2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Keys / Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/10, 01:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keys / Keyless Entry

Lately I've been curious about the 2010+ keys. Is the keyless entry stuff on a separate key fob or built into the key? What buttons does it have on it? Can you unlock and open the door with your key (the old fashion way without using a button) without some stupid alarm going off? Will I be accidentally hitting the panic button in the middle of the night because the keys get jammed up in my pocket wrong and the panic button is too exposed? Also, I assume that the lock/unlock can be set to just flash the parking lights, or perhaps do nothing at all? I hate when they are set for honk.
Old 1/31/10, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to the manual, the 2010's don't have an electronic fob. The buttons are built into the key itself. Only the driver's door has an outside mechanical lock. The passenger door and trunk must be opened from the inside or with the signal from the key. I've never heard of a car whose alarm goes off because somebody used the key to mechanically unlock the door.
Old 1/31/10, 03:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Per the 2010 Owners Manual ...

KEYS
Your vehicle may be equipped with
two Integrated Keyhead
Transmitters (IKTs). The key blade
functions as a programmed key
which starts the vehicle and
unlocks/locks all the doors. The
transmitter portion functions as the
remote entry transmitter.
Your IKTs are programmed to your vehicle; using a non-programmed key
will not permit your vehicle to start. If you lose your authorized dealer
supplied IKTs, replacement IKTs are available through your authorized

dealer. Standard SecuriLock
keys without remote entry transmitter
functionality can also be purchased from your authorized dealer if
desired.
Always carry a spare key with you in case of an emergency.
For more information regarding programming replacement IKTs, refer to
the

SecuriLockpassive anti-theft system section later in this chapter.
Note:

Your vehicle’s IKTs were
issued with a security tag that
provides important vehicle key cut
information. It is recommended that
you keep the tag in a safe place for
future reference.

Doug

Old 1/31/10, 03:41 PM
V6 Member

See virtually all 1990s toyotas and hondas for an example of cars that will set off their own alarm if you just use the key to unlock it. So annoying. Of course that is because many of them were dumb enough to make the lock/unlock button double for arm/disarm for the alarm.
Old 1/31/10, 03:50 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
According to the manual, the 2010's don't have an electronic fob. The buttons are built into the key itself. Only the driver's door has an outside mechanical lock. The passenger door and trunk must be opened from the inside or with the signal from the key. I've never heard of a car whose alarm goes off because somebody used the key to mechanically unlock the door.
On my mom's '06 Escape, if you turn off the car and lock the doors, then proceed to get out, the alarm will go off. I think that's what he means. Or if you lock it with the windows down, car off, then reach in and pull the door lever, the alarm goes off too. It's annoying and emabarrasing. I always just open my truck from through the window in a parking lot, then when I take my mom's, it yells at me!
Old 1/31/10, 04:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Just a rundown to what each button does...
Lock: First hit it will lock all doors and no horn honk. 2nd immediate hit and the horn will sound.
Also, the parking lights will blink. (night time)
Unlock: hit once, only the drivers door opens, 2nd time passenger door will unlock too.
Also, parking lamps stay light up for about 15 sec no heads or fogs. (night time)
trunk: needs to be hit twice. once does nothing.
Panic: doesn't just go off if smashed in pocket...needs to be pressed and then the car goes off.

Old 2/1/10, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
On my mom's '06 Escape, if you turn off the car and lock the doors, then proceed to get out, the alarm will go off. I think that's what he means. Or if you lock it with the windows down, car off, then reach in and pull the door lever, the alarm goes off too. It's annoying and emabarrasing. I always just open my truck from through the window in a parking lot, then when I take my mom's, it yells at me!
No. While what you said is also annoying, I was referring to manually unlocking the door with the key from the outside, and then the alarm going off when you open the door from the outside. My Jeep Liberty does this. I know most all people only use the keyless entry these days and it's probably cheaper, but unlocking the door manually with the key should disable the alarm.

