2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I have my salesman an ultimatum today

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/11, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have my salesman an ultimatum today

I'm sick of waiting around for a car because Ford cant get their act together. Its completely insulting that when I order a car in the middle of December and its May and I still don't have it. Even the dealer that I ordered it from has a 2012 sitting in the lot! Mine is supposidly sitting in a rail-yard in Minneapolis but who really knows. I was told that I will have it on last Saturday, but now they say they don't know when I'll get it. I told them if I don't have it this week they can keep it and I will leave Ford and its ****ty customer service behind. Its unbelievable that a company would treat its customers like this and to make matters worse they said they weren't going to honor the coupon I had received and had expired due them not being able to get me the car in a timely manor! The dealer said they would eat the cost of it, but they shouldn't have to. If I call about it ford should say, we're extremely sorry about the delays, we'd be more than happy to extend it, but instead the prefer to continue jerking me around. I truly hope they can actually get me the car this week otherwise that will be the end to me ever considering buying a ford again.
Old 5/3/11, 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand your frustration, and can share in it a bit. My car was supposed to come last Saturday, and didn't as well.

But you cannot blame your dealer for that issue. They do not have control over how or when cars get shipped. All they can do is call repeatedly and try to move things along, but that only goes so far.

I too have been waiting for a while, not as long as you, but 13 weeks for me as of Monday. I called FCS today, and they basically told me they don't know where my car is or when it will arrive. Frustrating, but nothing the FCS rep who is not in flat rock can do.

The biggest issue I can assume we are seeing is that with the price of gas, transport companies do not want to leave without a full load, which means waiting for other orders that are going to the same location as us.

And to be honest, your dealer probably will not care if you leave it. They will just turn around and sell it to someone else who comes onto the lot.

My advice is to just be patient, and wait it out. It is coming, and soon. Don't wait all this time to leave the deal, and then it comes a week after your so called ultimatum. Once you get the car, you will completely forget about how much the wait sucked.
Old 5/3/11, 06:11 PM
GTR Member

Oh but you can blaim the dealer for this situation.

They obviously did not have any available Mustang order allocation at the time the OP ordered or were holding back ordering the car for some other reason.

Many others have ordered and been delivered their cars within the same time span.
Old 5/3/11, 06:22 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you are right. you should not buy a ford. I think they are doing just to make you angry. It has never happened with any other auto maker ever. I think you should look into a honda.
Old 5/3/11, 06:33 PM
Cobra Member

What options do you even have for it? If your sick of waiting why not just find a 2012 or even a 2011 in your area.
Old 5/3/11, 06:48 PM

What color did you order? My dealer said they are backlogged on black and red Mustangs production.

Although 5 months of waiting is ridiculous no matter what.
Old 5/3/11, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Grabber Blue is also sorta rare to try and find one. The closest GB to my area was 500 miles away so thier might not be the color combo he wanted. Good luck and wait it out. From what I heard it will be worth it.
Old 5/3/11, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
let the dealer eat it or buy that 2012 off the lot.
Old 5/3/11, 08:03 PM

Its black with lava red interior MCA edition. Not sure how the allocations work, but the dealer did say that my order number is all 0's, not sure what that means. It somehow went from the status of on the truck arriving Saturday to stuck in a rail-yard no eta and I really don't know how that happens but I'm really not willing to wait an indefinite amount of time when I've already waited this long. Its costing me money now, i finalized the loan on it and got insurance because they said it was on the way. I understand its not the dealers fault, but there is a point where I need to draw the line and say enough if enough.
Old 5/3/11, 08:05 PM

Also I guess the dealer doesn't have to eat it, the Manager told me to let him know if I don't want it because they can cancel it and then it has to get shipped back to ford for them to deal with.
Old 5/3/11, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mattyb08
Its black with lava red interior MCA edition. Not sure how the allocations work, but the dealer did say that my order number is all 0's, not sure what that means. It somehow went from the status of on the truck arriving Saturday to stuck in a rail-yard no eta and I really don't know how that happens but I'm really not willing to wait an indefinite amount of time when I've already waited this long. Its costing me money now, i finalized the loan on it and got insurance because they said it was on the way. I understand its not the dealers fault, but there is a point where I need to draw the line and say enough if enough.

