Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Le Bra??

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/10, 08:58 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Le Bra??

I am going to go for roughly a 2000 mile trip, mostly on highways, and was thinking about whether or not this would be worth installing temporarily. I would just get one for the hood, not the bumper. Was thinking of just using it for long trips because they are a bit hideous in my opinion.

Also, I do not like the looks of the 3M clear product and would not consider this.

My son has a Le Bra on his Sable and had a problem with it vibrating above 65, resulting in a line of scratches on his hood.

Anybody have any experience with these? Any brand to recommend? I know Colgan makes one for the 2011 GT for around $70.
Old 10/26/10, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a clear bra on my car...

Here's one from Ford
http://www.partscheap.com/2010_Musta...z-19a413-e.htm
Old 10/26/10, 10:26 AM

Anything with a french name used on an American car does not work...
Old 10/26/10, 01:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cover the front with blue painter's tape. Cheaper and works well too.
Old 10/26/10, 01:39 PM
Cobra Member

Not sure about rocks, but does a good job against bugs and tire chunks:
http://www.soloperformance.com/ISC-S...lm_p_1488.html

http://www.soloperformance.com/Road-...lm_p_1519.html

Old 10/26/10, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Cover the front with blue painter's tape. Cheaper and works well too.
Agreed. I drove from Detroit to Naples, Florida third day I had my car. Worked light a charm. I drove through about three severe storms which is why the tape started peeling in parts. Worked perfectly. I'd already taken some of the tape off in the picture.

Old 10/26/10, 02:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

You drove all that distance with that blue tape on. You must have seen a few smiling faces. I taught about doing something with mine when driving from Rochester N-Y to Montreal, but decided not to.
Old 10/26/10, 02:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wanted the regular bra as I am hard on them, with a lot of high speed interstate driving with semi's and gravel trucks...ugh! I checked with Colgan and they are working on one for the 2011 GT/ CS, so for kicks, I tried the hood only piece from my 2007 GT/CS and it fits like a glove. Great for those leading edge chips. The front bumper has survived 3800 miles with no chips. It seems Ford has greatly improved the paint on the front of the car. I am impressed, but I still want the full bra. The one on my 2007 sacrificed itself for the car when a large rock, imbedded between the tires of a semi, came loose and hit the front head on. I was doing 75, as was the truck. The bra took the full hit and was ripped down to the soft inner lining. No damage to the car. They may be ugly, but they will save the car.
Old 10/26/10, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wouldn't. I've had hood bras for several cars, and invariably they caused damage. You have to be very careful to get them tight enough to prevent any flapping, which will scratch your paint, and you have to be careful to always remove it if it rains, and never have it on when it is wet, or it can cause fogging in the paint, which is especially bad in darker colors.

They make a temporary protection film that is similar to the clear bra stuff, but easy to apply, inexpensive, and is good for up to seven days. I'd use something like this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...n+film+roll.do
Old 10/26/10, 03:16 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangpilot007
Agreed. I drove from Detroit to Naples, Florida third day I had my car. Worked light a charm. I drove through about three severe storms which is why the tape started peeling in parts. Worked perfectly. I'd already taken some of the tape off in the picture.

grabber blue and black go very well together

I'm not joking either
Old 10/26/10, 04:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Ministang
I wouldn't. I've had hood bras for several cars, and invariably they caused damage. You have to be very careful to get them tight enough to prevent any flapping, which will scratch your paint, and you have to be careful to always remove it if it rains, and never have it on when it is wet, or it can cause fogging in the paint, which is especially bad in darker colors.

They make a temporary protection film that is similar to the clear bra stuff, but easy to apply, inexpensive, and is good for up to seven days. I'd use something like this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...n+film+roll.do
That's good to know as long as you remember to make an opening for the radiator.
Old 10/26/10, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's mine before I got clear bra. LOL

Edit: Tape on a NON-WAXED car is good up to about 126 mph, until it'll start peeling.

Last edited by chutoyy; 10/26/10 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10/27/10, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

Painters Tape sounds like a great idea! Thanks so much!
Will it stick to waxed surfaces?
Old 10/27/10, 07:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
bra's suck don't use one! I have seen and heard to many bad stories about them.
Old 10/27/10, 09:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by rhans
Will it stick to waxed surfaces?
I use a super slick synthetic sealant and it was very difficult to apply painters tape. The tape just did NOT want to stick. Definitely do not wax the car right before applying tape or you will have a heck of a time.
Old 10/27/10, 09:36 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Adam
I use a super slick synthetic sealant and it was very difficult to apply painters tape. The tape just did NOT want to stick. Definitely do not wax the car right before applying tape or you will have a heck of a time.
Which sealant do you use? I've been quite fond of Blackfire Wet Diamond lately.
Old 10/27/10, 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
bra's suck don't use one! I have seen and heard to many bad stories about them.
When taking it off, I got hit in the eye with the clasp! Hurt like a son of a gun, but I was able to continue...

Wait... are we still talking about cars here????
Old 10/27/10, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2011 GT
When taking it off, I got hit in the eye with the clasp! Hurt like a son of a gun, but I was able to continue...

Wait... are we still talking about cars here????

Ahhh, a wiseguy, eh??

Was just wondering when somebody would make it naughty
Old 10/27/10, 04:47 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ministang
Same here. Two bra's, two clouded hoods. And it was from the cotton? liner wicking moisture from the air - not from leaving them on after rain.

Too bad OP doesn't like 3M clear mask. Guess everything's a compromise. You can do nothing and let your front end get chipped up, get clouded paint from bra's, drive around with blue painters tape (that doesn't remove over time), or get the nearly invisible 3M product.

Both my 08 & 10 cars have 3M FTMFW!!!!
Old 10/27/10, 05:50 PM
Banned

I would stay away from LeBra, they always seem cheaply made, rip easy and flap a lot; but I have a Ford-made (Motorcraft) bra on the front of my Focus, it's well-made and doesn't seem to flap at all. I have a lot of highway construction in my area and I know it's saved me a few nicks and chips. I take it off and wash it and wax underneath it; the material seems to wick away the moisture pretty good and the paint hasn't clouded at all in the time I've had it.

The side bonus came when I hit a bear-sized raccoon doing 60mph; the bumper on that side shattered and pushed the A/C rad into the radiator and the bumper actually held together until the bra came off. lol

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 10/27/10 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Le Bra??