Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Idiot driver!

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/14, 05:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idiot driver!

Sitting in traffic on a busy 2 lane road. Moron woman in front pulls into a turn lane to the right....I start to go past her....she then tries to whip around and do an illegal u-turn across me and a double yellow line.

I accelerated hard as I saw what she was doing, but couldn't avoid her. She hit my Stang just above the right rear wheel and also grinds the right side of my bumper. No wheel damage or damage to suspension, exhaust, etc. Car drives fine.

There is no obvious quarter panel.....how can it be repaired without looking like an obvious repair job?

Geez....

Last edited by RTR-5.0; 4/26/14 at 04:31 PM.
Old 4/25/14, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw a woman, not that the sex matters, but she was texting today and ran off of the road twice. I was tempted to call 911 but then I am using my phone while driving as well.
Old 4/25/14, 08:56 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
did she stop and give you her info?
Old 4/25/14, 10:15 PM
V6 Member

Yes - we did the whole deal with the cops. She admitted about 3 times that it was "her fault." Still sucks.
Old 4/26/14, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
What a drag. Pics of the lady and of the damage??
Old 4/26/14, 09:03 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
What a drag...
:hehe: I see what you did there...

Let us know what the insurance says. That sounds like a very strange "accident".
Old 4/26/14, 09:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
As for the no Obvious quarter panel, the whole side of the car is stamped out of 1 piece of sheet metal. That being said if the quarter is replaced the go up to the door and into the roof. A good body shop will make it look like it was before the wreck.
Old 4/26/14, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Bummer just had mine get crunched lastnight it sucks!
Old 4/26/14, 01:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
I saw a woman, not that the sex matters, but she was texting today and ran off of the road twice. I was tempted to call 911 but then I am using my phone while driving as well.
You made me laugh there brother.

OP, just happy to hear no one was hurt. It seem that people are doing everything in their cars but driving these days. Hope everything works out, and you're rolling again soon.
Old 4/26/14, 04:14 PM
V6 Member

I'm not the best at uploading pictures, but here are a few:

My car's damage:
Name:  UyZGVJM.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  38.5 KB

Idiot woman's car; of course not near the damage as mine:
Name:  t5seW0d.jpg
Size:  42.9 KB

Last edited by RTR-5.0; 4/26/14 at 04:16 PM.
Old 4/26/14, 04:21 PM
V6 Member

And here is how it happened; apologies for the cheesy MS Paint graphics. (hey, it works!)

Sitting in heavy traffic on a 2 lane, double yellow road. She is in front of me, with a short turn lane into a church parking lot off to the right. Light traffic in the oncoming lane and one car has already done an illegal u turn.
Name:  JxXLk29.jpg
Size:  9.7 KB

Idiot woman pulls into the turn lane. No signal, nothing, just pulls in and pauses. I begin to go past her:
Name:  mdDjnNz.jpg
Size:  5.7 KB

As I go past, out of the corner of my eye I see her begin to turn toward me. I accelerate and swerve to the left, but she nails me:
Name:  IHd23Oc.jpg
Size:  6.1 KB
Old 4/26/14, 04:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
That's one angry red cube ! Lol
Old 4/26/14, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I think a good body man can massage that panel back into shape. But I think if it was mine I would want it replaced, correctly. The thing is, there are not many shops who take pride in their work any more, so I would be worried about the results if it is repaired or replaced.
Old 4/26/14, 08:08 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Sorry to see the damage...but what can be said

