Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Installation Chronicle part deux: CFM Intake, Kooks LT Headers, Hi Flow Green H Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/15, 06:58 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Installation Chronicle part deux: CFM Intake, Kooks LT Headers, Hi Flow Green H Pipe

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on the prior thread...

Thus, I've decided on the next 3 mods for Marilyn: CFM Magnuson Intake, Kooks 1-5/8 or 1-7/8 LTH, Kooks Green Catted H Pipe, JDM Tune Revision.

This will span a few months, but I will update the thread accordingly. I plan on getting the Headers and H Pipe installed sometime in spring, after Marilyn awakens from hibernation. Therefore, over the holiday break, I'll be looking to purchase the Kooks parts...so help me find a deal if you know of any

After several discussions with major gear heads, car buddies, and tuners, we felt that the larger intake, headers, and hi flow cats would be the next best logical step for my car. Sound benefits, and of course some power increase.

I did go ahead and order my CFM Intake. I'm increasing my mass air flow (I had a type-o earlier, sorry. Stock was about 80-85mm, the new CFM is 97.8mm) so will be needing a new tune. I'll be talking with Nick at JDM to get me hooked up with a revised tune. They'll make provisions for when I get the LTH and cats installed in spring. After it's all said and done, I hope to be around 580whp, which is plenty enough for me, while still having a very conservative tune.

edit: fyi, the decision to go with these next 3 mods should have nothing to do with my thoughts on getting a 2nd toy (other thread)...still waiting on the right timing, decision on which car, etc... Marilyn's modding will CONTINUE unabated

I'll update this post, and the next few posts with pics and descriptions as they become available.

For now, something arrived in the mail!!! (Thanks Chris at CFM for the speedy delivery.)

The new intake is built very well. I'm not quite sure what the material construction is of the elbow. I thought it was ABS plastic, but thinking it's aluminum, based on feel??? The conical filter is an Air Raid piece, which is nice and big (8" height). I plan on swapping that red filter out with a blue synthamax one from Air Raid as well (you guys KNOW, I have to have matching ). Wish I could install it all now.

FYI, my Roush CAI will be up for sale soon. I'll post it on the buy/sell section. But go ahead and PM me if interested. First one to hit me up gets it. The new owner will be getting a well maintained, barely used CAI. The actual Roush filter will be unused, because I swapped to an SnB blue filter right away.

Next step, obtain JDM tune so I can run the intake...

UPDATE, 10/8/15. Successfully contacted JDM and spoke with Nick. I love the guy. So we went over the new variables, and he'll be working with Sr. for a new tune, and should be available next week sometime.

Meanwhile, I get to sit and stare at my beautiful new intake sitting on the living room floor. Yes, I will force my kids to play around it as I simply stare at it in awe. LOL kidding.

More updates to come.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/8/15 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10/7/15, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Thanks to everyone who chimed in on the prior thread...

Thus, I've decided on the next 3 mods for Marilyn: CFM Magnuson Intake, Kooks 1-5/8 or 1-7/8 LTH, Kooks Green Catted H Pipe, JDM Tune Revision.

This will span a few months, but I will update the thread accordingly. I plan on getting the Headers and H Pipe installed sometime in spring, after Marilyn awakens from hibernation. Therefore, over the holiday break, I'll be looking to purchase the Kooks parts...so help me find a deal if you know of any

After several discussions with major gear heads, car buddies, and tuners, we felt that the larger intake, headers, and hi flow cats would be the next best logical step for my car. Sound benefits, and of course some power increase.

I did go ahead and order my CFM Intake. I'm increasing my mass air flow (85mm) so will be needing a new tune. I'll be talking with Nick at JDM to get me hooked up with a revised tune. They'll make provisions for when I get the LTH and cats installed in spring. After it's all said and done, I hope to be around 580whp, which is plenty enough for me, while still having a very conservative tune.

edit: fyi, the decision to go with these next 3 mods should have nothing to do with my thoughts on getting a 2nd toy (other thread)...still waiting on the right timing, decision on which car, etc... Marilyn's modding will CONTINUE unabated

I'll update this post, and the next few posts with pics and descriptions as they become available.

For now, something arrived in the mail!!! (Thanks Chris at CFM for the speedy delivery.)

The new intake is built very well. I'm not quite sure what the material construction is of the elbow. I thought it was ABS plastic, but thinking it's aluminum, based on feel??? The conical filter is an Air Raid piece, which is nice and big (8" height). I plan on swapping that red filter out with a blue synthamax one from Air Raid as well (you guys KNOW, I have to have matching ). Wish I could install it all now.

FYI, my Roush CAI will be up for sale soon. I'll post it on the buy/sell section. But go ahead and PM me if interested. First one to hit me up gets it. The new owner will be getting a well maintained, barely used CAI. The actual Roush filter will be unused, because I swapped to an SnB blue filter right away.

