Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Interesting Article on Next Gen Stang...

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/06, 07:36 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer
2010.. reskin... completely new looking car... end of story.
Not just front bumper/rear bumper.
Not that our car looks old..but after 5 years...its gonna start to look..not dated, but.. like a change is in order.
If you're referring to my comment, I was saying that there was NOT going to be any significant sheet metal changes for 2009 (1 year production run) as the article implied.

I agree that 2010 MY will have major sheet metal changes.
Old 11/16/06, 06:18 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
not pointed at you, just all the articles and people saying there will be significant changes etc for 1 year. or that there will be a front/rear change for 09-11MYears..and 2012 being the reskin.

From what we understand that was old info...
Old 11/16/06, 09:05 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,604 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
I'm rather surprised that the D2C platform ONLY has the Mustang to support, and perhaps that might make a reshuffling a bit more likely. Yeah, the time frames mentioned in the German article do seem quite tight for anything but the most skin deep changes, though the '67-'68, '69-'70' and '71-'73 Stangs, each with fairly substantial redos, indicate that is not impossible (presuming an early release (midyear '08) of the '09 model and a late release of the '10 (though an '11 sounds more plausible). But that was a long time ago and development costs are far higher now, hence Ford holding on to models for eons now.

Two factors may be driving this quickstep shuffle:
* Get away from the one model D2C platform and put the Stang on a shared platform for greater economies of scale, shared development costs, etc.
* New competition from the Challenger and Camaro -- Ford's going to have to upgrade the Stang to meet and beat the new challengers in terms of content (drivetrain and suspension), styling and content. A cheap and easy facelift likely wouldn't be nearly enough.

Anyways, interesting and maybe a sign that Ford is getting more fire in the belly and bolder.
Why get away from the D2C platform for ? when it's only been in existence for 2 years ? that doesn't make any logical sense at all..Although I realize the Lincoln LS and T-Bird are no longer in production ? the D2C platform is still being shared with the Jaguar S coupe or is it sedan ? and If I'm not mistaken ? isn't the new Lincoln sedan that recently took the place of the LS also based upon the D2C platform as well ?? and if so ? how is the D2C platform based only upon the Mustang as you stated
Old 11/16/06, 10:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is Already There!

All these pics and ideas for the new 2010 Mustang make me realize that that is what my baby looks like already. '07 with Fanblades and spoiler delete. Streamlined and modern (fanblades), clean and cool. There's still the retro element but very understated without the extra lines of a spoiler, scoops, etc.
I finally got her up to 110 mph driving to the desrt here outside a LA. This car flys like the condorde when you get above 100, which is not often.
Thanks, Frank
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Article on Next Gen Stang...-ref.stang.jpg  
Old 11/17/06, 11:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Why get away from the D2C platform for ? when it's only been in existence for 2 years ? that doesn't make any logical sense at all..Although I realize the Lincoln LS and T-Bird are no longer in production ? the D2C platform is still being shared with the Jaguar S coupe or is it sedan ? and If I'm not mistaken ? isn't the new Lincoln sedan that recently took the place of the LS also based upon the D2C platform as well ?? and if so ? how is the D2C platform based only upon the Mustang as you stated
Lincoln LS, T-bird, and S-type use the DEW98 platform, not the D2C.
Old 11/17/06, 02:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
looks too "euro" for me.....Looks like it was drawn by the same guy who drew the current GTO.
Old 11/17/06, 05:33 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

S-type does NOT use D2C. It still uses the D/EW-98 and will use and updated version of D/EW-98 in it's next version.

If you are referring to the Zephyr / MKZ, it shares the same platform as the Fusion & Milan which is a FWD-AWD platform derrived from the Mazda 6. This platform is also the basis for the Edge & MKX.

The next Lincoln car will be the MKS which is going to be based on the updated 500/Montego platform (FWD/AWD) which came from Volvo.

Currently the Mustang is the ONLY vehicle that uses the D2C platform.
Old 11/18/06, 12:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

There seems to be an awful lot of "future Mustang on the Australian Falcon platform" talk on this site of late, with the implication obviously being that a new rwd plaform is in the works by Ford/Oz which will underpin both. Realistically, given Ford's current situation, this doesn't seem especially likely and, put very plainly, doesn't make a whole lot of sense given that the existing Mustang platform is one of the fresher and better executed platforms in the company inventory.

