Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Jackpoint Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/15, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Jackpoint Jack Stands

Like many other people on the site I was perplexed where to put jack stands to work on the car. Jack from pumpkin, don't jack from pumpkin, put stands here, don't put them there. Use wood, don't use wood. Also whenever I used jack stands on previous cars they always seemed to get in the way. I saw these on an episode of Jay Lenos garage and knew they were the answer. Jackpoint Jack Stands. Consists of a disc and collar. Disc goes on Floor jack. The disc fits onto the pinch weld at the factory jacking points. Lift car up, slide collar around jack and lower disc onto collar. Car is on the stands and 100% secure. Much more so than regular jack stands. At $299 they are real expensive but after using them are worth every penny. They are a solid casting unlike regular jack stands.

I know there will be a ton of people going $299 for jack stands are you crazy. Check them out on youtube. Watch them on Jay Lenos garage. After using them I can say they are worth every penny. Will be getting a 2nd set so I can get entire car off the ground. Also just a note for people that have it, these clear the boss side pipes no problem.

http://jackpointjackstands.com/

http://shop.jackpointjackstands.com/

image hosting

how to do a screenshot on a pc

adult image

Last edited by imeyers302; 4/26/15 at 06:54 AM.
Old 4/26/15, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
THAT is awesome! I got to get me a set of those!
Old 4/26/15, 07:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
They look like a quality part, but the downside to them is they look like they only have one height.
Old 4/26/15, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
They look like a quality part, but the downside to them is they look like they only have one height.
They are a fixed height, however they bring car up as high as normal jack stands would and you can buy additional discs which stack on top to add height if you want car higher. Even changing a tire is easier. Just use floor jack and disc and lift from factory jack point.
Old 4/26/15, 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
THAT is awesome! I got to get me a set of those!
There are different discs for different cars. If you order make sure you order with same disc that is in my picture.
Old 4/26/15, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Those are nice and look to be well made. I'll be one of those guys $299 for jack stands, and $600 for a set, are you crazy?? You would have to be Jay Leno to afford them.
Old 4/26/15, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Those are indeed nice.

However, I frequently use my 2 ton jack stands on the pinch welds as you would the jack. Never had a problem with that. You jack the car up on the regular jack points, and then you slide the jack stand as close to the jack as possible, lower it. Done. Stable and fine, never an issue. As good as a lift in the same places.

IF I come into a ton of money, I'll buy these. But I can't, that's mod money.
Old 4/26/15, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Those are indeed nice.

However, I frequently use my 2 ton jack stands on the pinch welds as you would the jack. Never had a problem with that. You jack the car up on the regular jack points, and then you slide the jack stand as close to the jack as possible, lower it. Done. Stable and fine, never an issue. As good as a lift in the same places.

IF I come into a ton of money, I'll buy these. But I can't, that's mod money.
Do a google search for "jack stand failure". $299 for two or even $600 for four is a small price to pay to know they won't fail like normal ones can. They are solid cast pieces with a much larger footprint on the ground than ordinary jack stands. Tests have been done to over 10,000lbs without failure. I understand the mod money thing believe me. Wanted a steeda rear x brace and got these instead. I am not rich. Just don't ever want to have an issue when I am laying under the car. Small price to pay and they will last for life. I know which one I would rather work under.

image hosting no registration

upload picture

image share

Last edited by imeyers302; 4/26/15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 4/26/15, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Question, what happens if you dont use that type of jack point? Ive jacked the car a few times without that special attachment.
Old 4/26/15, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Question, what happens if you dont use that type of jack point? Ive jacked the car a few times without that special attachment.
Nothing as long as you don't jack from the wrong place.
Old 4/26/15, 04:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where do you guys lift to get all 4 wheels off the ground?
Old 4/26/15, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Enfynet
Where do you guys lift to get all 4 wheels off the ground?
Center of differential in back and center of cross member in front. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks here who will tell you how wrong or bad that is but my car is three years old, has been jacked more times than I can count and nothing is bent and recent 4 wheel alignment says everythings good to go.

John
Old 4/26/15, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
As long as it's stable, doesn't bend, anywhere on the car is technically a good jacking point. Axle center, axle near ends, pinch welds front, back, and even center, hard mount points for any suspension location...

As with any jacking, using stands, or ramps, *always be safest you can be*. 1.5 - 2 tons is nothing to mess around with when it's not on the wheels. And CHOCK THE WHEELS. Rolling off a jack is not fun.