Well first off you couldn't actually order a 2012 in december. You may of been able to put it in the order bank but it wasn't going to be scheduled at that point.
Secondly, obviously the dealer put a higher priority on hos own stock unit then he did on yours.
Third, if you already have a loan signed on a car you haven't even seen I don't even know what to say to that. Let alone how do you expect to walk away from it at this point??
i'm sure your frustrated as I would be as well but you can't blame it on Ford
because your dealer wasn't straight up with you.
Old 5/3/11, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Also I guess the dealer doesn't have to eat it, the Manager told me to let him know if I don't want it because they can cancel it and then it has to get shipped back to ford for them to deal with.

No way. Ford isn't taking the car back. Funniest thing I heard in a while. The dealer ordered it, it doesn't matter if it's in a retail customers name or not. When some units were really hot we would order everything in a customers name with the hopes Ford would pick up our order since it "appeared" to be sold. Either your dealer is truly playing you or your trying to play all of us..??
Old 5/3/11, 08:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Ford doesn't control the rail yard. That's transporter issue. Staging cars (as in rail cars) and passing them through the proper docking stations can take quite some time believe it or not. Congestion, clogged lanes, proper docking and check points to prevent a damaged load, an depending which city it goes to... all strain the system. Not to mention there's 100's of compnaies utilizing those same lanes.

Be patient.

I waited 4 months on my job 2 2010- And the wait is worth it.

Does it suck. Yes. Will you survive? Maybe. Can you speed the process up by calling Ford 12.83 times per hour. No. But it will all go out the window as soon as you drive home in it.

Giving your dealer an ultimatum? IDK- I'd retract it.
Don't shot the messenger...
Old 5/3/11, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by going for broke
Third, if you already have a loan signed on a car you haven't even seen I don't even know what to say to that. Let alone how do you expect to walk away from it at this point??
How else do you get a car without getting the loan first? The dealer isn't exactly going to let me drive it home and send him a check in the mail. Its not like he said it might be her this week, he said it is on a truck on its way here. I don't see the problem getting the loan changed to a different dealer, I just need to tell them the dealer lied and they dont know when the car is coming so i'm getting something else, here is what it is. Also its not like they said, well we can order a 2011 but they're going to start taking orders for 2012's soon, I didn't have a choice and it's implied that they're going to start making the new ones soon if they stop taking orders for the current model year, its not like the need to retool the whole factory!
Old 5/3/11, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

How else do you get a car without getting the loan first? The dealer isn't exactly going to let me drive it home and send him a check in the mail.
Ummmm, you look at it, inspect for deficiencies, test drive it, make sure you love it......THEN you do the paperwork. That is the process most of us are used to I think. When the dealer has your downpayment/trade in, that is the commitment you make so that they KNOW the first check will be in the mail.

I am not trying to be a jerk, I am assuming now that this is your first order or new car purchase.
Old 5/3/11, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

