Installed: Koni Sports, Brembo brakes, Brembo + 55D - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Go Back  The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2010-2014 Mustang
Installed: Koni Sports, Brembo brakes, Brembo + 55D >

Installed: Koni Sports, Brembo brakes, Brembo + 55D

Notices
2010-2014 Mustang News on the Previous Generation Mustang

Installed: Koni Sports, Brembo brakes, Brembo + 55D

Reply

 
 
 
Old 7/3/13, 11:08 PM
  #1  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: July 26, 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 724
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Installed: Koni Sports, Brembo brakes, Brembo + 55D

Installed: Koni Sports, Brembo brakes, Brembo + 55D

Took me about 5 hours, swapped the suspension from Standard GT stuff to Koni Sports with Brembo front springs and 55D, and Brembo Brake Kit (m-2300-s).

For those running Koni Sports, where are you setting the front and rears?

My initial 20-minutes test drive makes me wonder why in the world Ford didn't put betting suspension on the Mustang to begin with. The rocking, excessive movement, bouncing, are gone with this mild setup.

My goal was to not lower the car, just the rear, while getting a slightly stiffer spring under the car.
kn7671 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/4/13, 12:09 AM
  #2  
Bullitt Member
 
MadMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 20, 2008
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 325
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear you like it. I'm betting the improvement is 90% from the konis. My brembo package suspension feels pretty awful with stock brembo package shocks/struts. Gonna have to put koni sports on mine!
MadMoose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/4/13, 07:18 AM
  #3  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
dmichaels's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 14, 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 2,460
Thanked 109 Times in 100 Posts
Thanks for the quick review, I have been looking to put in Koni yellows and lower/stiffer springs, another good review helps motivate!!
dmichaels is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/4/13, 08:00 AM
  #4  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: July 26, 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 724
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everything I've tested so far has been with the Koni's on Full Soft...

Where I get on the highway everyday, this one entrance ramp has a quick rolling double rise and dip. It used to make my stock GT suspension look like I was driving a massive pile of crapola when doing any speed over 60mph, just bouncing and rebounding along. Additionally, go much more than 60mph, and it actually caused the front suspension to pop when the struts fully extended, which sounds ridiculous from a new car.

Strangely enough, my wife's Ford Flex has enough damping from the factory shocks to take the same entrance ramp at 70-80 mph without any uncontrolled suspension movements.

With these Koni's, I was able to take the same section of road at 90mph last night and the car stayed planted, no bouncing or uncontrolled movements of anykind, just handled it the way it always should, which just goes to show how bad these factory Ford struts and shocks are.

Last edited by kn7671; 7/4/13 at 08:04 AM.
kn7671 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/4/13, 09:33 AM
  #5  
bob
GTR Member
 
Join Date: May 16, 2004
Location: Newport News, Va
Posts: 5,027
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
My initial 20-minutes test drive makes me wonder why in the world Ford didn't put betting suspension on the Mustang to begin with. The rocking, excessive movement, bouncing, are gone with this mild setup.
The base GT suspension is designed for your average driver suffering from hemorrhoids using a landmine as a seat cushion or so I think anyways.

More seriously I think Ford does this for two reasons; a) to differentiate the BB cars from the base GT in terms of handling, b) most people getting a GT are probably more into the prestige of owning a V8 car and only moderately use it and want a nice compliant ride at normal speeds.

Also try changing the settings front to rear and see who it effects the balance of the car, especially when things get bumpy. Setting the front softer than the rear can reduce understeer (as an example). The FRPP dampers for the GT500 are manufactured by Tokico and it included suggestions for tuning the suspension. Did the Koni dampers include a manual? If so you might want to look through it and see what they suggest as a baseline then go from there.

Last edited by bob; 7/4/13 at 09:41 AM.
bob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/5/13, 07:48 AM
  #6  
Bullitt Member
 
mfc133's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 27, 2012
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 304
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
How does the stance look with the 55D springs? I've been thinking about picking up a set.
mfc133 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/5/13, 09:19 AM
  #7  
Cobra Member
 
typesredline's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 11, 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc133 View Post
How does the stance look with the 55D springs? I've been thinking about picking up a set.
From your profile pic you have the brembo pkg. so you already have the 55D springs.
typesredline is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/5/13, 09:50 AM
  #8  
Bullitt Member
 
mfc133's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 27, 2012
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 304
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline View Post
From your profile pic you have the brembo pkg. so you already have the 55D springs.
There's an aftermarket set of rear springs called the "55D Spring Kit" that's meant to lower the rear of a BBP car by about 1/2":
http://www.brembo50.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1200846
mfc133 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/5/13, 10:29 AM
  #9  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: July 26, 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 724
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Did the Koni dampers include a manual? If so you might want to look through it and see what they suggest as a baseline then go from there.
No, no manual to speak of for Tuning, just some very brief install and torque specs.

I did some driving and tuning of the Koni's last night, trying various settings, 1 to 1 1/4 turn up front, and 1/2 to 1 turn in the rear, but finally ended up with at only 3/8 turn up front with 1/4 turn in back.

I'm gonna drive it like this for a few days, but it cannot find the sweet spot I was hoping for, I may switch back to the stock springs with Koni's. I'm afraid the Brembo front springs and 55D rears may be too hard for my liking, getting a little harsh or rougher surfaces or quick bumps on the roads. I understand these springs are Linear, just like the standard GT springs, but I figured I would prefer Linear over Progressive to prevent the sudden harsh jolts when compressing the Progressive's quickly.
kn7671 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/6/13, 08:37 AM
  #10  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: July 26, 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 724
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmmm....

