Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

If I "order" a GT from my dealer, how can I negotiate price?

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/10, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I "order" a GT from my dealer, how can I negotiate price?

Will they expect me to pay MSRP since I'm pretty much proving to them that I will buy this vehicle? My dealer says that order deposits are usually $1000 or less. Is that reasonable?

I did find the dealer price sheet at the top and have it downloaded--big thanks to Jeff!!!!!

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 3/22/10, 02:31 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by train21reb
Will they expect me to pay MSRP since I'm pretty much proving to them that I will buy this vehicle? My dealer says that order deposits are usually $1000 or less. Is that reasonable?

I did find the dealer price sheet at the top and have it downloaded--big thanks to Jeff!!!!!

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
They will probably expect msrp for this vehicle since it is brand new and demand is high. However you can find deals. Jeff is offering $300 over invoice + holdback. There is also x-plan if you qualify. Both of those options will save you a couple grand right there, depending on what equipment you get.

As for the deposit, that's a dealer by dealer case. The dealer I'm working with requires a non-refundable $1000 deposit because I ordered the glass roof. They said they've had a hard time moving the glass roof cars so they require a deposit on those.
Old 3/22/10, 02:40 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
My dealer charged me $1,000 for a deposit. It is subtracted from the Cash Balance Due, so it goes toward the price of the car. They get to keep the $1,000 if i back out.
Old 3/22/10, 02:53 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
My dealer charged me $1,000 for a deposit. It is subtracted from the Cash Balance Due, so it goes toward the price of the car. They get to keep the $1,000 if i back out.
Old 3/22/10, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
go to three different dealers and ask them for their best price; tell them you are going to three dealers and asking them all for their best price . . . then pick the one you like the best, and give them a chance to beat the best price if they weren't the ones who gave it to you

since you are ordering the car, they should give you a good price, since they don't have to carry the inventory cost; the car comes in and goes right out and they get paid, so they don't need as big a margin

I think you can get pretty close to X-Plan by doing this, since the X-Plan doesn't do much for the dealer anyway

Last edited by Bert; 3/22/10 at 05:07 PM. Reason: more
Old 3/22/10, 05:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You could negotiate the hold back also. Hold back is the fee that covers dealership costs, kind of like rent. If you order, it doesn't sit on the lot for an extended period of time si it's money in the dealership's pocket.
Old 3/22/10, 05:20 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got my 05 GT when the demand was sky high and places were charging thousands over MSRP. I called every Ford dealer in my area and kept calling until I found a dealer who would order it for me at $500 over invoice. Finally I found a place 2 hrs away, drove there, ordered, followed up a few times over the next couple months, killed a lot of time on TMS, then finally I drove up there and picked it up when it came in. I don't remember what the deposit was, but I MADE SURE TO PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN, because when it came in they tried to 'renegotiate' the price and say it had to sell for MSRP. I explained to them that we had an agreement and since I had the order form writen up and a receipt for money that we had a contract (money has to change hands to make the contract official). Therefore, I got my car for $500 over invoice in March of 2005.

Bottom line is, forget about MSRP. Decide what you want, and then negotiate from invoice price up, not MSRP down. With the 5.0 demand you might be best off spending some time on the phone before you start wasting gas going from place to place. Call and ask for a sales, preferrably a sales manager, and state that you want to order the car in for $X over invoice. Decide what you're willing to pay, find someone who's willing to sell it, especially when ordering. You could probably handle a lot of that online with the way so many dealers have internet sales departments. Try sending some emails and making phone calls.

OK, I'm rambling... good luck.
Old 3/22/10, 05:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I got my 05 GT when the demand was sky high and places were charging thousands over MSRP. I called every Ford dealer in my area and kept calling until I found a dealer who would order it for me at $500 over invoice. Finally I found a place 2 hrs away, drove there, ordered, followed up a few times over the next couple months, killed a lot of time on TMS, then finally I drove up there and picked it up when it came in. I don't remember what the deposit was, but I MADE SURE TO PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN, because when it came in they tried to 'renegotiate' the price and say it had to sell for MSRP. I explained to them that we had an agreement and since I had the order form writen up and a receipt for money that we had a contract (money has to change hands to make the contract official). Therefore, I got my car for $500 over invoice in March of 2005.

Bottom line is, forget about MSRP. Decide what you want, and then negotiate from invoice price up, not MSRP down. With the 5.0 demand you might be best off spending some time on the phone before you start wasting gas going from place to place. Call and ask for a sales, preferrably a sales manager, and state that you want to order the car in for $X over invoice. Decide what you're willing to pay, find someone who's willing to sell it, especially when ordering. You could probably handle a lot of that online with the way so many dealers have internet sales departments. Try sending some emails and making phone calls.

