2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

iPhone music in my base '13?

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/13, 11:15 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iPhone music in my base '13?

First, yes, I know the base '13 comes with an aux input in the center console, behind the cup holders. Are there any other forms of input where my iPhone can play music throughout the car? I've read the manual, and I don't think mine came with a USB jack or a second aux input. Also, is there a way I can buy something to add a second aux input, or maybe "move" the one to the dash somehow?

Second, what do you guys suggest I should do -- here's my dilemna (if there are no other inputs besides the one mentioned above). I change my music all the time and usually have alot of things in my center console. Since the aux input is in the center console and not on the dash (which is dumb imo), I put my iPhone in the cup holders so I can easily change the song when I want to, which means the center console is constantly open and moves back and forth with brake/acceleration. Is there a way to fish the wire from the center console to the cup holders, or maybe drill a small hole, or something like that? What do you guys think I should do? Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Old 6/4/13, 11:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I recently played music from my Android phone through the car's stereo using a Bluetooth connection. Don't know if you've got that. I am able to feed the charging cable from the center console to the cup holder area by placing it in the low area of the console.
Old 6/4/13, 11:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
I recently played music from my Android phone through the car's stereo using a Bluetooth connection. Don't know if you've got that. I am able to feed the charging cable from the center console to the cup holder area by placing it in the low area of the console.
I appreciate the response. No, I don't have bluetooth. About your cable from the center console to the cup holder, doesn't the wire get in the way from you closing the center console? -- Which means both the center console and the cup holders need to be open. I'm trying to find a way around having the center console open (a way for the wire to fit just nicely for it to close without damaging the wire).
Old 6/4/13, 11:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Doiz
I appreciate the response. No, I don't have bluetooth. About your cable from the center console to the cup holder, doesn't the wire get in the way from you closing the center console? -- Which means both the center console and the cup holders need to be open. I'm trying to find a way around having the center console open (a way for the wire to fit just nicely for it to close without damaging the wire).
The cup holder has to be open, but I have been able to close the center console. I'll try to get a photo.
Without Bluetooth you have to control everything but volume with your phone. That can be hazardous.
Old 6/4/13, 11:44 PM
V6 Member

The cup holder has to be open, but I have been able to close the center console. I'll try to get a photo.
Without Bluetooth you have to control everything but volume with your phone. That can be hazardous.
Let me clarify. I CAN close the center console with the wire coming out of it and into the cup holders, but it'll eventually damage the wire because it is very tight. I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the inside the center console forward to the cup holders, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I probably won't do that.
Old 6/5/13, 08:22 AM
GT Member

All charging wires are cheap as dirt on ebay... I can close mine in top of my iphone charging cable but there is a little indention in the console u may be able to route your cable through. I would hold off on the drilling :/ but thats just me
Old 6/5/13, 08:29 AM
GT Member

First, yes, I know the base '13 comes with an aux input in the center console, behind the cup holders. Are there any other forms of input where my iPhone can play music throughout the car? I've read the manual, and I don't think mine came with a USB jack or a second aux input. Also, is there a way I can buy something to add a second aux input, or maybe "move" the one to the dash somehow?

Second, what do you guys suggest I should do -- here's my dilemna (if there are no other inputs besides the one mentioned above). I change my music all the time and usually have alot of things in my center console. Since the aux input is in the center console and not on the dash (which is dumb imo), I put my iPhone in the cup holders so I can easily change the song when I want to, which means the center console is constantly open and moves back and forth with brake/acceleration. Is there a way to fish the wire from the center console to the cup holders, or maybe drill a small hole, or something like that? What do you guys think I should do? Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Isn't their a slight recession on the side of the console that you can put the wire in when you close the console? Or do you already use that and still think it's tight?
Old 6/5/13, 08:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by NakedCat
Isn't their a slight recession on the side of the console that you can put the wire in when you close the console? Or do you already use that and still think it's tight?
There is (on the passenger's side) and I have used that spot, but it is not easy to get the cable in the right location. I suppose you could tape the cable to the inside of the console just below that indentation. I'd really like to be able to route the cable forward into the cup holder area and STILL be able to close the cup holder so the cable is not visible when I park the car.
Old 6/5/13, 10:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have SYNC, but I use my USB in the console so i can charge my phone at the same time. I have a dedicated cable I leave there. The wire is tight when you open and close the console. But I've been doing this for a year now and have no visible damage to the cable. Also I know on the SYNC cars there is a second USB behind the glove box. Does your car have a USB in the console?
Old 6/5/13, 01:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by conv_stang
I have SYNC, but I use my USB in the console so i can charge my phone at the same time. I have a dedicated cable I leave there. The wire is tight when you open and close the console. But I've been doing this for a year now and have no visible damage to the cable. Also I know on the SYNC cars there is a second USB behind the glove box. Does your car have a USB in the console?
I don't have any USB's in mine, nor do I have SYNC or Bluetooth.
Old 6/5/13, 01:15 PM
V6 Member