Don't get me wrong, as I like the Aussie Falcon as much as the next guy, but I think the fascination with the same has likely got a lot more to do with the obvious fascination some guys have with any Ford NIH than actual superiority to NA product.Yes the guys down under have done a fantastic job with an old platform, but given the availability and flexiblity of D2C I can't think of a single good reason to run to the Aussie's for a new platform to replace the perfectly good, and relatively new, platform you already have.

A small list of reasons why I have no idea where the fascination with replacing D2C with something from Oz comes from.

1: D2C was designed to be more flexible than the DEW98 platform, a platform which could accomodate no small range of vehicles for that matter. This indicates that D2C can easily accomodate vehicles of the Falcon's size and then some.

2: D2C is, according to Ford, very inexpensive to produce.

3: D2C was originally intended to house an IRS, and in light of the fact that Ford seems unlikely to have throw those plans away, can almost certainly be modified to accept one pretty easily anytime Ford sees fit to install one.

4: D2C is fundamentally very sound, providing superb rigidity and good dynamic properties in general for the dollar.

I simply cannot think of any reasons which aren't pretty contrived in nature for Ford to start over here..especially given their cash-strapped condition.
Old 11/18/06, 04:34 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
1: D2C was designed to be more flexible than the DEW98 platform, a platform which could accomodate no small range of vehicles for that matter. This indicates that D2C can easily accomodate vehicles of the Falcon's size and then some.
Where are you getting your info from?

D2C is not flexible at all, cannot be used for 4 door vehicles, can't be stretched.
To make D2C Ford took the more flexible (but much more expensive D/EW-98) and cost reduced it to the point where it can't be used for anything but a Mustang like vehicle.
Old 11/19/06, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by V10
S-type does NOT use D2C. It still uses the D/EW-98 and will use and updated version of D/EW-98 in it's next version.

If you are referring to the Zephyr / MKZ, it shares the same platform as the Fusion & Milan which is a FWD-AWD platform derrived from the Mazda 6. This platform is also the basis for the Edge & MKX.

The next Lincoln car will be the MKS which is going to be based on the updated 500/Montego platform (FWD/AWD) which came from Volvo.

Currently the Mustang is the ONLY vehicle that uses the D2C platform.
My mistake for using the wrong choice of wording, I assumed that when Ford designed the D2C platform ? it took part of the DEW-98 with it so I guess that's where my signals got crossed..But you did confirm when you mentioned To make D2C Ford took the more flexible (but much more expensive D/EW-98) so in that respect ? would not the D2C still be considered as part of the DEW-98 ? despite Ford's D2C cost reduction ? Look the bottom line is none of us are able to speculate one way or the other about the future of D2C at this time ? However I'm hopeful that Ford will have future plans for the D2C other than the Mustang, especially with the huge success that it's currently having with the Stang and it just wouldn't make any logical sense as to why Ford would abandon a very successful platform that's only been in existence for 2 years ? and I'm sure that if it should become necessary ? the engineers over at Ford are very capable of updating the D2C so that it can be used for vehicles other than the Mustang ? and besides, just how old is this aussie/falcon platform anyhow ?? if it's older than D2C ? wouldn't that be considered as taking a step backwards ?
Old 11/19/06, 08:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 11/20/06, 04:32 AM

And just what in the hell is that supposed to mean ?? if you have a problem with my post ? either contribute an actual opinion one way or the other..Otherwise don't bother posting anything at all..
Old 11/20/06, 04:43 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