Next step, obtain JDM tune so I can run the intake...
Black Friday and cyber monday had some great deals on exhaust last year. SVT had a good thread on vendor sale last year.
Also, real men do their own work their cars, lol
Old 10/7/15, 07:20 PM
I Have No Life

Reserved for updates 1

Updated: 10/14/15
UPDATE, 10/14/15. Received the following e-mail from my tuner:

Tune attached!

For:
-98mm MAF
-Provisions for headers
-More tip in response

I want to see an idle log and a cruising log before we do any WOT. You know
the routine

Let me know if you have any questions.

So... as you can imagine, I'm giddy as all hell. Can't wait to get back home to install the actual intake, then load the new tune onto the SCT, then onto the car. I'll be datalogging as well. For some reason, I really enjoy the datalogging part. After 1 or 2 iterations from them, I should really be seeing the power gains too. Will keep y'all posted shortly...

=======================================

Got the install completed and the tune uploaded! The install was obviously not a big issue. I love the fit and finish of the new intake. I had to finagle the driver side PCV hose a bit, but other than that, it was a breeze. I definitely need to get a blue Amsoil or AirRaid Synthamax filter, as the red in my engine bay has no place. The intake itself I can actually hear with my windows down. I like it.

As for the tune, I first had to flash the car back to stock (for safety reasons - in case something goes wrong with the tuner download/upload files). Then I had to update the firmware of my SCT. It's always nerve-wracking when I do that because I worry of it hanging up and having to contact SCT while I work through the issues. Luckily it went through without a hitch. Firmware was version 6 already, while I had version 1. Amazing what happens over 7 months.

Once the tune was uploaded, I went ahead and started her up and went for a short drive... once everything was warmed up, I obtained the datalogs and e-mailed it to JDM for verification. Then I can really open it up tomorrow, I hope. The new tune is definitely more "lively"... the tip in response is much improved, which I like. I could only drive it minimally, and kept the revs to about 3500 rpm max. I can't wait till they adjust more to dial it in so I can really open her up. I can't imagine when I get my Kooks LTH and cats in!!!

More updates tomorrow or later this week once I hear back from JDM.

Edit: My Roush CAI is now for sale... I'll post it up in the buy/sell section. $125 shipped. The Roush filter itself that you'll be getting is virtually brand new. I swapped it out with an S&B blue right away. Remember, this fits the stock airbox or any blower/FI that uses the stock box.

============================

UPDATED: 10/15/15

My idle and cruise were verified thumbs up. So I got the green light and verified WOT runs today, in both 2nd and 3rd. Wow, she really feels like a diff't animal. The throttle response is more immediate without being overbearing. The increased torque is also very addicting. I should be at 575ishwhp right now. I haven't been to the dyno since last year, when I was at 540. So when I get headers next spring? I should be close to 590ish, if not slightly more. Can't wait. Also the new intake allows me to hear it more too. Don't know why. Bigger opening? more air? hmmmm Either way, I love it. Thanks JDM Engineering...I love your tunes and customer service. I need to do a "cleaner" WOT 3rd gear pull for them, as I cut my run short today over lunch when a stupid car pulled out in front of an empty highway for me ugh.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/15/15 at 03:13 PM.
I Have No Life

UPDATE 10/25/15:

Order, Installed, Tested my new Amsoil Blue Dry Filter. Now my engine bay is more uniform. Amsoil filters are supposed to flow really good too... I tested her out and overall, I am just totally loving this new tune and intake. My car is totally transformed. I wish I had my headers and cats on now. Ugh.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/25/15 at 09:50 PM.
I Have No Life

Reserved for updates 3

UPDATE: 5/4/16

Yep, it was a long time coming. But it's about time I updated this thread!

Well... I did the unthinkable today. After a year or so of planning/saving, I went ahead and literally just ordered my Kooks parts [LTH's, Quad hiflow green cat/H pipe, side pipes]. Of course I did this all with the wifey's (i.e. the boss) blessing.

It's my final "big" mod - sans replacing stock internals or a new motor. Marilyn is finally complete, bolt-on wise.

Parts come in 10-15 days, so hopefully by end of the month she will be all installed.

Will keep this thread juicy with the install/post install thoughts.

==============================

UPDATE 5/12/16

Well... I'm reduced to a 7 year old once again - eager with anticipation. I'll be frequenting the UPS site because all my new exhaust parts are on their way!!! Kooks really stepped it up with basically a 1 week turn around time.

I also am in contact with my installer and it will either be Monday or Wednesday next week (weather permitting).

=====================================

UPDATE 5/13/16

Enjoyed my Friday immensely - gotta smile when your UPS guy arrives shortly after you do from work.