OK, I'm rambling... good luck.
Hes not kidding about this, I ordered a 2007 Black Cali spec, with all the things I wanted, They only took a Photo copy of drivers license and info, when the car came in, they sold it, that same very weekend to somebody who spotted it on the Lot. I even had all the tracking info as it was being Built, I ended up with a 2004 Mach1 with 5,100 miles on it, Which I am very happy with. My next Mustang will be a Shelby GT500.. It might be a few years and I might have to buy it used with low mileage, But I am defiantly getting one !
Old 3/22/10, 06:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

There is no shortage on these cars at all. The cycle will be a full 15 months before the 2012. Ford will build as many as customers want. Shoot for invoice.
Old 3/22/10, 07:12 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get Jeff to order it for you and drop ship it to you.
Old 3/22/10, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
You can get Jeff to order it for you and drop ship it to you.
QFT. No reason to pay anywhere close to MSRP; with the Retail Verification program, a retail order doesn't count against Jeff's dealer's allotment. That is if you're ready to buy now (which isn't really buying now; it's buying in May or June when the car comes in), I recommend going that route.
Old 3/23/10, 05:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DontShoot
QFT. No reason to pay anywhere close to MSRP; with the Retail Verification program, a retail order doesn't count against Jeff's dealer's allotment. That is if you're ready to buy now (which isn't really buying now; it's buying in May or June when the car comes in), I recommend going that route.
I asked two dealers about ordering the '11. Both said they wanted a $500 deposit, and 'we'll do the deal when it gets here'. Neither would commit to a price.
Old 3/23/10, 05:13 AM
Cobra R Member

I put $500 refundable on my '05, when they were in extreme demand and got x-plan and my GT Premium came to $24,900, before the $500 down.
Old 3/23/10, 05:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
I put $500 refundable on my '05, when they were in extreme demand and got x-plan and my GT Premium came to $24,900, before the $500 down.
6 yrs later, now your looking at 35k.... outta my league now..
Old 3/23/10, 06:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
I asked two dealers about ordering the '11. Both said they wanted a $500 deposit, and 'we'll do the deal when it gets here'. Neither would commit to a price.
NO, NO, NO. Don't fall for it!!! Get the price BEFORE it's ordered.
Old 3/23/10, 07:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
NO, NO, NO. Don't fall for it!!! Get the price BEFORE it's ordered.
Yea before i ever gave a deposit i got the price of the car and my trade value. I have it in writing so do not give any deposit before you know what you are paying.
Old 3/23/10, 07:11 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's got to be one of the dumbest things that I've ever heard. Seriously? Wow.
Old 3/23/10, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Go there with your wallet out, your check book in hand and, your mint 2009 Mustang GT with a for sale sign on it that reads 12k dollars less then what you paid for it. I think when your dealer sees this he'll know he's dealing with a shrewd bargainer and he'll be ready to give you a great deal to get you into the 2011 Mustang GT

Last edited by black sunshine; 3/23/10 at 07:17 AM.
Old 3/23/10, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like they're jerking you around. Seriously, with the Retail Verification program out there, these guys really don't have a leg to stand on. Either they order you the car you want for 300 over invoice, and make money off your parts and service, or you go to someone who will order you the car for that price (I don't think I have to tell you who on this board can help).
Old 3/23/10, 08:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Even at $300 over invoice, a dealer still makes money - perhaps just not as much as they might like.

Ford's holdback is 3% of sticker minus destination. Ford pays that once they sell the car. Most dealers won't negotiate holdback - it keeps the lights on and helps pay the salaried folks - but know that it is there for them.

This is all negotiation. If you go in for a GT, they know something about you already, and knowledge is power in negotiation. Some sales folks will go the "no price quote" route. They are playing hardball to find out how emotional you are about the car. They know most Mustang GT customers are more passionate car owners. A more emotional client usually means a more profitable one. If they maintain that approach, I vote with my feet - and walk away.

Know the real price of everything on the car. Know how to calculate payments if you will arrange financing through the dealer. Though many are honest, some will try to pack payments, boost APR's, etc. Even better, pre-arrange your financing through bank, credit union, e-Loan, etc. and take them out of the financing picture, or make them compete against that. Cash is trash to a lot of car dealers. You bringing full payment takes a lot of negotiation leverage out of their hands. They are selling more than cars.

Be careful in F&I. The person you are sitting across from is another salesperson. The undercoating, scotch-guarding, dealer-installed alarm systems, etc. - much of this stuff is very overpriced at some dealers. I just said no to all of it.

Once the paperwork is done, look it over completely before signing anything. Mistakes can happen. Sad to say, occasionally they are not mistakes. Know how to calculate payments yourself.

Negotiate the price of the car. Do not let them start negotiating monthly payment. It is play time for them when they do that.

Or, just order through Jeff. He has proven himself trustworthy.

With all this said, there's also plenty of honest hardworking folks in the business. The others just ruin it for them.

Last edited by Paris MkVI; 3/23/10 at 08:27 AM.

Quick Reply: If I "order" a GT from my dealer, how can I negotiate price?