Sponsored By:

Just got a new 2011 GT. Few questions please

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/10, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Just got a new 2011 GT. Few questions please

Greetings,

Have a few questions in regards to my new 5.0.

- On ford website, this is the picture of the comfort package setup

http://www.fordvehicles.com/resource...eatedseats.jpg

It has 2 levels of heat. My car doesn't. It only has one and it doesn't seem like it heats it up a lot. I have a 2004 Mercedes and the two level heated seats make your rear end feel the burn a bit. Which is nice during cold days in winter. Anyone else experience this?

- My HID headlights seem a bit low. I'd say by 4mm down then they should be. Is it just me? Where exactly should they be hitting the road? If I turn the high beams on, it's freaking amazing. Otherwise, on non-lit roads it seems a bit low.

- On the left side, where you turn your lights on, what is the last setting all the way to the right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. I believe the best way to describe it is having a light-bulb with some writing in it. However, when I go to that setting it doesn't do a **** thing.

- I was going to purchase the FRPP lowering kit, 1", but since I never really lowered a car before I'm unsure what else I would need. How much rougher is the ride for dropping it just one more inch?

I just got the car yesterday so those are the only things I could come up with as of now. Love the freaking car.
Old 9/15/10, 07:52 AM
GT Member

For the headlights, the far right option is Auto-on. Turn the switch to that and don't worry about turning your headlights on and off anymore. It's the "EASY" button. hah

A lot of people having been using the FRPP springs on stock shocks/struts. Some people say an adjustable panhard bar is needed, some don't.

I recently ordered the FRPP "K" Springs, but I'm waiting til after install to see if the rearend is too far off center before anything else is ordered.

Last edited by jetlag; 9/15/10 at 07:53 AM.
Old 9/15/10, 07:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do only the 2011's have 2 levels? I don't recall seeing two lights on my 2010 ...

Mine is like this I beleive ... also from Ford Mustang website ...

Last edited by dmhines; 9/15/10 at 08:00 AM.
Old 9/15/10, 08:12 AM
Banned

Yeah, mine looks like that also. But I pulled up the one from 2011 on the site, and that's the link I posted. Weird. How's your heat?

Also, which fuel should I use? Book says 87 is fine, but for optimal 412hp usage to go with 91 octane. I could really care less for losing 12hp if I save 1k over 5 years using 87 vs 91 or higher.

Originally Posted by dmhines
Do only the 2011's have 2 levels? I don't recall seeing two lights on my 2010 ...

Mine is like this I beleive ... also from Ford Mustang website ...

Old 9/15/10, 08:25 AM

Re: Fuel grade: It'll run just fine on either, but as you mention, you will give up some power, probably across the board (not just peak numbers) to save some pennies. You're call, of course, but seems to be kind of bass ackwards to spend all that money for a 5.0 Mustang and then get all stingy at the pump. Kind of goes against the whole point of the car, IMHO, but it's your dime, so your call.
Old 9/15/10, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

There's only On/Off on the heated seats, not two modes of operation, the pic is a bit inaccurate sadly. The headlights is the auto-lamps yeah, and they do pretty well at taking care of everything, even if it's raining. There's an option in Setup that let you choose the amount of delay before it turns on (or off) the headlamps. Dunno about springs much, but as for gas it can use 87 octane no problem, it will adjust the spark timing to prevent knocking. 91 is just what Ford used to get the publicized performance numbers, so it's kind of a mandatory disclaimer, telling you that you won't get the full 412/390 with 87 octane.
Old 9/15/10, 08:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Seems like I recall the cars with the dual-zone climate control thingy have two-stage seat heaters. The one stage works fine IMO.
Old 9/15/10, 08:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Yeah, mine looks like that also. But I pulled up the one from 2011 on the site, and that's the link I posted. Weird. How's your heat?

