Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I Got the Hood Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/15, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I Got the Hood Corrosion

So I'm washing the car this morning and I notice that I have a few small patches of the hood corrosion on the bottom side of my hood, both sides. I took it to the dealership and they took photos to be submitted to Ford for approval. The body shop manager felt certain Ford would cover it. He said that he's never seen a Mustang with the issue, mostly just Taurus' and Explorers. I told him to get on line and look at this forum because it's a common issue.
Old 3/17/15, 01:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry to hear that. :-( good luck with the repair.
Old 3/17/15, 08:40 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...tering-535700/

More information here, and options as well
Old 3/17/15, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks critical. If Ford refuses to cover mine I guess I'll just be done buying Mustangs.
Old 3/17/15, 09:57 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I brought mine in I spoke with a real nice guy, said Ford would for sure cover it. Sure enough they did and even paid for a rental car for me. Best of luck.
Old 3/18/15, 12:22 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
So I'm washing the car this morning and I notice that I have a few small patches of the hood corrosion on the bottom side of my hood, both sides. I took it to the dealership and they took photos to be submitted to Ford for approval. The body shop manager felt certain Ford would cover it. He said that he's never seen a Mustang with the issue, mostly just Taurus' and Explorers. I told him to get on line and look at this forum because it's a common issue.
Glad to learn your dealer is looking into this for you, 3point7. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 3/18/15, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Will do Deysha.
Old 3/18/15, 02:54 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Will do Deysha.
Great! Thanks, 3point7!

Deysha
Old 3/25/15, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

So after a week and a half of hearing nothing from my dealership I had to call them back today. They asked me if I could bring the car in on Monday. No problem with that but then I asked them about a loaner car to drive while they have my car for a couple of weeks. No loaner cars, they say. I have to provide my own rental car. If I had a good opinion of my dealership to begin with that might not make me as angry but the fact that I have had nothing but crappy service from my dealership only added to the anger when they informed me that I have to pay for a loaner car out of my pocket for a problem created by Ford. If I was going to sink 3 to 5 hundred dollars in rental car fees I would just put that money towards another hood. I sure as hell won't be taking my car to the dealership so long as this is their policy and I'm going to go down their in person and have a talk about it with some managers.

Frankly I think I'm just done with new cars in general. They aren't worth the money you pay and then you get to deal with dealerships and corporations that don't stand behind their product and give you crappy service.
Old 3/25/15, 02:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
My car only stays in the shop for 2 days when my dealership does the hood repair.
Old 3/25/15, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
My car only stays in the shop for 2 days when my dealership does the hood repair.
No way that would happen here. The dealership body shop is very busy all the time and my car would sit and wait until they could get to it. I figure at least two weeks. Then of course there is the very real possibility that even after it's fixed the corrosion will just come back in another spot.
Old 3/25/15, 05:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Yeah same, mine was only 2 days as well. Not sure why they would need the 2 weeks?
Old 3/25/15, 05:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealership should be able to give you an estimated timeline. Two weeks is a bit excessive.
Old 3/25/15, 05:42 PM
V6 Member

Do you have pics... I would like to compare to what I think I am seeing on my pony. If I have it then Im just going to get an after market hood and be done with it.

Last edited by Speedwagon; 3/25/15 at 05:43 PM.
Old 3/25/15, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Probably because it's no longer just the hood.

Its not how long it actually takes to repair. It's how long it takes before they get to work on the car. The body shops here do not believe in taking a car in and then getting to work on it the next day. You leave your car there and they get to it when they get to it.

This car has been exceptionally well cared for and garage kept since the day I bought it. There is no excuse for this kind of nonsense Ford and there is no excuse for not providing a loaner car be it for one day or fourteen days. I could see it if this was a problem that I caused. This is a problem that Ford caused and they won't stand behind their product by providing a loaner while they fix their problem.

Last edited by 3point7; 3/25/15 at 05:57 PM.
Old 3/25/15, 10:16 PM
V6 Member

Probably because it's no longer just the hood.

