Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Importing 2013 Mustangs to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/12, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Importing 2013 Mustangs to Canada

Hello,
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm hoping someone here will be able to provide me with some info.
I live in Canada and would like to purchase a 2013 V6 Premium with the PP, but many of the features (and the pricing) are lacking when compared to the US model. Because of this I'd like to import one from the US.
The only issue I've encountered so far is that I don't know if I will be able to get the car across the border as no 2013 ford vehicles have been added to the list of admissible vehicles set in place by Transport Canada.
As seen here : http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...___LINCOLN.htm

I'm hoping to find out if any of you have brought over a 2013 or 2012 ford soon after their initial release. Or if you know of anyone who has had issues
Thanks!
Old 4/13/12, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ArekSredzki
Hello,
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm hoping someone here will be able to provide me with some info.
I live in Canada and would like to purchase a 2013 V6 Premium with the PP, but many of the features (and the pricing) are lacking when compared to the US model. Because of this I'd like to import one from the US.
The only issue I've encountered so far is that I don't know if I will be able to get the car across the border as no 2013 ford vehicles have been added to the list of admissible vehicles set in place by Transport Canada.
As seen here : http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...___LINCOLN.htm

I'm hoping to find out if any of you have brought over a 2013 or 2012 ford soon after their initial release. Or if you know of anyone who has had issues
Thanks!
Many try this with all car brands, the only real way to do this is with a used one....you can buy a used one and save a few dollars ...every car board asks the same questions and often. Our government isn't that stupid unfortunately.
Old 4/13/12, 06:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I met a guy who brought a 2012 boss over from blaine WA to white rock BC he saved close to $17,000 by buying there including taxes, duty, document FedExing etc

Heres what he told me, you have to arrange the paper work 3 days in advance with the border, before you show up in the new car, some online correspondence will be needed with the dealership, FedExing documents back and forth, all so that when you get to the border all the paperwork will be ready.. If you miss a document needed to be sent ahead of time, you'll delay the whole thing...
Old 4/13/12, 06:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have his contact but I remember the dealership sticker on his car you can call them ask them what went down with "a customer who bought kona 2012 boss from white rock BC" it's called coastal ford
Old 4/13/12, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
I met a guy who brought a 2012 boss over from blaine WA to white rock BC he saved close to $17,000 by buying there including taxes, duty, document FedExing etc

Heres what he told me, you have to arrange the paper work 3 days in advance with the border, before you show up in the new car, some online correspondence will be needed with the dealership, FedExing documents back and forth, all so that when you get to the border all the paperwork will be ready.. If you miss a document needed to be sent ahead of time, you'll delay the whole thing...
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to call BS .... A brand new car , not titled entered into Canada and saving 17k is BS. The car had to be used ,and titled....there are many car guys that would have done this with pcars, Ferrari, lambos corvettes .... You cannot get a brand new car at a dealer in Ohio, fill out paper work, and bring to calgary .... Canada will not register that car, you will have to pay the full tax on that.

The CDN new car market would have died by now

Last edited by BigR; 4/13/12 at 07:11 PM.
Old 4/13/12, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BigR
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to call BS .... A brand new car , not titled entered into Canada and saving 17k is BS. The car had to be used ,and titled....there are many car guys that would have done this with pcars, Ferrari, lambos corvettes .... You cannot get a brand new car at a dealer in Ohio, fill out paper work, and bring to calgary .... Canada will not register that car, you will have to pay the full tax on that.

I'm not talking about avoiding taxes but about the actual features and pricing of the cars
Old 4/13/12, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ArekSredzki
I'm not talking about avoiding taxes but about the actual features and pricing of the cars

Good luck, report back what you bought -
Old 4/13/12, 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

You can buy a New car from the US as stated above. This is a fact. Many members have done this last year. I will be doing that soon. No need to ever buy new in Canada again. Ford will honor the Warranty in North America. Dealers will not tell you this.
Old 4/13/12, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by VegasGold
You can buy a New car from the US as stated above. This is a fact. Many members have done this last year. I will be doing that soon. No need to ever buy new in Canada again. Ford will honor the Warranty in North America. Dealers will not tell you this.
You will save "0" dollars - you will pay the tarriffs, plus the taxes, and then conform to the CDN saftey standard - has nothign to do with warrenty.

ford will warrenty a US car...but if you think the cdn government will allow your mustang here cheaper from Buffalo or florida you are in for a rude awakening...you are better off to negotiate with a Cdn dealer.

