Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

i know this has been beat to death (sound tube)

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/12, 04:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know this has been beat to death (sound tube)

hey everyone...so i finally did the sound tube thing (pulled out the black foam in the tube nearest to the cabin) overall, it's def louder at WOT, but not that much, sounds good i think.

got some noob questions...will removing that black foam cause any issues with unhealthy gases or whatnot coming into the cabin?

also, rookie mistake, i dropped the nut into the engine bay...

didn't hear any rattling until i made a turn onto the highway, then it quickly went away (like it fell through onto the ground). will this cause issues if it's still in there, i plan on taking it to a buddy who is a mechanic to see if we can fish it out

Last edited by NJCO; 3/6/12 at 04:12 PM.
Old 3/6/12, 04:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Inside the tube smells a little oily/gasy when I took mine out. So that may make it to the cabin.

As far as a nut falling somewhere, it's not going to cause any issues. It's probably stuck on a lip somewhere that you'll never find.
Old 3/6/12, 05:02 PM
V6 Member

was it enough to make you put the foam back in? i didn't smell anything while i was out driving or anything...just looking for some re-assurance
Old 3/6/12, 05:14 PM
Cobra R Member

I removed the entire tube to eliminate the sound. Sounds like u are trying to increase the sound. If you have exhaust, don't even bother, you won't hear it
Old 3/6/12, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

still have the stock exhaust, so yeah was looking to increase the sound inside the cabin.
Old 3/6/12, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NJCO
still have the stock exhaust, so yeah was looking to increase the sound inside the cabin.

To each his own I guess. The first thing I did was block that stupid sound tube, done easily by place some tape over the outlet on the intake tube, then reconnecting the sound tube over the taped outlet hole.

That sound, whahhh, whahhh, I absolutely detest that whahhh sound, and the fact that Ford added it to the Mustang is beyond me. It makes the engine sound like it's working much harder than it is.

If I want extra noise, it will be of the right kind from a nice set of Axle-Backs.
Old 3/6/12, 06:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kn7671

To each his own I guess. The first thing I did was block that stupid sound tube, done easily by place some tape over the outlet on the intake tube, then reconnecting the sound tube over the taped outlet hole.

That sound, whahhh, whahhh, I absolutely detest that whahhh sound, and the fact that Ford added it to the Mustang is beyond me. It makes the engine sound like it's working much harder than it is.

If I want extra noise, it will be of the right kind from a nice set of Axle-Backs.
well i guess you're gods gift to mustangs

i plan on getting a new exhaust eventually.
Old 3/6/12, 07:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Honestly I would remove it or put the filter back in. It wouldn't be worth it. If that gas/oil smell gets to the Interior, it will stick to everything and stick for a while
Old 3/6/12, 09:31 PM
GT Member

There are 2 places to remove the foam, the black one inside the firewall and the white one inside the tube. If you remove the white one and black one it will be real loud at wot, I put the black on back in so It's a bit louder but not as loud as both of them removed, I can easily pull the black one back out if I want the real loud sound.
Old 3/6/12, 09:41 PM
V6 Member

i just have have the black one out.
Old 3/7/12, 02:24 AM
Cobra R Member

The sound tube has gotta be one of the dumbest things ford ever did with the mustang...whats next? putting a shelby front end on a V6 and adding more plastic?...oh wait...nevermind!
Old 3/7/12, 03:26 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
The sound tube has gotta be one of the dumbest things ford ever did with the mustang...whats next? putting a shelby front end on a V6 and adding more plastic?...oh wait...nevermind!
Old 3/7/12, 04:52 PM

The sound tube is better than this!

New BMW M5 fakes its engine noise for your pleasure

BMW's solution involves a digital signal processor tied to the engine computer that pumps a recreation of the twin-turbo V8's engine noise through the car's stereo system, spread evenly so that all passengers can enjoy. The system not only matches the engine's activity, but will even adjust its output for the car's various software-controlled sport driving modes. The result, says BMW, is "an even more direct reminder of their car's performance" than actual engine noise. No word if it will also sync with the engine if and when it breaks down.

http://jalopnik.com/5843332/new-bmw-...-your-pleasure
Old 3/7/12, 05:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
While people dog the IST, I personally like the sound. It is not the only car that has this.
Old 3/7/12, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vanwall
The sound tube is better than this!

New BMW M5 fakes its engine noise for your pleasure

BMW's solution involves a digital signal processor tied to the engine computer that pumps a recreation of the twin-turbo V8's engine noise through the car's stereo system, spread evenly so that all passengers can enjoy. The system not only matches the engine's activity, but will even adjust its output for the car's various software-controlled sport driving modes. The result, says BMW, is "an even more direct reminder of their car's performance" than actual engine noise. No word if it will also sync with the engine if and when it breaks down.

http://jalopnik.com/5843332/new-bmw-...-your-pleasure

I was just watching a test on the new Porsche, and it has an electronic control, via a button on the center console, to channel the sound into the cabin.
Old 3/7/12, 09:29 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no passage of gasses or air into the cabin through the sound tube. The little gizmo bolted to the inner fender panel has a diaphragm in it to transmit the sound but not let any air or gasses flow through.

And for you guys that have pulled your sound tube assemblies off your car, I still am looking for someone to send me theirs...
Old 3/7/12, 09:53 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Common sense guys come on... the tube connects to the intake... the intake sucks air in... so the flow through the tube is going from the cabin and into the intake. It doesn't blow air into the cabin. You will get absolutely no gasses/smells in the cabin
Old 3/8/12, 04:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Common sense guys come on... the tube connects to the intake... the intake sucks air in... so the flow through the tube is going from the cabin and into the intake. It doesn't blow air into the cabin. You will get absolutely no gasses/smells in the cabin
I didn't know of that diaphragm but if that diaphragm wasn't there then there could definitely be oil like smells. Stick your nose near it when you pull it off, it stinks. Also, your air intake is connected to your crankcase by means of the PCV hoses and you get oil vapors coming thru. I understand the point that there will be no air moving the opposite direction but there's not always that much suction and engines aren't always running!

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 3/8/12 at 04:04 AM.
Old 3/8/12, 06:06 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS

I didn't know of that diaphragm but if that diaphragm wasn't there then there could definitely be oil like smells. Stick your nose near it when you pull it off, it stinks. Also, your air intake is connected to your crankcase by means of the PCV hoses and you get oil vapors coming thru. I understand the point that there will be no air moving the opposite direction but there's not always that much suction and engines aren't always running!
The Pcv connection is on the other side of the throttle body. So it really can't get fumes to the sound tube...
This thread is just funny... ppl have been taking the "filters" out for a while now with no smells. Yet y'all are worried about getting smells... you will get more smells out of your body than you will from that tube
Old 3/8/12, 06:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Geeeezzz.....the diaphragm stops anything from passing to the cabin.....do you really think Ford would be so stupid as to allow engine fumes into the interior.....if so, buy a honda.

Quick Reply: i know this has been beat to death (sound tube)