2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 Mustang GT500 for $30k.... Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/13, 05:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 Mustang GT500 for $30k.... Should I do it?

Alright, so I got accepted to quite of few top colleges in the country so to celebrate one of my dad's best friends is willing to sell me his 2011 Mustang GT500 for $30,000.

The car has been meticulously owned and has never seen snow since he is one of those people that worships their car, it only has 6000 miles on it. He is getting a 2013 so he's been looking to get rid of it! It has everything I wanted and then some. It has the Electronics Package which is a must for me, but I believe it also has the SVT Performance Package as well.

I have been looking to get a Mustang in the spring and I am about to place an order for a 2014 Mustang GT C/S with Electronics Package and auto transmission.

I have never driven a manual and have very little knowledge of driving a manual so that is the sole reason holding me back from getting the GT500...

The other option I have is getting a 2013 BMW 335Xi with the tech pack, cold weather and so on for $42,500, but its an automatic and identical to the car I own currently....

I know there will be bias towards getting the GT500, but I would like some input if you can pick between them. I live in Nebraska where winter is a ***** so I really have my doubts about the Mustang since it'll be my daily driver.... My current car is a 2011 BMW 328Xi (Xi = AWD).

Last edited by Mo.karney; 3/18/13 at 08:12 PM.
Old 3/18/13, 05:30 PM
GT Member

These are pictures of a similar car, only difference being, the gt500 I am considering has a black 8 ball instead of the white shift ****.
Attached Thumbnails I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 Mustang GT500 for k.... Should I do it?-02.jpg   I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 Mustang GT500 for k.... Should I do it?-05.jpg   I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 Mustang GT500 for k.... Should I do it?-15.jpg   I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 Mustang GT500 for k.... Should I do it?-826427508.jpg  
Old 3/18/13, 05:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow those are some tough choices. But also a great deal ahead of you. If you plan on keeping it forever I would probably get the gt500 (possibly either way) just solely to have a collectible. But as your already looking to give up your 2011 Maybe the 2014 is a better option and still an amazing car. Also considering your in Alaska black might not be the color you want. White gtcs are my favorite, they look stunning
Old 3/18/13, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
This is in the end, your decision, but its a great deal, so much car for 30 grand.
Personally I don't see how he can sell this car for 30 grand, when he can get 40+ in trade in, unless money comes easy.

Learning manual is not hard, but learning it on a gt500 might be tricky in the beginning. In Europe almost everyone does it, from teens to grandpas, so its not rocket science.
Old 3/18/13, 05:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
Wow those are some tough choices. But also a great deal ahead of you. If you plan on keeping it forever I would probably get the gt500 (possibly either way) just solely to have a collectible. But as your already looking to give up your 2011 Maybe the 2014 is a better option and still an amazing car. Also considering your in Alaska black might not be the color you want. White gtcs are my favorite, they look stunning
I am Nebraska, not Alaska. It's bad here, but not as bad as Alaska... I most likely won't stay in Nebraska. I've mainly got colleges on the east coast but there are few where snow is more scarce like Stanford...

The main reason I am willing to give up my '11 Beemer is because I didn't really want it in the first place. It was used to bribe me from not ordering a 2013 C/S.... I like the car but it's just kinda geared towards older people. It's a sedan not a coupe....

I actually saw a 2013 Performance White C/S in person and it is gorgeous. The Black C/S is just as good looking....
Old 3/18/13, 05:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
This is in the end, your decision, but its a great deal, so much car for 30 grand.
Personally I don't see how he can sell this car for 30 grand, when he can get 40+ in trade in, unless money comes easy.

Learning manual is not hard, but learning it on a gt500 might be tricky in the beginning. In Europe almost everyone does it, from teens to grandpas, so its not rocket science.

KBB puts it at $40 to $42 for it, but Mike and my dad have been friends for a long time and run a company together and he has a tendency to buy extravagant gifts for me and my sister.
Old 3/18/13, 06:02 PM
MD1
GT Member

You're a very fortunate guy to have your parents buy you cars like that at your age.

If you don't know how to drive stick, I wouldn't advise learning on a car such as GT500.

Instead, pick up a cheaper manual car, learn from your mistakes on that one, then progress.
Old 3/18/13, 06:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MD1
You're a very fortunate guy to have your parents buy you cars like that at your age.

If you don't know how to drive stick, I wouldn't advise learning on a car such as GT500.

Instead, pick up a cheaper manual car, learn from your mistakes on that one, then progress.
I paid $22k towards my current car. I have to pay the other $22k eventually... I can pay for it, I just don't and instead have my money in stocks. No doubt, I have to practice driving a manual on another car... I definitely do not want to damage the mustang.