Koni Sports have fixed compression, adjustable rebound, seems that for a daily driver adjustable compression would be better.
kn7671 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/6/13, 09:02 AM
  #11  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
Join Date: May 6, 2012
Location: Crofton MD
Posts: 2,060
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What made you get the 55D springs and not the Steeda Sports?
Brandon302 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/6/13, 10:06 AM
  #12  
GT Member
 
linelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 3, 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 112
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the Koni sports and 55D rear springs on my '11 Brembo GT. I run them full soft for daily driving. Any higher setting adds a lot of harshness over the crappy local roads. As an older guy I love the ride of the car as it is now, firm but compliant.
linelock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/6/13, 10:58 AM
  #13  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: July 26, 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 724
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302 View Post
What made you get the 55D springs and not the Steeda Sports?
Did not want to lower the car in the front.
kn7671 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/6/13, 12:24 PM
  #14  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: July 26, 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 724
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decided - Selling the Koni Sports after only 3-days on the car. Anyone want to buy some 3-day used Koni Sports on Brembo front springs with 2011+ Strut Mounts, plus some 55D rear springs with Koni Sport rears? A steal at $600 + shipping.

Looking at these QA1 double adjustable fronts and rears:

http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/d...djustable.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-hd605s
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-td708
kn7671 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/6/13, 01:02 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: April 21, 2013
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My exact fear. I'm too old to be bouncing around like a kid and afraid these 'sport' springs that nail the car to the road will also nail me to it. I am replacing struts but leaving the springs as is. Im considering cutting a inch or so off the rear spring to improve rake, but I haven't run across anyone that has done it, everybody just replaces 'em...

Did you go back to stock springs? Difference?

Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Decided - Selling the Koni Sports after only 3-days on the car. Anyone want to buy some 3-day used Koni Sports on Brembo front springs with 2011+ Strut Mounts, plus some 55D rear springs with Koni Sport rears? A steal at $600 + shipping.

Looking at these QA1 double adjustable fronts and rears:

http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/d...djustable.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-hd605s
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-td708
Ledhed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/6/13, 01:58 PM
  #16  
Mach 1 Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: July 26, 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 724
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ledhed View Post
My exact fear. I'm too old to be bouncing around like a kid and afraid these 'sport' springs that nail the car to the road will also nail me to it. I am replacing struts but leaving the springs as is. Im considering cutting a inch or so off the rear spring to improve rake, but I haven't run across anyone that has done it, everybody just replaces 'em...

Did you go back to stock springs? Difference?
Back to stock springs, struts, and shocks. Ride is night and day. The only thing I don't like about the stock setup is a weak rebound setup causing the car to bounce up and higher than what would otherwise be normal.

I had bought extra strut mounts, boots, bump stops, and new springs to build an entire Koni Sport strut assembly, which makes the swap effort and time greatly reduced, and the swap back to stock that much easier.
kn7671 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/6/13, 04:58 PM
  #17  
Cobra Member
 
typesredline's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 11, 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc133 View Post

There's an aftermarket set of rear springs called the "55D Spring Kit" that's meant to lower the rear of a BBP car by about 1/2":
http://www.brembo50.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1200846
Wow. Really interesting! This has my interest now. Plan was to go with steeda sports and either koni str.t or steeda pro action shocks and struts.

But I am liking the description on brembo50.com. Slightly better handling, better look, less bounce, all while not messing with the front aka alignments, scraping on parking blocks.

Question is that on brembo shocks is it really that much better or is it appearance only? Has anyone used these with oem brembo shocks? Or should I use it for the advantages of not lowering the front and still do the koni str.t or steeda pro action shocks and struts?
typesredline is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/6/13, 07:11 PM
  #18  
Mach 1 Member
 
sakol's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 17, 2012
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 512
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Decided - Selling the Koni Sports after only 3-days on the car. Anyone want to buy some 3-day used Koni Sports on Brembo front springs with 2011+ Strut Mounts, plus some 55D rear springs with Koni Sport rears? A steal at $600 + shipping.

Looking at these QA1 double adjustable fronts and rears:

http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/d...djustable.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-hd605s
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-td708
How much would shipping be? My zip code is 90230 and would you know what total weight is?
sakol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/6/13, 08:28 PM
  #19  
GT Member
 
dusman59's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 16, 2011
Location: Mesa Arizona
Posts: 186
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline View Post

Wow. Really interesting! This has my interest now. Plan was to go with steeda sports and either koni str.t or steeda pro action shocks and struts.

But I am liking the description on brembo50.com. Slightly better handling, better look, less bounce, all while not messing with the front aka alignments, scraping on parking blocks.

Question is that on brembo shocks is it really that much better or is it appearance only? Has anyone used these with oem brembo shocks? Or should I use it for the advantages of not lowering the front and still do the koni str.t or steeda pro action shocks and struts?
I agree with what the brembo50 site claims. However I was thinking of trying the str.t struts and shocks as I have the stock ones on my brembo stang with the 1/2" lower setup. Someone posted on another site that the sports are the same as the str.t except adjustment for inbound only not rebound(the person claimed to know someone involved in the design) They are also not rebuildable. I would like to know how the inbound is on the str.r compared to the lowest setting on the sports.

Last edited by dusman59; 7/6/13 at 08:35 PM.
dusman59 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7/6/13, 08:47 PM
  #20  
Cobra R Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 22, 2012
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 1,652
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dusman59 View Post

I agree with what the brembo50 site claims. However I was thinking of trying the str.t struts and shocks as I have the stock ones on my brembo stang with the 1/2" lower setup. Someone posted on another site that the sports are the same as the str.t except adjustment for inbound only not rebound(the person claimed to know someone involved in the design) They are also not rebuildable. I would like to know how the inbound is on the str.r compared to the lowest setting on the sports.
I have the sports and was told that the strt and sports set to full soft will feel the same.
Mr. V is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed: Koni Sports, Brembo brakes, Brembo + 55D


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.