2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

I routinely punish myself with black cars

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/11, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black 5.0
Learned this the other day from another thread on this board.

Wet a dryer sheet and the windshield, bugs will wipe off super easy. I don't trust it on my paint yet but it get's rid of bugs like nobody's business. I finish off a little bit of stoner's invisible glass to get rid of the streaks. Takes me less than 2 minutes.
This works... I'm not sure what kind of bugs you guys are talking about but here in Florida we get love bugs twice per year that just love to wreck cars. I've found that just taking any soft towel and soaking it in warm water for a minute will do wonders for the bugs too. The key is to re-liquify their guts.
Old 5/23/11, 03:12 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by jaybertx
This works... I'm not sure what kind of bugs you guys are talking about but here in Florida we get love bugs twice per year that just love to wreck cars. I've found that just taking any soft towel and soaking it in warm water for a minute will do wonders for the bugs too. The key is to re-liquify their guts.
Best thing I've ever used for bugs (especially the love bugs) is original Murphy Oil soap . Mix it with warm water and use with a rag, and it takes them right off. You'll have to put wax back on the area you use it on, but it is the bees knees for getting bugs off.
Old 5/23/11, 03:47 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The bugs don't bother me as much as the swirls. Black is unforgiving. Swirls are killing me.
Old 5/23/11, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
The bugs don't bother me as much as the swirls. Black is unforgiving. Swirls are killing me.
Swirls are a result of improper washing technique. If you are hand washing, make sure you are using the two bucket method with only microfiber clothes/mits. For drying use the sheeting method and spot dry the rest with a microfiber towel. Many people prefer using a leaf blower to air dry, but not everyone has one.

Never use a brush from a car wash on the paint surface and stay away from auto washes that have brushes in them.

Finally a protectant sealant like what has been discussed will cut down on scratches and swirls as well.
Old 5/23/11, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
This is the reason that I swore I'd never have another black car. It drove me NUTS. No one else could really even see the swirls but I could and it was enough for me. My wife just thought I was .

Eventually I just gave in and accepted them as a fact of life and was happier. 99% of people don't even see it. But I know on a new car it would (will?) drive me nuts again. No matter how careful you are there will always be some swirls.
Old 5/23/11, 06:17 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
For the most part, they were there when I bought it. I wash in straight lines so I can blame myself on the straight ones. Just gonna pay someone to buff most of them out and go from there. You're right though. Nobody else really notices them but me and it pisses me off every time I see them. Should have bought a sonic blue instead. But nothing beats black when it's clean. For the hour that it stays clean that is.