Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

If it came as a kit...Awesome...

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/09, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it came as a kit...Awesome...

Just a random thought I'm sharing 'cause I'm bored...

What if Ford offered buyers Mustangs in kit form? Instead of delivering a completed car, you get a kit-car package, with all the pieces in boxes and a nice painted (or unpainted) body. You could actually build your 'Stang in your garage yourself!

Anyone else think that would be awesome?

Old 12/8/09, 04:14 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Liability? Demand? New department expenses? Promotional costs?

Ford is beginning to get its head above water due to quality control and new model introductions. I doubt Ford would pursue such insecure adventure in a flooded aftermaket. It is likely the direction to follow is the proven one.
Old 12/8/09, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Would never be considered road legal from the Federal Safety people....

But... you can do that, but it's not cheap... Ford offers their body in white racing kit Mustangs. ;-) Think FRPP has them....
Old 12/8/09, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

You mean like this?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/12/f...te-for-racers/
Old 12/8/09, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Or like this.

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/ford_models2.html
Old 12/8/09, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
Wow, that's pricey...but very cool. Why so much? You would think you could find a decent original and have the work done to bring it up to near perfect quality for far less.
Old 12/8/09, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Clino
Wow, that's pricey...but very cool. Why so much? You would think you could find a decent original and have the work done to bring it up to near perfect quality for far less.
When was the last time you priced out a decent original?
Old 12/8/09, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Liability? Demand? New department expenses? Promotional costs?

Ford is beginning to get its head above water due to quality control and new model introductions. I doubt Ford would pursue such insecure adventure in a flooded aftermaket. It is likely the direction to follow is the proven one.
I don't think I meant for Ford to stop manufacturing built cars and start just selling kit-cars instead. That would be retarded.

If anything this "S197 kit car" would be a catalogue item, like ordering a race-prepped vehicle.

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
Would never be considered road legal from the Federal Safety people
Why would it be different than any other kit car?

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
Those are just bodies, not whole kit-cars. You'd have to gather up every single part. People do that, of course, but it's a bit more involved than getting a whole kit in package.
Old 12/8/09, 11:02 PM
FR500 Member

With respect for their prices, from their website FAQ:

Reason 1 - Tooling:
Originally Posted by Dynacorn
Because it takes millions of dollars for tooling...
Reason 2 - Licensing fees and costs:
As every body shell we manufactured has to done under meticulous standards set by GM/Saab and licensed by either General Motors or FORD, the licensing process can be considerable and expensive.
Reason 3 - Better materials than original:
The steel used in our body shell program is 1006 universal automotive grade steel coated with special Galvanization to protect against rust.. In most cases the gauge will be thicker than that of the original.

Thickness of steel increased:
Trunk floor 0.8 to 1.0 m/m
Rocker panel 1.6 to 2.0 m/m
Rocker Panel Inner Brace 3.0 m/m
Rear frame rails 1.6 to 2.3 m/m
Firewall & torque bar 1.0 to 1.2 m/m

Last edited by PTRocks; 12/8/09 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12/9/09, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Arrow
Why would it be different than any other kit car?

Those are just bodies, not whole kit-cars. You'd have to gather up every single part. People do that, of course, but it's a bit more involved than getting a whole kit in package.

As for the racers, I think the people who buy the cars to race want them to be as customizable as possible since their drivers and conditions are so varied. People tweak things like crazy.

I see what you're saying, and my guess is there's no profitability in it for Ford. My other guess is that none of the kit cars are offered from large car manufacturers. From what I researched on single engine airplanes a few years ago, the kit build was a way for a company to offer a unique product without undergoing FAA certification for the model which costs an insane amount of money.

The way I look at it: buying a Mustang is already like buying a kit racer. There are so many options in the aftermarket for upgrading the suspension and performance, that you can build out your Mustang in almost anyway you want. There are very few cars out there that have such strong aftermarket support for mods. :-)
Old 12/9/09, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Arrow
I don't think I meant for Ford to stop manufacturing built cars and start just selling kit-cars instead. That would be retarded...
Neither did I and there was no implication Mustang sales off the assembly line would be affected. To provide for your idea Ford would have to create a new department to deal with the logistics of such program to accomodate such a minor segment of the market. The success of any product is dependant on its sales volume.

There has been a few ground up restoration stories mostly dealing with classics posted on TMS but I don't recall ever one dealing with a complete build or even a body on white project.

As an enthusiast there is no reason not to like your idea. As a business venture for Ford it doesn't seem as it would be profitable.
Old 12/9/09, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
As an enthusiast there is no reason not to like your idea. As a business venture for Ford it doesn't seem as it would be profitable.
What I was trying to say, but with the simple eloquence I failed at miserably. :-)
Old 12/9/09, 02:24 PM
GT Member

Can you say body in white? Isn't that what you are doing when you buy those?
Old 12/9/09, 03:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Coupe66US
Can you say body in white? Isn't that what you are doing when you buy those?

That's what I was thinking...
Old 12/9/09, 03:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, but the body in white is A) expensive B) far from complete as it's intended for professional racing teams.

Arrow's idea was for the average Joe to buy a kit and build their Mustang. Like the Shelby Cobra-ish kit cars you see around.
Old 12/9/09, 04:19 PM
FR500 Member

BIW also cannot be registered for road use. Well.... ahem. I think the main problem with a "kit car" approach would be quality of parts and assembly would vary along with vehicle safety/crash performance.
Old 12/9/09, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Depends on the state, but I know in California, Body-In-White Mustangs cannot be registered.

From CA DMW.
A "home-made, specially constructed, or kit vehicle" is a vehicle that is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer.
Old 12/9/09, 09:15 PM

That is why aftermarket tuners or builders as they like to call themselves, have to adhere to the same safety and EPA standards as the original manufacturers or the vehicle in question is thus classified as not street legal. Add to the equation those businesses are replacing or adding parts and components not building a car from the ground up.
Old 12/10/09, 09:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Worst idea ever.