The CDN auto market would have crahed like the US housing market if there was this type of savings ...every single person would run across the boarder to save a few grand...not just a few mustang guys.

but go ahead...good luck, let us know how that works out.

the deals are on a year old used car .... and then inport...brand spanking new ....Not gonna happen !
Old 4/13/12, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

You will save "0" dollars - you will pay the tarriffs, plus the taxes, and then conform to the CDN saftey standard - has nothign to do with warrenty.

ford will warrenty a US car...but if you think the cdn government will allow your mustang here cheaper from Buffalo or florida you are in for a rude awakening...you are better off to negotiate with a Cdn dealer.

The CDN auto market would have crahed like the US housing market if there was this type of savings ...every single person would run across the boarder to save a few grand...not just a few mustang guys.

but go ahead...good luck, let us know how that works out.

the deals are on a year old used car .... and then inport...brand spanking new ....Not gonna happen !
I think you should check into it a little more. Someone who has done this will see this thread and respond I am sure. No need to buy in Canada with the dollar near par and the over prices here...This is a Fact. Many do not know of this. Some changes will be made DRL. No big deal when you save over $10,000. A 2012 GT500 is less than $50,000 with all the rebates. No need to buy New in Canada...
Old 4/13/12, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I think you should check into it a little more. Someone who has done this will see this thread and respond I am sure. No need to buy in Canada with the dollar near par and the over prices here...This is a Fact. Many do not know of this. Some changes will be made DRL. No big deal when you save over $10,000. A 2012 GT500 is less than $50,000 with all the rebates. No need to buy New in Canada...
the OP is asking about a 2013 v6 - not a 2012 gt500.

If its not on the list - you cant bring it in.

Last edited by BigR; 4/13/12 at 08:38 PM.
Old 4/13/12, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

the OP is asking about a 2013 v6 - not a 2012 gt500.

If its not on the list - you cant bring it in.
I am not the expert. It will be available but when? (soon). I believe (MontrealPonies) sp ? bought his new GT in the US last year. Ask him the details. All I know is you can bring a New car from the US with not much effort and save a ton of money. You will need the financing which many do not have that is why you do not hear of this too often...

Remember the 2013's are just coming out. I assume by Summer you should be able to get one. I know it has to be on the list but, again, they just came out. Give it tell Summer. Ask customs etc...You will save a small fortune doing this...Good luck...
Old 4/13/12, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I am not the expert. It will be available but when? (soon). I believe (MontrealPonies) sp ? bought his new GT in the US last year. Ask him the details. All I know is you can bring a New car from the US with not much effort and save a ton of money. You will need the financing which many do not have that is why you do not hear of this too often...

Remember the 2013's are just coming out. I assume by Summer you should be able to get one. I know it has to be on the list but, again, they just came out. Give it tell Summer. Ask customs etc...You will save a small fortune doing this...Good luck...
Hard to say when it hits the list..,but unitil then you won't be able license the car, unless u can purchase a used 2013 to bring over.

Usually, if you find a decent dealer to negotiate with , you can find the same price here as you would in the US....most people just look at the ford.ca or Lexus.ca website and think this the price....if someone knows how to negotiate, you can find the exact same deal here...our issue in CDN has always been the taxes...they nail us even buying from the US bringing it over.

If you calculate the exchange, transportation to bring home, tariffs,taxes,and then make it conform to transport Canada....you really have little if any savings.

There may be the exception, but if you find a motivated dealer in your area, you could get a very similar deal without the hassle.