How else do you get a car without getting the loan first? The dealer isn't exactly going to let me drive it home and send him a check in the mail. Its not like he said it might be her this week, he said it is on a truck on its way here. I don't see the problem getting the loan changed to a different dealer, I just need to tell them the dealer lied and they dont know when the car is coming so i'm getting something else, here is what it is. Also its not like they said, well we can order a 2011 but they're going to start taking orders for 2012's soon, I didn't have a choice and it's implied that they're going to start making the new ones soon if they stop taking orders for the current model year, its not like the need to retool the whole factory!
I too ordered my car but didn't sign any paper until the car arrived. Who told you needed to get a loan first? I got pre-approved for a loan but that is actually different than getting a loan and start making payments before even driving the car. I didn't know that was even possible
Old 5/3/11, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm sick of waiting around for a car because Ford cant get their act together. Its completely insulting that when I order a car in the middle of December and its May and I still don't have it. Even the dealer that I ordered it from has a 2012 sitting in the lot! Mine is supposidly sitting in a rail-yard in Minneapolis but who really knows. I was told that I will have it on last Saturday, but now they say they don't know when I'll get it. I told them if I don't have it this week they can keep it and I will leave Ford and its ****ty customer service behind. Its unbelievable that a company would treat its customers like this and to make matters worse they said they weren't going to honor the coupon I had received and had expired due them not being able to get me the car in a timely manor! The dealer said they would eat the cost of it, but they shouldn't have to. If I call about it ford should say, we're extremely sorry about the delays, we'd be more than happy to extend it, but instead the prefer to continue jerking me around. I truly hope they can actually get me the car this week otherwise that will be the end to me ever considering buying a ford again.
1. Your dealer can log into Ford's vehicle visibility web site to find out the status of your order. My salesperson ran the report and sent me scans every week or so when my car was on order. Ask for a copy of the report and see the status for yourself. When you get the report, you can see everything back to the time the dealer entered your order.

2. Your dealer is doing the right thing by honoring the expired rebate. They're trying to earn repeat business. Maybe Ford should be the ones to eat the rebate; but, who cares so long as you get it? They're betting that treating you right will earn them future business.

Last edited by coffeejolts; 5/3/11 at 09:46 PM. Reason: missed something
Old 5/3/11, 10:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I order all the Mustangs for the dealership I work for. 2012 Mustang order banks opened in mid-November 2010. V6 Mustangs just aren't getting scheduled and built in big quantities. I have about a dozen '12 V6's ordered since December/January and only one has arrived (it was a black MCA/PP coupe for a customer). We've received several '12 V8's already (a pair of GT's, a Boss 302, and a GT500) and several more V8's are scheduled and/or built & in transit. None of the other V6's are even scheduled yet. Very frustrating. We've been trying to get V6's from other dealers in our region, but they're not getting them either, so it appears to be systemic, not dealer specific.

Allow me to speculate a little, but only if you understand that this is only a guess and not based on any insider info. The 3.7L engine is used in several other Ford/Lincoln vehicles - not just the Mustang - and some of those vehicles are quite popular right now selling in bigger quantities than expected. Coincidentally, those other vehicles are more expensive with bigger profit margins. So, if Ford has a limited amount of 3.7's to go around, perhaps they're using them where they can make more money????????? Again, just speculation.
Old 5/3/11, 11:29 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian

Allow me to speculate a little, but only if you understand that this is only a guess and not based on any insider info. The 3.7L engine is used in several other Ford/Lincoln vehicles - not just the Mustang - and some of those vehicles are quite popular right now selling in bigger quantities than expected. Coincidentally, those other vehicles are more expensive with bigger profit margins. So, if Ford has a limited amount of 3.7's to go around, perhaps they're using them where they can make more money????????? Again, just speculation.
I'd say that's **** good speculation. IIRC, hasn't that happened in the past with V-8 Mustangs when they needed to produce more engines for the hot selling F-150?
Old 5/4/11, 12:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is very confusing to me, I ordered my car and it took almost 5 months to get it and I did not do any paperwork until the car arrived. I had pre approved loan waiting but no cash was exchanged and nothing was signed until the car was inspected thoroughly by myself and the dealer and only then did I sign for the car. If they made you sign papers and make a down payment then I would seriously consider another dealer.

I hope it all works out for you at this point, it was crazy waiting for it to come in and when it finally did I was on vacation! So it sat for an extra 4 days until I got back. I love the dealer I work with and maybe they are not all that good...

Quick Reply: I have my salesman an ultimatum today