Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Injured Pony

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/12, 04:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injured Pony

Last Saturday I was shopping at a local farmers' market. My red candy 2011 GT was parked on a side street. When I came back I was wondering about the red Golf in the middle of the road and all the people around it. I did not see anything out of the ordinary with my car until someone asked me whether this damage was new or not...

The Golf hit my car with its front tire right into my back wheel. There are only a few scratches on the bumper and rear quarter panel. Then I noticed that the wheel was no longer parallel to the side of the car. She pushed it inward and forward. The whole car got moved about a foot and hit the curb on the other side. So both wheels have some damage.

The woman's car was in somewhat worse shape. She got a flat tire from hitting my wheel and quite a few scratches. Both airbags deployed as well. This probably means that her car is worth nothing because it was an older model Golf.

The driver was totally freaked out. She was crying like there was no tomorrow. It took her at least half an hour to calm down somewhat. Ironcially she works for the bank branch of my insurance company.

Today I got a call from the adjuster. Estimate for the repair is $7,500 and 9 days of work. It is interesting how almost invisible damage can cost so much.

I have had this car for about 1 1/2 years with less than 10,000 miles on it. At least nobody got seriously injured (she at least bruised her thumb but maybe it was worse).
Attached Thumbnails Injured Pony-p1010911-1.jpg   Injured Pony-p1010912-1.jpg   Injured Pony-p1010913-1.jpg   Injured Pony-p1010914-1.jpg   Injured Pony-p1010915-1.jpg  

Injured Pony-p1010920-1.jpg  
Old 5/16/12, 04:14 PM

Ouch sad day man! Sounds like you are taking it fairly well.
Old 5/16/12, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that sucks. Was she able to explain why she hit your parked car? Just curious.
Old 5/16/12, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear the bad news
Old 5/16/12, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

weird that the bags deployed. doesn't look like that hard of a hit but then again it bent up some suspension parts on your car.
Old 5/16/12, 06:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
iszat you holding the baby?
Old 5/16/12, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear, this sucks....but it's nothing that can't be fixed.

Money can fix this garbage that life throws our way...if it annoys you too much, you can always trade her in and get a new one again ... It's only money,that's what it was made for.

Don't sweat it...we all carry these annoyances in life ... It's just noise.
Old 5/16/12, 06:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
That's not good . It looks like the VW didn't fair so well vs the Mustang.
Old 5/16/12, 07:38 PM

Thats a bummer man, as a old Audi owner I can say that most VAG drivers are jerks. Hope you come out on top of the situation.
Old 5/16/12, 07:48 PM
V6 Member

She told me that a cab came from the other direction and she tried to avoid it. She probably panicked and hit my car. But there was no sign of a cab. Then again, they charged a cab driver with murder the other day. So I am not surprised they would be taking off.

The accident report does not contain any information about what happened, just driver, car and insurance information. Maybe I will get more info from the insurance company once everything is done.

I got a Hyundai Sonata in boring grey as a rental (paid by my insurance). Missed my pony right away. I guess you do get pretty used to the power in the 5.0...
Old 5/16/12, 07:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
iszat you holding the baby?
I don't see no baby. Also don't have one.
Old 5/17/12, 05:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by romendo

Today I got a call from the adjuster. Estimate for the repair is $7,500 and 9 days of work. It is interesting how almost invisible damage can cost so much.
I'm not surprised. One week after making my first payment I was bumped from behind. All it did was scuff up the back bumper, both painted and unpainted plastic bumper panels (No metal), and it ended up being an $800 repair.
Old 5/17/12, 07:18 PM
V6 Member

So sorry bro! I know exactly how you feel - had my 2012 two weeks and it got hit in my carport!

You can check my other threads to see how it came out. I had the shop repaint it again since the match was too dark; don't settle!

Again, I soooo feel your pain, but it'll be back and you'll love it even more (and be paranoid as hell too - I find myself constantly looking out my apt window to check on her

Chad
Old 5/17/12, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bummer man, basically the insurance company is going to cover possibly an entire new rear-end and paint. Reason being is that the body shop is or for profit and not all of the time do you necessarily need each and every part they throw on there, think insurance fraud. If the car isn't spot-on in alignment once it's put on a rack at true body shop, they determine replacement parts are necessary but not 100% warranted. Good luck man, I hope it all works out for you.
Old 5/17/12, 08:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by chudc
So sorry bro! I know exactly how you feel - had my 2012 two weeks and it got hit in my carport!

You can check my other threads to see how it came out. I had the shop repaint it again since the match was too dark; don't settle!

Again, I soooo feel your pain, but it'll be back and you'll love it even more (and be paranoid as hell too - I find myself constantly looking out my apt window to check on her

Chad
I am paranoid enough already. An incident like this does not help. With the way drivers are over here it is a miracle nothing major has happened until now. Nobody pays attention at all.

I am worried about the paint match. But I hope for the best.
Old 5/17/12, 08:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Pete07GT
Bummer man, basically the insurance company is going to cover possibly an entire new rear-end and paint. Reason being is that the body shop is or for profit and not all of the time do you necessarily need each and every part they throw on there, think insurance fraud. If the car isn't spot-on in alignment once it's put on a rack at true body shop, they determine replacement parts are necessary but not 100% warranted. Good luck man, I hope it all works out for you.
The tow guy (who also owns a body shop) already told me how they would replace everything with all new parts. Can't wait for the repair list to see what they replaced and with what.

I just put on the summer tire (Brembo brake package) the week before. At least now I don't have to worry about retraining the TPMS.
Old 5/17/12, 09:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by romendo

I am paranoid enough already. An incident like this does not help. With the way drivers are over here it is a miracle nothing major has happened until now. Nobody pays attention at all.

I am worried about the paint match. But I hope for the best.
Like I said, look close, drive it, and don't settle if something seems "off". I got mine repaintedcand I'd say it's 95% factory, which is **** close. The part that doesn't match (to the tee) is because the rear left quarter (which was not damaged or painted) is lighter than the right, from the factory; so when they shot the bumper cover it isn't exact on one side - oh well, OCD is in check
Old 5/17/12, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hate to see this so much
Old 5/18/12, 12:49 AM
Bullitt Member

sorry to hear it man, had someone swipe me in a parking lot, 6 days after i picked mine up. not nearly as bad, still sucked. hope she heals up!
Old 5/18/12, 04:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These things happen, but you can count the blessings; no one was hurt, it was not a hit and run (wonder if her tire was not flat, if she would have stopped), and she has insurance.
Glad it all worked out for you in the end. One minor problem you cannot avoid is that your car is marked as being involved in an accident. It will show up in a report when you go to trade it in, and sometimes hurts the value. That's the part that sucks about an accident the most, assuming no one was hurt of course.

Quick Reply: Injured Pony