2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 Mustang GT500 for $30k.... Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/13, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The GT500 buddy, its still a baby with 6K on it... On top of that its a great collector, and a monster truly! GT500 for 30K is a steal!
Old 3/19/13, 06:40 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Originally Posted by Mo.karney
Are you guys getting snow currently? I think I might have to wait on deciding which car to get until I know where I will be going to college. If its California, I think I can spring for the Mustang.
Yes, we did get snow AGAIN today! lol Man, I am so sick of it. I hate as is.
I agree if you go to California, without question, the Mustang is the way to go. Either way,...it's your decision, but good to hear other people's view on this.
Good luck man.
Old 3/19/13, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I sold my 325xi for the mustang. Mine was out of warranty and was constantly in the shop. I've enjoyed owning the mustang a lot more, just because it was so much more fun to drive than my auto bimmer. I basically learned stick on my mustang, it was easier than I thought it would be. I'm young too, but a GT500 is a lot different than a 2010 GT. If you can afford it, go for it! Be careful though!
Old 3/20/13, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Our 328i 2007 BMW jsut hit 100K and boy does it cost for repairs. Done the 100K Tune ( spark plugs ) and dealer quoted almost 800... I did it for 50 on plugs + 100 ( unexpected coil boot issues ripping ) and not to mention the day i went to pick up my new MUSTANG the BMWs power steering pump just failed... 1500 repair. Luckily i found a used pump from a totaled BMW. The BMW tech said you got to be rich to own these cars once the WARRANTY goes...
Old 3/20/13, 01:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Studly_Studright
I sold my 325xi for the mustang. Mine was out of warranty and was constantly in the shop. I've enjoyed owning the mustang a lot more, just because it was so much more fun to drive than my auto bimmer. I basically learned stick on my mustang, it was easier than I thought it would be. I'm young too, but a GT500 is a lot different than a 2010 GT. If you can afford it, go for it! Be careful though!
Love your stang buddy... what kind of rims are those? Its a great stance, what suspensions are you using?
Old 3/20/13, 02:06 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
No question about it to get a insane car like that for over 10k less than its worth. Only thing I say is buy a beater for winter and college driving! You will need to have a spare car.
THIS.
Old 3/20/13, 02:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Studly_Studright
Originally Posted by GBStang13
Our 328i 2007 BMW jsut hit 100K and boy does it cost for repairs. Done the 100K Tune ( spark plugs ) and dealer quoted almost 800... I did it for 50 on plugs + 100 ( unexpected coil boot issues ripping ) and not to mention the day i went to pick up my new MUSTANG the BMWs power steering pump just failed... 1500 repair. Luckily i found a used pump from a totaled BMW. The BMW tech said you got to be rich to own these cars once the WARRANTY goes...

Mine still has the warranty for quite a while. It has it until late 2014 and currently my car has around 17k miles....

I tried driving a manual Subaru my friend has... There is a learning curve and at first the car was rather jerky, I am so used to using just my right foot, I have to train myself to use my left for the clutch. I have the shifting part down and he said I was shifting at the right RPMs but I still cannot quite down**** when Iam approaching a red light. He slows down using neutral and says I should do the same but I am not sure. I tried downshifting into each gear from 4th to 3rd to 2nd and then to first but I hit the red light while in 3rd or 2nd gear, so I need to slow down faster. Overall, not too bad....
Old 3/20/13, 03:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

No real right or wrong way to downshift when slowing down. I usually just leave it in gear and slow down until I get down to around 25, and then just push the clutch in and coast to a complete stop. If its going to be a long light ill sit in neutral. If its going to be a quick light ill stick it in first and wait. The Shelby or boss or mustang GT will be easier to get going smoothly compared to the Subaru. The only thing you have to decide is if a manual is what you want to drive.
Old 3/20/13, 05:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by conv_stang
No real right or wrong way to downshift when slowing down. I usually just leave it in gear and slow down until I get down to around 25, and then just push the clutch in and coast to a complete stop. If its going to be a long light ill sit in neutral. If its going to be a quick light ill stick it in first and wait. The Shelby or boss or mustang GT will be easier to get going smoothly compared to the Subaru. The only thing you have to decide is if a manual is what you want to drive.

So say you are in 4th gear doing about 50ish.... You see the red light, drop down to 2nd/3rd gear, then just depress the clutch and coast to a stop and sit in neutral? I was told to just pop it into neutral and just coast towards the light and then brake. Then pop into first with the clutch depressed when you are ready to go....
Old 3/20/13, 05:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Either way. If I'm moving I always keep it in gear and just hold the clutch in to coast. Just in case someone cuts you off or something or you have to make a maneuver. It's easier just to let the clutch out then pick a gear, move the shifter and then let the clutch out
Old 3/20/13, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

i down shift, coast in neutral. i match the rpm's when i am downshifting... manual is all sorts a fun. For example sometimes when i see a red light that i know will change to green, i downshift slowly while applying more brake then then the clutch from 4th,3rd, 2nd and soon light goes i am already ready to take off or continue driving. Sometimes if i am going on the freeway and i need to overtake, i press on the clutch drop a gear slightly press on gas to match rpm and then release clutch and bam i am gone... Sometimes i just drop it in neutral if light just turns red and i know i will be stopping.

Hope that helps..

Last edited by GBStang13; 3/20/13 at 06:11 PM.
Old 3/20/13, 06:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
You're not supposed to coast in neutral, keeps the car out of gear (obviously) and reduces the control over the car that the driver has...however, realistically people do it all the time in a manual. It gets old going from 4th to 2nd to 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th again every time the light is red. Having said that, with a GT I would be tempted to use compression braking from time to time, but not with the GT500. The clutch/drivetrain on that is far more expensive to replace than the brakes are, so I use the brakes to slow the Shelby down. This usually means I stay in high gear until shortly before the stop where I shift into neutral and coast to a stop. If the light changes before I come to a stop, I just shift into the appropriate gear.
Old 3/20/13, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
You're not supposed to coast in neutral, keeps the car out of gear (obviously) and reduces the control over the car that the driver has...however, realistically people do it all the time in a manual. It gets old going from 4th to 2nd to 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th again every time the light is red. Having said that, with a GT I would be tempted to use compression braking from time to time, but not with the GT500. The clutch/drivetrain on that is far more expensive to replace than the brakes are, so I use the brakes to slow the Shelby down. This usually means I stay in high gear until shortly before the stop where I shift into neutral and coast to a stop. If the light changes before I come to a stop, I just shift into the appropriate gear.
I agree with you, i dont even let the clutch touch until stop. I sometimes do it, but not engine braking. I brake first then when it hit about 1k RPM I then shift down without really using up the clutch but coasting in neutral is the best.