My mistake for using the wrong choice of wording, I assumed that when Ford designed the D2C platform ? it took part of the DEW-98 with it so I guess that's where my signals got crossed..But you did confirm when you mentioned To make D2C Ford took the more flexible (but much more expensive D/EW-98) so in that respect ? would not the D2C still be considered as part of the DEW-98 ? despite Ford's D2C cost reduction ? Look the bottom line is none of us are able to speculate one way or the other about the future of D2C at this time ? However I'm hopeful that Ford will have future plans for the D2C other than the Mustang, especially with the huge success that it's currently having with the Stang and it just wouldn't make any logical sense as to why Ford would abandon a very successful platform that's only been in existence for 2 years ? and I'm sure that if it should become necessary ? the engineers over at Ford are very capable of updating the D2C so that it can be used for vehicles other than the Mustang ? and besides, just how old is this aussie/falcon platform anyhow ?? if it's older than D2C ? wouldn't that be considered as taking a step backwards ?
D2C actually shares very little with D/EW-98.
If you've seen photos of the floor pans you'll see they're very similar.
D2C also got the D/EW-98 2 piece drive shaft with flanges instead of U joints and the saddle fuel tank under the rear seat that straddles the driveshaft and requires a 2nd fuel pump to feed fuel between the 2 sides of the tank.

But beyond that D2C doesn't have much in common with D/EW-98.

Believe it or not the Aussie Falcon platform actually dates back to the 1960 Ford USA Falcon. It's been continually updated & improved but is really sort of a relic.
Old 11/20/06, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by V10
D2C also got the D/EW-98 2 piece drive shaft with flanges instead of U joints and the saddle fuel tank under the rear seat that straddles the driveshaft and requires a 2nd fuel pump to feed fuel between the 2 sides of the tank.

Believe it or not the Aussie Falcon platform actually dates back to the 1960 Ford USA Falcon. It's been continually updated & improved but is really sort of a relic.
Sure I believe it ? just like in comparison with the Fox platform which was also updated and improved through out it's generation..However after 25 years ? the Fox platform also ended up becoming a relic as well..Therefore it would be such a huge step backwards if Ford abandoned the highly fresh and still very young D2C platform in favor of yet another outdated platform that in reality is going on 46 years old.. As I previously mentioned ? I'm sure the engineers over at Ford are very capable of modifying the D2C platform for vehicles other than just the Mustang..?
Old 11/20/06, 09:49 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by V10

Dang, and I thought the Fox platform was old!
Old 11/20/06, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by hi5.0
Dang, and I thought the Fox platform was old!
Doesn't the Panther platform date back to '60s as well?
Old 11/20/06, 10:03 PM

Until V10 brought to light about the 46 year old aussie/falcon platform ? that's what I thought too..
Old 11/22/06, 04:15 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Doesn't the Panther platform date back to '60s as well?
Officially the Panther platform was developed in the late 70s.

But to me all the Panther looks like is a cheapened version of the 1972 Torino platform which was not much more than a 1965 Ford LTD platform, that substituted a 4 link rear suspension for the Panhard bar rear suspension the 65 LTD had.

Funny how the incredible improvement in the 2005 Mustang rear suspension accomplished by using a design similar to the 1965 Ford LTD.
Old 11/22/06, 04:21 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

As I previously mentioned ? I'm sure the engineers over at Ford are very capable of modifying the D2C platform for vehicles other than just the Mustang..?
On the other hand D2C may have become so specialized and hard to modify that it might be lower cost to start with a different platform for other vehicles like RWD 4 door sedans.

When the 05 Mustang was introduced Ford talked about 7 to 9 vehicles that would be based off D2C. Here we are 3 years later and there are NO other vehicles using D2C and the ONLY other D2C vehicle Ford has said anything about is a possible Lincoln Coupe.

All that tells me that we won't be seeing much of anything else based off D2C.
Old 11/22/06, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by V10
On the other hand D2C may have become so specialized and hard to modify that it might be lower cost to start with a different platform for other vehicles like RWD 4 door sedans.

When the 05 Mustang was introduced Ford talked about 7 to 9 vehicles that would be based off D2C. Here we are 3 years later and there are NO other vehicles using D2C and the ONLY other D2C vehicle Ford has said anything about is a possible Lincoln Coupe.

All that tells me that we won't be seeing much of anything else based off D2C.
Perhaps the reason for no other plans at this point ? is because of Ford's current financial mess..I know it's been 3 years but if their original plans were to build 7 to 9 vehicles based off D2C ? plus the addition of a Lincoln Coupe ? then I'm hopeful Ford will still follow through..I'd would just give them the time they need to recover from all this and then wait to find out what's in store..

Quick Reply: Interesting Article on Next Gen Stang...