---

In regards to the 'jack stand failure' Googlin'... I did. there's plenty of doom and gloom. But not nearly as much as you'd think, IMO. There's also jack failure, and all kinds of things. Heck, I had a scissors jack fail me and the car rolled... **** near lost a finger. Did loose some skin. It grew back, though.. Fingertips are interesting like that.

Point is... the car, whenever it's in the air, is out to kill you. Or at least, you should consider it is, anyway.

Now, as to MY jack stands... I don't buy junk. The stuff that fails is the cheapest crap out there, and you should prepare to die every time you use it. The riveted 1.5 ton sheet metal tri stands, for one. Horrid.

Solid, heavy metal, hopefully not Chinese steel ('cause it's just not as good, the impurities in it), and oh yes, if it's old... TIME FOR A NEW SET.

I replace mine every few years. If they look tired... they are. They're cheap to acquire good ones, so DO IT.

You all do what you want to, just be safe... and if you don't feel safe? You aren't. Fix it.

Last edited by houtex; 4/26/15 at 06:39 PM.
Old 4/27/15, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These do look really nice and sturdy. I wish they went up a little higher than 12" without the spacer since I am a little thick in the middle. I really do think I would feel safe with those under my car though. I have been looking at the quickjack lately but I am not sure how reliable the locking mechanism is for a long term project with the wheels off.

http://www.quickjack.com/
Old 4/27/15, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
If you're truly paranoid nothing beats wheel cribs. Unless you need to take the wheels off, then you're screwed.

+1 on the chocks.

Another approach is to use jack stands, but back them up with a solid object (some people use the wheel) that is taller than your height lying down, which the car would land on if the stand fails. I would imagine a suitable height block could be created with plywood or 2x4 layers.
Old 4/27/15, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
As long as it's stable, doesn't bend, anywhere on the car is technically a good jacking point. Axle center, axle near ends, pinch welds front, back, and even center, hard mount points for any suspension location... As with any jacking, using stands, or ramps, *always be safest you can be*. 1.5 - 2 tons is nothing to mess around with when it's not on the wheels. And CHOCK THE WHEELS. Rolling off a jack is not fun. --- In regards to the 'jack stand failure' Googlin'... I did. there's plenty of doom and gloom. But not nearly as much as you'd think, IMO. There's also jack failure, and all kinds of things. Heck, I had a scissors jack fail me and the car rolled... **** near lost a finger. Did loose some skin. It grew back, though.. Fingertips are interesting like that. Point is... the car, whenever it's in the air, is out to kill you. Or at least, you should consider it is, anyway. Now, as to MY jack stands... I don't buy junk. The stuff that fails is the cheapest crap out there, and you should prepare to die every time you use it. The riveted 1.5 ton sheet metal tri stands, for one. Horrid. Solid, heavy metal, hopefully not Chinese steel ('cause it's just not as good, the impurities in it), and oh yes, if it's old... TIME FOR A NEW SET. I replace mine every few years. If they look tired... they are. They're cheap to acquire good ones, so DO IT. You all do what you want to, just be safe... and if you don't feel safe? You aren't. Fix it.
Like everything you said except tossing jack stands every few years. I have a set of Lincoln jack stands that I purchased 25 years ago and they can take the Pepsi challenge to any stands I have seen out there. I work in the industry and have never seen a shop toss jack stands due to age. As long as you don't abuse them, as in throw them across the shop or something they should last a lifetime.

Now aluminum on the other hand will fatigue and there is no way to predict when aluminum will fail. Steel however can last a lifetime.
Old 4/27/15, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Awesome idea, but for those prices I will stick with my jack stands.
Old 4/28/15, 06:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Awesome concept. They are expensive imo. Agree with the statement about putting a secondary safety measure in there like the tire under the car. I find jack stands almost always get in the way but they are a must.
Old 4/28/15, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Those are pretty awesome. Wow. Christmas list!
Old 4/29/15, 07:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
isn't it bad on the frame to lift the car one corner at a time? I just don't see how that doesn't put a lot of stress on the frame. That's why I lift with the crossmember in the front. Total pain in the *** though...have to drive up ramps, get a jack and jack it higher than the ramps, remove ramps, then remove wheels (if necessary)

Last edited by Coyote5-0; 4/29/15 at 07:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Jackpoint Jack Stands