Last edited by Mo.karney; 3/18/13 at 06:13 PM.
Old 3/18/13, 06:37 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
If you are going to be driving in bad weather, i.e. winter driving, you should probably get another AWD car or truck. That is not going to be a fun car to drive in the snow. It snows a lot on the east coast, believe me, I live in MA.
GOOD LUCK!
Old 3/18/13, 06:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
If you are going to be driving in bad weather, i.e. winter driving, you should probably get another AWD car or truck. That is not going to be a fun car to drive in the snow. It snows a lot on the east coast, believe me, I live in MA.
GOOD LUCK!
Are you guys getting snow currently? I think I might have to wait on deciding which car to get until I know where I will be going to college. If its California, I think I can spring for the Mustang.
Old 3/18/13, 06:59 PM
Banned

please drop the bimmer. If you lived in Washington DC you'd understand. Every single pretencious **** in this city has a 3-series, a C-Class, or a Prius. I almost went the route of getting a used M3. Then I realized that there were FOUR 3-series cars in my parking lot, and two c-class merks and this was a company of under 200 at the time, and the majority were more of the blue collar 20-something type. Even my lowly GT made their choices look poor.
Old 3/18/13, 07:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Buy the car.
Old 3/18/13, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I almost bought a BMW 135i certified, But they wanted more for that used BMW for what my new factory ordered Mustang cost.. When I went back to tell the sales guy and get my deposit back I told him I was getting a new Mustang instead of the BMW.. I asked him what the BMW had that the Mustang didn't and I maybe would re-consider.. his response "well its says BMW" needless to say I walked.. Driving stick is easy if you don't over think it. My suggestion for anyone who is going to learn stick is to ride enough times with someone and shift for them for a while to where the gears feel natural for you.. Once you get in the drivers seat you have to just think about the clutch, gas and brake and no thought on the shifter. I have taught countless people to drive stick, In fact I sold a car once and the new buyer did not know stick and within 1 hour of my teaching she drove it home like a pro..
Old 3/18/13, 07:50 PM
MD1
GT Member

Originally Posted by GreenCars
I almost bought a BMW 135i certified, But they wanted more for that used BMW for what my new factory ordered Mustang cost.. When I went back to tell the sales guy and get my deposit back I told him I was getting a new Mustang instead of the BMW.. I asked him what the BMW had that the Mustang didn't and I maybe would re-consider.. his response "well its says BMW" needless to say I walked.. Driving stick is easy if you don't over think it. My suggestion for anyone who is going to learn stick is to ride enough times with someone and shift for them for a while to where the gears feel natural for you.. Once you get in the drivers seat you have to just think about the clutch, gas and brake and no thought on the shifter. I have taught countless people to drive stick, In fact I sold a car once and the new buyer did not know stick and within 1 hour of my teaching she drove it home like a pro..
How would you know she drove it home like a pro if you didn't go with her?

Also, learning how to drive stick in the passenger side teaches you how to drive stick in a RHD country.
Old 3/18/13, 08:08 PM
GT Member

LOL This is not even a question. You are BRAGGING.
Old 3/18/13, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GreenCars
Just need to find someone with a manual car that can teach me. In defense of Beemers everywhere, an 135i is the same as a V4 Mustang... Its a joke...
Old 3/18/13, 08:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
please drop the bimmer. If you lived in Washington DC you'd understand. Every single pretencious **** in this city has a 3-series, a C-Class, or a Prius. I almost went the route of getting a used M3. Then I realized that there were FOUR 3-series cars in my parking lot, and two c-class merks and this was a company of under 200 at the time, and the majority were more of the blue collar 20-something type. Even my lowly GT made their choices look poor.

I understand that in places Beemers are common. I did not buy mine to stand out but rather for all the features it has that the Mustang does not...

You Danielle with your thread on changing the grille of 2013s was the reason I even contemplated getting a 2013 V6 Premium and then switching out the grilles to the black one found on the C/S.
Old 3/18/13, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mo.karney

Just need to find someone with a manual car that can teach me. In defense of Beemers everywhere, an 135i is the same as a V4 Mustang... Its a joke...
Haha. The fact that you called a mustang a v4 is a joke.
Old 3/18/13, 08:43 PM

Don't let not knowing how to drive a manual stop you. I had never driven a manual car before my mustang. If you are intelligent, which I'm guessing you are :P, and understand how the transmission and engine work, you'll be fine.

When I got my mustang delivered to my house (purchased from out of state dealer), I had to have the delivery truck driver take me home, which was a little embarrassing lol. But after 1 hour behind the wheel by myself in a parking lot at 2am... I was out driving until 5am lol.

I used to drive a corolla before the mustang, so when I jumped to the mustang alot of things were new to me, like manual vs auto, rwd vs fwd, high vs low horsepower car. Just be patient and respect the car before pushing it, or you'll get yourself in trouble.

Oh and you can drive the mustang in the snow, as long as the snow is not too deep. Just slap on some winter tires and you'll be ok; you'll have more car control with the manual transmission and all the electronics.

Name:  IMAG0203.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  87.9 KB

Also something to consider, if you plan on working on the car yourself. Getting a hold of mustang parts may be cheaper and easier than BMW parts, which is one of the main reasons why I didn't settle for the e92 m3.

Sleep over your decision and think of your future.
Old 3/18/13, 08:44 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
SHELBY SHELBY SHELBY. There, I've said it.

Quick Reply: I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 Mustang GT500 for $30k.... Should I do it?