Its not how long it actually takes to repair. It's how long it takes before they get to work on the car. The body shops here do not believe in taking a car in and then getting to work on it the next day. You leave your car there and they get to it when they get to it.

This car has been exceptionally well cared for and garage kept since the day I bought it. There is no excuse for this kind of nonsense Ford and there is no excuse for not providing a loaner car be it for one day or fourteen days. I could see it if this was a problem that I caused. This is a problem that Ford caused and they won't stand behind their product by providing a loaner while they fix their problem.
The philosophy of "leaving your car there and getting to it when they get to it," is such poor stupidity and logic I cannot believe it. I can see them saying "Hey it might take us one or two more days depending on some of the repairs we have going on." But not being able to anticipate or predict a simple repair to me is unbelievable and horrible for business. Anyway rant over.

Ford should 100% be standing behind this corrosion. I don't think I have heard of anyone else NOT getting a rental car so I don't know why they wouldn't give you one when clearly they are at fault. The guy at my dealership said that Ford had a ton of problems with their aluminum hoods but overall their paint contamination. Even when he was looking over my hood he said "I would be very very surprised if Ford did not cover this without giving you a rental."

You are in a tough spot man, I wish you the best and keep us updated.
Old 3/25/15, 11:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 50HHHHH
The philosophy of "leaving your car there and getting to it when they get to it," is such poor stupidity and logic I cannot believe it. I can see them saying "Hey it might take us one or two more days depending on some of the repairs we have going on." But not being able to anticipate or predict a simple repair to me is unbelievable and horrible for business. Anyway rant over. Ford should 100% be standing behind this corrosion. I don't think I have heard of anyone else NOT getting a rental car so I don't know why they wouldn't give you one when clearly they are at fault. The guy at my dealership said that Ford had a ton of problems with their aluminum hoods but overall their paint contamination. Even when he was looking over my hood he said "I would be very very surprised if Ford did not cover this without giving you a rental." You are in a tough spot man, I wish you the best and keep us updated.
Forget getting a rental, lots of us just want Ford to fix the **** hoods at no cost.
Old 3/26/15, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Can you take it to another dealer? One thing to remember is that the dealerships are not owned by Ford, so what one service department says is not an across the board statement. If you can to another dealer, they might take care of you, get you in and out in 2 days and provide a rental. All on Ford's dime for warranty.
Old 3/26/15, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good news, the dealership has agreed to provide a rental car while they have my car. So it all worked out for the better in the end. I drop the car off Monday morning.
Old 3/26/15, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 50HHHHH
The philosophy of "leaving your car there and getting to it when they get to it," is such poor stupidity and logic I cannot believe it. I can see them saying "Hey it might take us one or two more days depending on some of the repairs we have going on." But not being able to anticipate or predict a simple repair to me is unbelievable and horrible for business. Anyway rant over.

Ford should 100% be standing behind this corrosion. I don't think I have heard of anyone else NOT getting a rental car so I don't know why they wouldn't give you one when clearly they are at fault. The guy at my dealership said that Ford had a ton of problems with their aluminum hoods but overall their paint contamination. Even when he was looking over my hood he said "I would be very very surprised if Ford did not cover this without giving you a rental."

You are in a tough spot man, I wish you the best and keep us updated.
I'm not a fan of it myself but it is the reality when dealing with as many vehicles that this dealership deals with on a daily basis. They take a vehicle in and it gets put in line with all the other vehicles. The parking lot their never has less than about 30 to 40 vehicles all waiting for various repairs ranging from minor stuff like my hood to major collision damage.

On the plus side the dealership has agreed to give me a loaner car while they have my Mustang so I'm happy about that and glad they are doing the right thing. The woman informed me that it would not be a Mustang and I told her that was fine. I'm not picky about what they give me to drive so long as I have some way to get myself back and forth to work while they have my car.

I'll be sure to take some after pictures and post them here when I get the car back.

Quick Reply: I Got the Hood Corrosion