I've tried this process on three different occasions since 2007 and it hasnt worked once yet in my favour.

I would love to hear of who has done such a transaction with some proof of details.....we would all benefit, have a great night my friend !

Last edited by BigR; 4/13/12 at 09:29 PM.
Old 4/13/12, 10:02 PM
GT Member

Back in 2008, I looked into US pricing for a new Mustang in Buffalo vs Ontario. Currency was around par. At the end of the day there were savings for a new Mustang MSRP $39,700. But there is significant hassle with taxes and converting the car to Canadian safety standards. Plus, since I was ordering the car brand new I wanted to be in close proximity to the dealership that I was purchasing the car through. To each his own. I'm sure if you have the appropriate dealers licence the process is much simpler.
Old 4/13/12, 10:12 PM

Thank you everyone for your input.
However, I'd still love to here someone's success or failure story for importing a 2013 ford
Old 4/14/12, 07:17 AM

One huge plus is that the 2013s now come with DRL's in the USA. This means the safety/emissions stuff will now just be a rubber stamp (other than the DRL law CAN has less strict safety and emissions standards). There are companies that specialize in cross boarder import/export of cars across the US/CAN boundary. For a small free they can take care of the process so you aren't stuck at the boundary missing paperwork.

As others have mentioned the best deal will be had when you can purchase a used car as there are less taxes, fees, duty, etc.

You might also want to consider the cost of a gauge swap in the price of things. I moved to the USA with my car about 5 years ago and while it does have secondary MPH markings they are so small it is really hard to see them in the daytime. It's a small thing but at times it can be annoying. I'm amusing the same would be true with secondary KPH makings on an American car (I keep hoping that the USA will just join the rest of the planet and go metric...but alas, not yet).

Good luck!
Old 4/14/12, 07:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just saw this post and have to leave, but i'll just had this for now, YES you can import a car from the US ( N-Y in my case) and after all is paid and done with the different government instances, you will save a few G's.
I'm sure TC will add the 2013 Mustang very soon. I'll get back back to this later.
Old 4/14/12, 07:48 AM
V6 Member

I actually went through this last year, as we are in the US all the time & I couldnt find what I was looking for at home. First of all there is NOT a huge amount of savings in the US. If you go into your local dealer, talk to them about a STRAIGHT SALE PRICE, then price one in the US... Not a HUGE amount of difference... You do not get any rebates in the US & some provinces including mine will NOT allow you to register a brand new car that was bought in the US. How do I know this? Because I bought a new one & tried to register it & they said NO! 4 months later & a ton of hassle later I was finally able to register it. NEVER AGAIN
My new one this year is coming from my local dealer,plus I save the taxes on the trade in
Old 4/14/12, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I cross back and forth from the US all the time. The Canada customs lines are always full of new and used cars for import. I have even imported a couple of motorcycles and a car. It involves some paperwork but not as difficult as it seems which must be sent to the Customs at the point you intend to cross at least 3 days before hand, and you cross on the day you say you will.

You pay some duty/taxes, go to Crappy Tire for them to look at it and then go get it plated. You WILL save several $$$ and that out ways the small hassel. Last bike I imported took 5 days from when I picked it up in the US to getting ONT plates on it and I saved $7000 over buying in ONT.

I would do this everytime and nearly did with my Stang but when I mentioned to my dealer (who I have bought other cars from) I was going state side, he cut a great deal and basically matched what I would pay by importing.
Old 4/14/12, 06:30 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It is not a benefit to do this with all cars.
however doing it with the more expensive cars IS worth it.
I would say on a V6 its not worth it, GT you can save a bit of coin...GT500...its a 10,000 difference in price.

GT500 here is sold still under the SVT branded dealerships only...making the access to them less, and the negotiations non-existant.
I have one dealer near me that has at least 7 in inventory (they had more before)
2 are still new 2010s...5 are 2011s. List is 60,000-64,000

Quick Reply: Importing 2013 Mustangs to Canada