Also, which fuel should I use? Book says 87 is fine, but for optimal 412hp usage to go with 91 octane. I could really care less for losing 12hp if I save 1k over 5 years using 87 vs 91 or higher.
odd you would buy a performance car and fret over paying .10-.15 a gallon more to run the ideal octane....
Old 9/15/10, 08:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is the heated seats with EP. No dual lights ...

Old 9/15/10, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

My memory ain't what it used to be...
Old 9/15/10, 08:56 AM
Banned

It seems a bit odd yes...However, if I never get to fully utilize the power (I live in a city, with a cop on every corner) it seems useless. Per my calculations over 5 years it's about $750 in difference between high end/low end. If the engine is fine with 87, there isn't really need for higher octane. It just seems like a waste IMO.

Originally Posted by todd03blown
odd you would buy a performance car and fret over paying .10-.15 a gallon more to run the ideal octane....
Old 9/15/10, 08:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The Comfort Package in 2010 showed a picture of a HOMELINK mirror (which it didn't have) ... now they replaced it with a different picture showing the dual setting heated seats (which is doesn't have) ... now that is funny!
Old 9/15/10, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

It seems a bit odd yes...However, if I never get to fully utilize the power (I live in a city, with a cop on every corner) it seems useless. Per my calculations over 5 years it's about $750 in difference between high end/low end. If the engine is fine with 87, there isn't really need for higher octane. It just seems like a waste IMO.
Besides, you still have the option to go 91 or 93 whenever you feel like. If you ever get out of the city or go to a track, it's just a refill away (assuming you wait to burn the majority of gas out of it first). Might be interesting to see if you really notice a difference.

And yeah, it's the same on dual-zone, only one setting for heated seats unfortunately.
Old 9/15/10, 09:09 AM
Cobra Member

Understand buddy
Old 9/15/10, 09:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

I throw 93 in mine for giggles, but I've got a few open highways around. Sure there are cops everywhere, but the Mustang is a vehicle of acceleration more so than top speed. Going from 0 to Speed Limit 65 is fun, although a bit disappointing when you realize you shouldn't be going any faster and you haven't even hit the red line in 3rd.
Old 9/15/10, 09:13 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts

My V-6 is like this. No dual stage heat for the seats that i can find. I noticed my heated seats doesn't get as hot as on the car i traded in for my Mustang. They feel fine to me because i only use this feature a few times a year. If it gets too cold, i have the remote start LOL!!! Maybe the heat is lower to keep the leather from drying out?
Old 9/15/10, 09:40 AM

If the engine is fine with 87, there isn't really need for higher octane. It just seems like a waste IMO.
Sounds more like an argument for the V6, which would really save you a lot of money, rather than scrimping on feeding the 5.0 it's proper food.

Of course, the 5.0 and even arguably the 3.7 make far more power than anyone "needs" on the street. Indeed, the whole point of the Mustang has little to do with rational need in the first place, which is why I find the penny-pinching 87-octane argument a bit of an odd fixation among some. But, as mentioned, when the need for speed does strike, pulling up another few feet to the 93 octane pump will put all 412 horses into the harness.

Last edited by rhumb; 9/15/10 at 09:44 AM.
Old 9/15/10, 05:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by David Young
My V-6 is like this. No dual stage heat for the seats that i can find. I noticed my heated seats doesn't get as hot as on the car i traded in for my Mustang. They feel fine to me because i only use this feature a few times a year. If it gets too cold, i have the remote start LOL!!! Maybe the heat is lower to keep the leather from drying out?
It isn't for the good of the leather. I have leather heated seats in my '11 GT, and also leather heated seats in my '11 Escape. The Escape seats get much warmer than those in the 'stang (both are single stage). Maybe Ford figures we won't be using the car much in cold weather....in my case, that would probably be right.
Old 9/15/10, 05:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

My friends Sporttrac heated leather seats get uncomfortably hot. The mustangs do not.
Old 9/15/10, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by CG205
The Escape seats get much warmer than those in the 'stang
In mine too, these Escape leather seats get as hot as my Kitchen Aid glass cooktop electric range.

Quick Reply: Just got a new 2011 GT. Few questions please