There is (on the passenger's side) and I have used that spot, but it is not easy to get the cable in the right location. I suppose you could tape the cable to the inside of the console just below that indentation. I'd really like to be able to route the cable forward into the cup holder area and STILL be able to close the cup holder so the cable is not visible when I park the car.
Yes, this is exactly what I'd like to do, as well as close the center console. I just wish the aux port was in the dash.
Old 6/5/13, 01:23 PM

I have a 2005. Ended up putting in an alpine it works great navigation Bluetooth Sirius. I love it
Old 6/5/13, 01:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't have any USB's in mine, nor do I have SYNC or Bluetooth.
Ok. Knew you didn't have SYNC and Bluetooth. Didn't know if the non SYNC still had USB.
Old 6/5/13, 01:58 PM
GT Member

Get one of these and plug it in permanently to your aux jack. Gives you a Bluetooth interface, that's all you need.

Works really well.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 6/5/13, 02:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by hellogreg
Get one of these and plug it in permanently to your aux jack. Gives you a Bluetooth interface, that's all you need.

Works really well.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Do you have this kit? Is the sound 1080p HD quality? Is there any downsides with it?
Old 6/5/13, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I got this from Best Buy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00727FE5U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001EBE1LI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0574MZRR2CERBM01NH1P http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00727FE5U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001EBE1LI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0574MZRR2CERBM01NH1P
Look at the customer photos for size (slightly bigger than a quarter in width).

Same item but mine is for automotive use. It came with a seperate charger that plugs into the 12v outlet in the center column. I always leave both plugged in (you can use the adapter without the power, it has an internal battery that charges). I just tied back some of the wires and mounted it inside the center column with some doublesided velcro tape close enough so that the small plug you see can go into the headphone jack in the center column. Find it and pair it in the bluetooth setting on your phone. You then just hit the aux button and play.

Only downfall I see is occasionally having to turn the antenna back on after taking my ipod far from the car. It stays connected for a set amound of feet then if it has no connection for a set period, turns off to save power. Sounds really good, and give you an audible alert when you turn it on and off and when the battery is low.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 6/5/13 at 06:51 PM.
Old 6/5/13, 04:36 PM
GT Member

Do you have this kit? Is the sound 1080p HD quality? Is there any downsides with it?
What do you mean? Your question doesn't make sense.
If you're asking how good the sound quality is, then yes it will sound very good.
I don't have it but I helped a friend install it in his car.
Old 6/5/13, 06:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
I got this from Best Buy:

http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...6YQQSY3Z1V2SF1 Look at the customer photos for size (slightly bigger than a quarter in width).

Same item but mine is for automotive use. It came with a seperate charger that plugs into the 12v outlet in the center column. I always leave both plugged in (you can use the adapter without the power, it has an internal battery that charges). I just tied back some of the wires and mounted it inside the center column with some doublesided velcro tape close enough so that the small plug you see can go into the headphone jack in the center column. Find it and pair it in the bluetooth setting on your phone. You then just hit the aux button and play.

Only downfall I see is occasionally having to turn the antenna back on after taking my ipod far from the car. It stays connected for a set amound of feet then if it has no connection for a set period, turns off to save power. Sounds really good, and give you an audible alert when you turn it on and off and when the battery is low.
That link is broken for me, can you write in text the product name? Thanks.
Old 6/5/13, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GOgroove BlueGate Bluetooth Adapter Wireless Receiver

Fixed the link as well, sorry bout that...
Old 6/5/13, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

I found it!!!

I don't know if other years are the same as my 2014, so this may not work for you. Mine has the power plug fairly high up on the passenger side of the center console. There is a dummy plug that you have to unplug to insert your power plug. I searched around with my finger and found that there is hole at the top front of the center console, just above the dummy plug. I was able to slip my mini USB cable end through that hole and, with the cup holder lid partially closed, I fished the end of the cable into the cup holder area. I can still close the cup holder with no problem and, when I open it, it puts much less pressure on the cable than the center console does.

Quick Reply: iPhone music in my base '13?