as for repair options, my 2 cents- I worry about all the cutting/welding on replacing a quarter, the factory dipped welds are hard to replace... I think if it were mine, I'd *hope* a good bodyguy could work that panel back into shape without cutting the car at all, just reseal the inner fenderwell seam, as surely it moved enough to crack the epoxy, but I would think it a lot less invasive than a cut... the 'bodyside' panel on every new car since the 90's is a one piece stamping from the cowl to the taillights- cutting in a quarter means adding seams the car never had before the accident... yes it would be a new panel, but new weld seam/filler over that seam would always worry me... plus drilling all the spotwelds around the rockers/trunk/doorjamb- its pretty major surgery... often thats the only option, but by this one pic, I dont see a lot of distortion anywhere- I really think if it were mine I'd rather see a expert guy hammer/dolly that back into shape- a really good bodyguy could probably dolly to get 95% of that flat with just a few coats of fast build primer... no doubt some filler will be needed, but still a GOOD hammer/dolly guy could probably get it... maybe insist on seeing the metal before filling. My Mom had a new 90 tbird that got hit in the roof by a semi tire- they didnt enen try to straighten it, and put 5/8" football shaped bondo in that 500 mile car... I'd REALLY insist on seeing the metal work before fill/prime, and if its not up to what you'd find acceptable, have it cut... cases like this you might get some leeway with the insurer- just tell them, if they want to make it as good as it was, you expect a seamless bodyside replacement panel, and a full epoxy dip like it had before she hit you- those things are IMPOSSIBLE, so... keep reminding them they are supposed to return your car to the condition it was before the hit- it didnt have a hidden split/weld in the quarter or roofline, it had a full epoxy dip sealant that simply cannot be replaced...
odds are if you push it in this manner, I think you should have a legit reason for a diminished value claim. most folks just want their car shiny again, most bodyshops can get that easily- but if you stick to your guns that your car cannot be as good as before, they gotta work with you. good luck, and be glad it wasnt worse... a tiny bit harder and a major cut/replace would be the only option. things can always be worse...
Old 4/26/14, 09:03 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the info. I'm really nervous about what can actually be done to make this car right.

<I think you should have a legit reason for a diminished value claim>
I'm already looking into this. I plan on claiming this once I finalize the repair.
Old 4/26/14, 09:59 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
Sorry to see the damage...but what can be said

as for repair options, my 2 cents- I worry about all the cutting/welding on replacing a quarter, the factory dipped welds are hard to replace... I think if it were mine, I'd *hope* a good bodyguy could work that panel back into shape without cutting the car at all, just reseal the inner fenderwell seam, as surely it moved enough to crack the epoxy, but I would think it a lot less invasive than a cut... the 'bodyside' panel on every new car since the 90's is a one piece stamping from the cowl to the taillights- cutting in a quarter means adding seams the car never had before the accident... yes it would be a new panel, but new weld seam/filler over that seam would always worry me... plus drilling all the spotwelds around the rockers/trunk/doorjamb- its pretty major surgery... often thats the only option, but by this one pic, I dont see a lot of distortion anywhere- I really think if it were mine I'd rather see a expert guy hammer/dolly that back into shape- a really good bodyguy could probably dolly to get 95% of that flat with just a few coats of fast build primer... no doubt some filler will be needed, but still a GOOD hammer/dolly guy could probably get it... maybe insist on seeing the metal before filling. My Mom had a new 90 tbird that got hit in the roof by a semi tire- they didnt enen try to straighten it, and put 5/8" football shaped bondo in that 500 mile car... I'd REALLY insist on seeing the metal work before fill/prime, and if its not up to what you'd find acceptable, have it cut... cases like this you might get some leeway with the insurer- just tell them, if they want to make it as good as it was, you expect a seamless bodyside replacement panel, and a full epoxy dip like it had before she hit you- those things are IMPOSSIBLE, so... keep reminding them they are supposed to return your car to the condition it was before the hit- it didnt have a hidden split/weld in the quarter or roofline, it had a full epoxy dip sealant that simply cannot be replaced...
odds are if you push it in this manner, I think you should have a legit reason for a diminished value claim. most folks just want their car shiny again, most bodyshops can get that easily- but if you stick to your guns that your car cannot be as good as before, they gotta work with you. good luck, and be glad it wasnt worse... a tiny bit harder and a major cut/replace would be the only option. things can always be worse...
Not gonna read that mess...
Old 4/26/14, 11:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
If you are interested in a diminished value claim, read this: https://themustangsource.com/showpos...3&postcount=51. Sorry to see the accident!
Old 4/26/14, 11:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
If it were me, I might just consider a wide-body kit. Might.
Old 4/27/14, 07:01 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
If you are interested in a diminished value claim, read this: https://themustangsource.com/showpos...3&postcount=51. Sorry to see the accident!
Man, thanks a lot for this. You laid it out perfectly. My sister is an attorney - I'm thinking that I'll do the leg work you mention then get her to send it on her letterhead.
Old 4/27/14, 09:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by RTR-5.0
Man, thanks a lot for this. You laid it out perfectly. My sister is an attorney - I'm thinking that I'll do the leg work you mention then get her to send it on her letterhead.
You're welcome - good way to start definitely!

Quick Reply: Idiot driver!