The overall packaging was very well done. They took care to ensure that no metal parts were in contact. I enjoyed the wrapping of the side pipes The welds were superb. That long tube header medusa head was a work of art. I'd put the quality of Kooks alongside Corsa. Excellent. I can't wait to get these babies on - Monday. More pics and vids to come.

==================================

UPDATE 5/15/16

In progress pics from my buddy. Hopefully done today, but realistically it won't be till tomorrow But I'm stoked nonetheless. He got 1 stock cat/header out so far.

================================

UPDATE 5/17/16

Getting closer.... both headers on. Bolts are back on.

=========================

UPDATE 5/20/16

I know I know... I'm WAY behind on updates. I took pics and vids and have had the car for a couple days, but I was fine tuning the setup. The wide open side pipes were insane - a little TOO insane. So we fabbed up some restrictor plates and ended up with a 3/8" opening. She's PERFECT now. Pics and vids soon.

==========================

FINAL UPDATE 5/22/16

Alright... sorry it took so long. Here's the final product. Watch the vids for some photos as well. I pasted the final few below as well. Watch the vids in full screen and select HD (sorry not 1080p - but 720p).

Enjoy.

Thanks to all who helped me out through this 8 month run. Also thanks to Jay for the install help and advice.

INSTALL CHRONICLE

TEST RUNS

And some photos from a car show yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails Installation Chronicle part deux: CFM Intake, Kooks LT Headers, Hi Flow Green H Pipe-capture.jpg  

Last edited by FromZto5; 5/22/16 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10/7/15, 07:22 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Blown CS
Black Friday and cyber monday had some great deals on exhaust last year. SVT had a good thread on vendor sale last year.
Also, real men do their own work their cars, lol
Lol... Whaddaya mean? Oh you mean the headers? I can do the H pipe and cats but man, the headers?!?!?!? Ugh. I have no lift. But maybe I can find a buddy who can help me with that. But for now, I found some reputable shops to do it. I hear ya though, everything on Marilyn I installed, but now I'm chickening out with the headers . Lol sad.
Old 10/8/15, 07:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Lol... Whaddaya mean? Oh you mean the headers? I can do the H pipe and cats but man, the headers?!?!?!? Ugh. I have no lift. But maybe I can find a buddy who can help me with that. But for now, I found some reputable shops to do it. I hear ya though, everything on Marilyn I installed, but now I'm chickening out with the headers . Lol sad.
I don't blame you, the one passenger cat nut is no joke. Id say a third of my time installing OR h pipe was fighting that nut.
Old 10/8/15, 07:52 AM
I Have No Life

I don't blame you, the one passenger cat nut is no joke. Id say a third of my time installing OR h pipe was fighting that nut.
Exactly. With my luck, I'll break a bolt or nut. I remember that nightmare when I broke a mid-pipe bolt on my 370z a few years ago. It was a definite bolt-on easy project, but it became a royal PITA because then we had to cut the bolt, sparks flying in my face, etc... it went from a 1 hour job to a 4 hour job. Ugh.

I can't imagine what header bolts would be like. I'd rather have a pro/shop do it. That would be worth a few hundred bucks of install time, imo...
Old 10/8/15, 07:54 AM
I Have No Life

UPDATE, 10/8/15. Successfully contacted JDM and spoke with Nick. I love the guy. So we went over the new variables, and he'll be working with Sr. for a new tune, and should be available next week sometime.

Meanwhile, I get to sit and stare at my beautiful new intake sitting on the living room floor. Yes, I will force my kids to play around it as I simply stare at it in awe. LOL kidding.

More updates to come.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/8/15 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10/14/15, 12:08 PM
I Have No Life

UPDATE, 10/14/15. Received the following e-mail from my tuner:

Tune attached!

For:
-98mm MAF
-Provisions for headers
-More tip in response

I want to see an idle log and a cruising log before we do any WOT. You know
the routine

Let me know if you have any questions.

So... as you can imagine, I'm giddy as all hell. Can't wait to get back home to install the actual intake, then load the new tune onto the SCT, then onto the car. I'll be datalogging as well. For some reason, I really enjoy the datalogging part. After 1 or 2 iterations from them, I should really be seeing the power gains too. Will keep y'all posted shortly...
Old 10/14/15, 10:01 PM
I Have No Life

Got the install completed and the tune uploaded! The install was obviously not a big issue. I love the fit and finish of the new intake. I had to finagle the driver side PCV hose a bit, but other than that, it was a breeze. I definitely need to get a blue Amsoil or AirRaid Synthamax filter, as the red in my engine bay has no place. The intake itself I can actually hear with my windows down. I like it.