Come to think of it, what's the point of the alarm in the first place? Do the factory alarms go off when a window is broken? If not, I don't see a point. If you want your car secure, you lock the doors. Alarms shouldn't be going off unless a window is broken or a lock defeated.
Old 2/1/10, 12:46 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Skotty
I was referring to manually unlocking the door with the key from the outside, and then the alarm going off when you open the door from the outside. My Jeep Liberty does this. I know most all people only use the keyless entry these days and it's probably cheaper, but unlocking the door manually with the key should disable the alarm.
My 08 PT does that with the key. Its stupid. Maybe its a Chrysler thing.
My Bullitt I can use the key anytime and it does not set the alarm off.
Old 2/1/10, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

Here's what I'd like to see as an additional feature with the remote unlocking. If the car has heated seats and it is below, say maybe 40 degrees Fahrenheit or colder, the seat heaters ought to turn on when you unlock the doors remotely. Allow the owner to set the temperature where this features kicks in or turn it off completely. There are probably some cars that already do this but I've never heard the feature advertised.
Old 2/4/10, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Skotty
...Will I be accidentally hitting the panic button in the middle of the night because the keys get jammed up in my pocket wrong and the panic button is too exposed?..
Probably.

But with MyKey at least you'll be able to limit top speed and stereo volume... standard on 2011 Mustangs.

Old 2/5/10, 09:11 AM
Cobra R Member

MyKey is pointless unless the car is driven by teenagers.
Old 2/5/10, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Adam2004
MyKey is pointless unless the car is driven by teenagers.
What about your hot-headed girl/boy-friends? In-laws? Hotel attendants? Dealer lot jockies?

Lots of folks would like to experience 412hp for the 1st time... zero to high-speed wreck in 10 seconds. Lots of examples on youtube. 400+hp makes some people crazy.

Just wish MyKey could also reduce the power to 250 or so.
Old 2/5/10, 11:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by V8 Junkie
What about your hot-headed girl/boy-friends? In-laws? Hotel attendants? Dealer lot jockies?

Lots of folks would like to experience 412hp for the 1st time... zero to high-speed wreck in 10 seconds. Lots of examples on youtube. 400+hp makes some people crazy.

Just wish MyKey could also reduce the power to 250 or so.
You can still get to 80mph. Plenty of speed for a horrific accident.
Old 2/5/10, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

i believe with my key you can vary the speed limiter so if your state is 65 on the highways you can make it 65 and so on. i think the best (most useful?) feature that ford can add with memory keys will be memory seats.
Old 2/5/10, 12:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
Here's what I'd like to see as an additional feature with the remote unlocking. If the car has heated seats and it is below, say maybe 40 degrees Fahrenheit or colder, the seat heaters ought to turn on when you unlock the doors remotely. Allow the owner to set the temperature where this features kicks in or turn it off completely. There are probably some cars that already do this but I've never heard the feature advertised.
Rented a Cadillac a while back and you could set the seat heaters and the rear defrost to turn on with the remote start. But I think the fear would be running seat heaters without the car running = dead battery in no time.
Old 2/5/10, 03:01 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang
Rented a Cadillac a while back and you could set the seat heaters and the rear defrost to turn on with the remote start. But I think the fear would be running seat heaters without the car running = dead battery in no time.
doesnt remote start=car running ?
Old 2/5/10, 03:02 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Don't get all technical now... LOL
Old 2/5/10, 03:14 PM
MOTM Committee Member

lol charlie
Old 2/5/10, 07:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yes it does, and on my 2009 Escape, you can set heated seats before turning off engine, and then when remotely started, they will come on and shut off automatically after 5 minutes.
Old 2/6/10, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes... but he was asking for the heated seats to turn on when the car was unlocked. I was saying I hadn't seen a car that would do that because of the possible dead battery situation but there were cars that would turn it on with the remote start.

Quick Reply: Keys / Keyless Entry