamp.

The mustang lights just don't like like that or the Mazda 6 or the Audi A4 to me. It looks like a reflected light still to me. especially with the rectangle in the center and the central looking bulb. Is it that they are using only 3 LEDs per lamp and just reflecting the light around? I like the more clear look of the 99-04 lamps better. Of course this is only off of photos. They may look completely different in person. I think they look way Plasticy. Do they look better in person?
Old 11/25/08, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like they aren't illuminated.
Old 11/25/08, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Judging by the video at the Ford Web site and the Speed reveal, it looks to me like they are, indeed, LED based on the speed with which the brake lights fire.

BUT, they do not look like they are a cluster or array of small LEDs, as most cars, including the Caddie you cite, do.

Instead, it appears to me that they have substituted a single large LED in what would traditionally be an incandescent light bulb location - the center of the light element.

If that is so, it seems to me to be a simultaneous nod to retro (bulb) and modern (LED). And if THAT is so, that would be another novel touch on this car.

Anyone who saw the reveal live, or saw the L.A show have an observation?
Old 11/25/08, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Zoomie
Judging by the video at the Ford Web site and the Speed reveal, it looks to me like they are, indeed, LED based on the speed with which the brake lights fire.

BUT, they do not look like they are a cluster or array of small LEDs, as most cars, including the Caddie you cite, do.

Instead, it appears to me that they have substituted a single large LED in what would traditionally be an incandescent light bulb location - the center of the light element.

If that is so, it seems to me to be a simultaneous nod to retro (bulb) and modern (LED). And if THAT is so, that would be another novel touch on this car.

Anyone who saw the reveal live, or saw the L.A show have an observation?
I can't remember where I saw a picture but I did see one that was clear enough that you could see that it was one single LED like Zoomie said above.
Old 11/25/08, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

What about the explanatory blurb released with the taillight teaser? Any info there?
Old 11/25/08, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's what I was thinking. Not sure why the big hooray about it though, other then they fire quicker and use less energy?
Old 11/25/08, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zzcoop
What about the explanatory blurb released with the taillight teaser? Any info there?
From the Ford Web site tail-light teaser text:

"The three individual red chambers, each lit with LED technology, are separated by two clear vertical back-up elements to ensure the tri-bar look is identifiable when lit or unlit."

Doesn't tell you much...
Old 11/25/08, 02:42 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Its probably a single LED per bar.

This way you don't get that stupid 'oh look...he's got a bunch of LEDs out' look if it goes kaput....
Old 11/25/08, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Its probably a single LED per bar.

This way you don't get that stupid 'oh look...he's got a bunch of LEDs out' look if it goes kaput....
good point
Old 11/25/08, 03:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the skinny!

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...1A5C1B109FD%7D
Old 11/25/08, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

From the article:
"The 2010 Ford Mustang's design is a more aggressive and muscular take on the iconic look that has come to define Mustang, while drawing inspiration from the car's rich heritage. For example, the new vertical taillamp design utilizes three LED bulbs that fire sequentially, from the center out, a feature not seen on Mustang since the 1960s."

Well.. not stock anyway.

Also, my 2 bits: three LEDs is way better than a whole bunch of small LEDs. All the benefit of LEDs while maintaining the classic look of the tail lights while lit.

Thanks TopNotch!
Old 11/25/08, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
does anyone know if they do the sequential thing with you hit the brakes? or just the turn signal?
Old 11/25/08, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

i like the idea of one bulb instead of the cluster. hell when i am driving at night and see a caddy i have to get past them or let them go because those **** tail lights mess up my vision bad! maybe i can take gm to court, oh wait, they can not afford that right now!

Last edited by sgt d; 11/25/08 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11/25/08, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by spike
From the article:
"The 2010 Ford Mustang's design is a more aggressive and muscular take on the iconic look that has come to define Mustang, while drawing inspiration from the car's rich heritage. For example, the new vertical taillamp design utilizes three LED bulbs that fire sequentially, from the center out, a feature not seen on Mustang since the 1960s."

Well.. not stock anyway.

Also, my 2 bits: three LEDs is way better than a whole bunch of small LEDs. All the benefit of LEDs while maintaining the classic look of the tail lights while lit.

Thanks TopNotch!
I remember the Cougar and Thunderbirds coming from the factory with sequential taillights but What year did Ford put them on the Mustang?
Old 11/25/08, 08:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Here is a pic with the light lit up for LA auto show

Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails LED Really??-led-taillights.jpg  
Old 11/25/08, 11:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Indystang
I remember the Cougar and Thunderbirds coming from the factory with sequential taillights but What year did Ford put them on the Mustang?
68 California Specials & High Country Specials. And, didn't late '60's Shelby Mustangs have sequentials?

I have CDC sequentials in my 07 GT and always wondered why Ford didn't do them as standard equipment in all Mustangs.
Old 11/25/08, 11:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Indystang
Ford never actually put the sequential tail lights in a Mustang. Sequential lights appeared as a Standard Feature on the 65 Thunderbird. The sequential lights people refer to on the Mustang were actually those same 65 Thunderbird tail lights fitted to Regional Special Editions and Shelby's, Minus the Chrome Trim .

Here is a Link How to Install those Same T-Bird Tail Lights on a Mustang.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto...hts/index.html

Last edited by TampaBear67; 11/25/08 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11/25/08, 11:28 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I saw them in LA and they are definitely three LED bulbs
Old 11/26/08, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

not sure about the t bird swap but i know the cougar tail light swap was popular
Old 11/26/08, 10:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Correct, the tail lamps from either a '64 or '65 T-Bird were used in the Shelbys. But not the sequencers. The sequencers in 64-66 T-Birds are a mechanical cam/follower relay design, with a motor that drove the cam, and three separate followers to light the lights in order. The same cam motor was used for either side, and was independent of the brakes and the hazards.

In '66 the T-bird (by then the refined, and best looking of the 3) had a lovely full length bar with an integrated center backup light that at night was red unless the backup lights were needed. This was accomplished with three red 'cups' placed over the lights in the bar, and two clear lights that 'overrode' the three 'red' ones. Unless you knew, you could not see the difference between this, and the completely uncupped lights in the outer lenses, which were all red.

The 67 and up used a solid state module instead of the mechanical one, which was also transferred to the 67 and up Cougars. There was no noise like the mechanical one, and also no radio interference.

Kinda miss the ol' 66 Tbird I had... but I don't miss the gas guzzling, and hard to find front end and engine stuff.

Quick Reply: LED Really??