As for the tune, I first had to flash the car back to stock (for safety reasons - in case something goes wrong with the tuner download/upload files). Then I had to update the firmware of my SCT. It's always nerve-wracking when I do that because I worry of it hanging up and having to contact SCT while I work through the issues. Luckily it went through without a hitch. Firmware was version 6 already, while I had version 1. Amazing what happens over 7 months.

Once the tune was uploaded, I went ahead and started her up and went for a short drive... once everything was warmed up, I obtained the datalogs and e-mailed it to JDM for verification. Then I can really open it up tomorrow, I hope. The new tune is definitely more "lively"... the tip in response is much improved, which I like. I could only drive it minimally, and kept the revs to about 3500 rpm max. I can't wait till they adjust more to dial it in so I can really open her up. I can't imagine when I get my Kooks LTH and cats in!!!

More updates tomorrow or later this week once I hear back from JDM.

Edit: My Roush CAI is now for sale... I'll post it up in the buy/sell section. $125 shipped. The Roush filter itself that you'll be getting is virtually brand new. I swapped it out with an S&B blue right away. Remember, this fits the stock airbox or any blower/FI that uses the stock box.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/14/15 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10/15/15, 03:11 PM
I Have No Life

My idle and cruise were verified thumbs up. So I got the green light and verified WOT runs today, in both 2nd and 3rd. Wow, she really feels like a diff't animal. The throttle response is more immediate without being overbearing. The increased torque is also very addicting. I should be at 575ishwhp right now. I haven't been to the dyno since last year, when I was at 540. So when I get headers next spring? I should be close to 590ish, if not slightly more. Can't wait. Also the new intake allows me to hear it more too. Don't know why. Bigger opening? more air? hmmmm Either way, I love it. Thanks JDM Engineering...I love your tunes and customer service. I need to do a "cleaner" WOT 3rd gear pull for them, as I cut my run short today over lunch when a stupid car pulled out in front of an empty highway for me ugh.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/15/15 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10/15/15, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nothing like a little whine with your stang and yes since its pulling in more air, it helps the supercharger scream a bit louder.
Old 10/15/15, 07:01 PM
I Have No Life

Nothing like a little whine with your stang and yes since its pulling in more air, it helps the supercharger scream a bit louder.
Thanks man! It's definitely more air! I can hear the intake and the blower more for sure. I did a couple smoother wot runs late this afternoon. It actually started to freak me out a little. I broke loose in 2nd and started to break loose in 3rd when rolling into wot...not even jabbing the throttle. I never really got squirmy like that in 3rd before.

More torque more power = addicting. Can't wait to drive her more soon. I can't imagine how it will be with my spring mod additions.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/15/15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10/16/15, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks man! It's definitely more air! I can hear the intake and the blower more for sure. I did a couple smoother wot runs late this afternoon. It actually started to freak me out a little. I broke loose in 2nd and started to break loose in 3rd when rolling into wot...not even jabbing the throttle. I never really got squirmy like that in 3rd before.

More torque more power = addicting. Can't wait to drive her more soon. I can't imagine how it will be with my spring mod additions.
Just watch it or you'll end up going through tires in one summer like I did, but it's worth it.
Old 10/25/15, 09:49 PM
I Have No Life

UPDATE 10/25/15:

Order, Installed, Tested my new Amsoil Blue Dry Filter. Now my engine bay is more uniform. Amsoil filters are supposed to flow really good too... I tested her out and overall, I am just totally loving this new tune and intake. My car is totally transformed. I wish I had my headers and cats on now. Ugh.

Old 10/26/15, 11:30 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks good.
Old 5/4/16, 11:00 AM
I Have No Life

UPDATE: 5/4/16

Yep, it was a long time coming. But it's about time I updated this thread!

Well... I did the unthinkable today. After a year or so of planning/saving, I went ahead and literally just ordered my Kooks parts [LTH's, Quad hiflow green cat/H pipe, side pipes]. Of course I did this all with the wifey's (i.e. the boss) blessing.

It's my final "big" mod - sans replacing stock internals or a new motor. Marilyn is finally complete, bolt-on wise.

Parts come in 10-15 days, so hopefully by end of the month she will be all installed.

Will keep this thread juicy with the install/post install thoughts.
Old 5/4/16, 01:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice can't wait to hear what she sounds like! You installing or having a shop do it?
Old 5/4/16, 02:34 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by rmurer
Nice can't wait to hear what she sounds like! You installing or having a shop do it?
hey Russ! This time around I think I'm having my shop buddy do it. The headers can be a royal PITA, so I don't think I would like to tackle that - esp given my insane schedule lately (work and kids), I just can't spare that much time anymore. He's pretty trust worthy (him and another guy who I trust on my car) so I would let him wrench it other than me.

I'll let you know and post vids once ready for sure!!!

Quick Reply: Installation Chronicle part deux: CFM Intake, Kooks LT Headers, Hi Flow Green H Pipe