Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

HOTT Oil Dipstick on the 5.0!!

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/10, 07:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOTT Oil Dipstick on the 5.0!!

Didn't think it was such a big deal until driving a 2010 for a couple days last week, but the 2011 5.0 dipstick is a diabolical design.

In 2010 it's located on the side as well, but has a nice little extension raising the dipstickhandle to a nice height above the engine.

On the 2011, it's difficult if not impossible to remove the dipstick from a hot engine (in this weather it's the worst!!). The handle is as small as possible and located as close as possible to the head and exhaust header. The strut tower brace makes access even more difficult! Seriously, you need asbestos gloves to check the oil on a hot day on a gas-station stop. How did they get everything else about this engine so well done, but overlooked this detail?!?

Aftermarket, please give us some alternatives!!

Last edited by Double-EDad; 7/24/10 at 07:52 PM.
Old 7/24/10, 09:14 PM
GT Member

Old 7/24/10, 10:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
Thanks but yeah, without much storage I don't exactly have Mechanix gloves handy every time I stop to fill up for gas. I call B/S on that - you shouldn't have to worry about burns when checking oil.
Old 7/24/10, 10:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Thanks but yeah, without much storage I don't exactly have Mechanix gloves handy every time I stop to fill up for gas. I call B/S on that - you shouldn't have to worry about burns when checking oil.
Well, you COULD throw them in the trunk, but I agree its tedious. However, you're not getting a good oil level reading anyways if you check after its been running because so much oil has been pumped all over the engine. You dont need to check every time you get gas. Wait for the engine to cool down, and check it once every few weeks if you're paranoid.
Old 7/24/10, 10:24 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, ya gotta love the position of the strut tower brace over the dip stick. You need something that's offset to the side (towards the front or rear of the engine), or something. Even w/o the brace, it's hot trying to get that sucker out of there!
Old 7/24/10, 10:41 PM
Cobra R Member

I was spoiled by my 2006 Accord V6. I opened the hood (with one hand - no prop rod, it had gas struts), and there was the oil dipstick right out front, easily accesible. On top of that it was the nice steel rod design, not the flat blade (interestingly IIRC my 1997 Expedition 5.4 had the steel rod dipstick too!). As a bonus, this design meant no chance of oil dripping on the painted fender since it was going across the front.

I usually wait until I finish pumping gas to check the oil, which nowadays with the specified water-thin 5W-20 oil is PLENTY of time to wait for it to drain back to the pan, especially at full operating temp.
Old 7/24/10, 10:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I was spoiled by my 2006 Accord V6. I opened the hood (with one hand - no prop rod, it had gas struts), and there was the oil dipstick right out front, easily accesible. On top of that it was the nice steel rod design, not the flat blade (interestingly IIRC my 1997 Expedition 5.4 had the steel rod dipstick too!). As a bonus, this design meant no chance of oil dripping on the painted fender since it was going across the front.

I usually wait until I finish pumping gas to check the oil, which nowadays with the specified water-thin 5W-20 oil is PLENTY of time to wait for it to drain back to the pan, especially at full operating temp.
You still dont need to check it every time you get gas. Or even when you get gas.
Old 7/24/10, 11:22 PM
Cobra R Member

OK, I found this photo caption and excellent article which explains the oil dipstick location & what drove it. With the short 2-year development timeline, they just didn't have time to refine it any further. I do agree this arrangement beats putting a dent in the exhaust header pipe:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_44.html

As for checking the oil level, I check about every time I fill up and also at random times in between in the garage. I realize I don't HAVE to do this, but this is a new car, and YOU NEVER KNOW. After a period of time, I may become more comfortable and trusting. In theory there should be no need to check oil level ever, I guess, what with the oil level sensor/alert.
Old 7/25/10, 06:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
You still dont need to check it every time you get gas. Or even when you get gas.

I agree. Waste of time. Unless you have found the level down before.
Old 7/25/10, 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the car is not leaking or burning it, where would the oil go ??

Both ways of oil loss are obvious if you pay attention (see or smell), so I seldom check oil level on cars now.

If properly maintained and driven, even after 10k miles there typically is no noticeable loss of oil on most modern cars with V6 or V8 engines. This has been the case at least ways on all the new Ford & Mopar vehicles I've had since 1994.

Doug
Old 7/25/10, 07:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You check your oil at every fill and randomly during the day? lol OCD
Old 7/25/10, 07:37 AM
GT Member

The 2011 GT dipstick is the second hotest of all my vehicles.

My '94 + '99 (These are virtually the same vehicle) Grand Wagoneer had the hotest dipstick. Way hotter than the GT.

My practice is to check at each fill-up.

On my '04 Cayenne Turbo it has both an electronic level and a dipstick. At each fill I would observe a very gradual decrease, until one day I wiped it clean, inserted it back and it reached the ADD mark.

When I started the engine the add oil light came on. Removing that small amount of oil from wiping the dipstick triggered the sensor.

When I observed that system respond the second time w/ identical results was the last time I checked the level on that vehicle.
Old 7/25/10, 07:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

you want to call BS on a ford design, why dont you call BS on not even giving a dipstick for the auto trans guys. Yeah we get the oil dipstick but by the ford manual we have to get under the car, by raising it evenly on all 4 corners and then stick our finger in a small hole and feel the level of the trans fluid.
Old 7/25/10, 08:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
you want to call BS on a ford design, why dont you call BS on not even giving a dipstick for the auto trans guys. Yeah we get the oil dipstick but by the ford manual we have to get under the car, by raising it evenly on all 4 corners and then stick our finger in a small hole and feel the level of the trans fluid.
LOL, even better was the procedure for checking the level of oil in the manual trans: the oil level should not be level with the bolt hole, but 1/2" LOWER!! Like we can stick a ruler in there too.

Apparently there are no worries b/c the experienced Ford guys have convinced me that the fluid levels never change.
Old 7/25/10, 10:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah my dealership said the fluid and filter should be good for well over 100,000 miles. Plus they say the drain bolt has a paint mark on it and if you take it off to check the fluid or try and mess with it in any way it would void my warranty on the trans if something happened.

Last edited by RedDragon777; 7/25/10 at 10:51 PM.
Old 7/25/10, 11:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is this thread for real?
Old 7/25/10, 11:31 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, are you ready?

Wait, wait for it...

Here it comes...

Check, the oil level you know, check it...

BEFORE YOU START THE CAR IN THE MORNING...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 7/25/10 at 11:36 PM.
Old 7/26/10, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Don't rag on the guy too hard for checking his oil, I've had to add oil to mine already. And there were no visible signs of leaking or burning either, so go figure.

Between fill ups...maybe a little excessive, but it's his pride and joy! Give the dude a break.
Old 1/24/11, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedDragon777
That's what I was afraid of... The Dodge Charger I just came out of DID have a fill tube for the Trans... but no dipstick?! You had to take the car to the dealer, where they could use a calibrated dipstick (?) and check it against the Trans. Temp with the Starscan tool!

So on this car they just gave up completely. Wonderful. I think I'll get a guage installed that can at least show me the Trans. Temp's so I know if it starts running hot. I had the Aeroforce Interceptor guages in the Charger and they were great!
Old 1/24/11, 02:03 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Check, the oil level you know, check it...

BEFORE YOU START THE CAR IN THE MORNING...
absolutely!

Quick Reply: HOTT Oil Dipstick on the 5.0!!