Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

HID Conversion Kit from StangMods

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/11, 11:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Conversion Kit from StangMods

I was wondering if anyone has bought the Dual-Beam HID Conversion Kit from StangMods.

http://www.stangmods.com/Mustang-HID...ge-p/00157.htm

The product description sounds pretty awesome, but was wondering if anyone has bough either the headlight kit or the headlight and foglight combo... any experiences, pros, cons, etc? How about the company itself... any good/bad things?

Also, if you upgraded your headlights to HID, what color did you choose?

Thanks for any/all help...
Old 1/31/11, 11:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, foglight HIDs. That is neat. I think that foglight HIDs are not going far enough though. I might want to make a baja stang mod with multiple foglights agross the grill all with HIDs. I am not going to stop there though. I am going to add a light bar across the roof with foglights across the top, all with HIDs. I might even try to figure out a way to wire some old stadium lights to the car, too. You know what they say; if some light is good, more is better.

In all seriousness though, I would probably wait for a kit that changes the actual reflectors, too. Just putting HIDs in the standard reflectors is not good IMO. I might want to match the color of the foglights to my HIDs with different color bulbs, not with HIDs, but that is something to consider.
Old 2/1/11, 12:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I hate you now. Why did you have to post this stupid light setup? Now I actually am considering getting HIDs for the foglights. Since I will have HIDs from the factory on my 2012 stang, the foglights could use some mod to make them match. I just can't help but grin when I think of how bright I can make everything with all that nice HID light . I do not think I would turn the foglights on much if I did that, but oh the power .
Old 2/1/11, 12:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I was looking for something like this too. I just want the foglight HID but then the guy above me does make sense about changing the actual reflectors too. I might just wait.
Old 2/1/11, 05:59 AM
Bullitt Member

fail.

this is just as bad as the L.E.D lower lip from americanmuscle.....
Old 2/1/11, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Illegal and dangerous. HID elements in reflectors designed for halogen bulbs will cause light scatter and glare that is dangerous. And I'd be very curious exactly how they manage both high beam and low beam from one HID element. It's not like halogen bulbs that have dual filaments. And it's not like true HID headlights that move the optics.
Old 2/1/11, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Illegal and dangerous. HID elements in reflectors designed for halogen bulbs will cause light scatter and glare that is dangerous. And I'd be very curious exactly how they manage both high beam and low beam from one HID element. It's not like halogen bulbs that have dual filaments. And it's not like true HID headlights that move the optics.
True, but the fog lights have the really neat Tim the toolman/tool time/home improvement cool ah ah ah factor. Really, what could be better than taking a light that was meant to not be way too bright and make them so bright that they blind everyone on the road. Oh yeaaah!!! Imagine using them in the fog. It could be so bright with all the light reflecting off the fog that it would feel like you died and went to heaven . You remember that bug commercial where the family turns the light up so bright that everyone has to wear really thick glasses and sunscreen? Now we can essentially do that to our mustangs . I think that next time you post, you should rethink the really cool factor of blindingly bright light.
Old 2/1/11, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Itravelalot
True, but the fog lights have the really neat Tim the toolman/tool time/home improvement cool ah ah ah factor. Really, what could be better than taking a light that was meant to not be way too bright and make them so bright that they blind everyone on the road. Oh yeaaah!!! Imagine using them in the fog. It could be so bright with all the light reflecting off the fog that it would feel like you died and went to heaven . You remember that bug commercial where the family turns the light up so bright that everyone has to wear really thick glasses and sunscreen? Now we can essentially do that to our mustangs . I think that next time you post, you should rethink the really cool factor of blindingly bright light.
Sorry, I will try to do better next time. Maybe I'm just getting too old for the cool factor.
Old 2/1/11, 11:58 AM
Cobra R Member

If all you're looking for is whiter light, just buy the $30 Hoen replacement bulbs. HID is overkill IMO.

OEM

Hoen
Old 2/1/11, 02:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sorry, I will try to do better next time. Maybe I'm just getting too old for the cool factor.

I am with him!
Old 2/1/11, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Gotta love this forum... thanks for all your input. I guess I'll just upgrade the bulbs for right now.

Was looking into the Silverstars for both, headlights and foglights... any other recommendations better than the Silverstars?

I already did some looking into Hella and PIAA, as I had Hella bulbs for years in my truck and was extremely happy with them, but they do not make the H13/9008 bulb... bummer!
Old 2/1/11, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silverstars are junk IMO. They burn out early and are far too expensive. had them in my bonneville and they were no brighter, maybe a bit whiter, but not worth it to replace every year.
Old 2/1/11, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't have this kit on my '11 GT, but I did buy the dual beam 8000k Stangmods kit for my '05. It definitely helped my visibility a lot. As a lot of people here said, they're way too bright to other people and glare a lot, but I honestly looked at mine time and time again at different angles and stuff to see how bright they were, and I can tell you they aren't half as obnoxious as say a 2010 Escalade. Maybe my eyes just handle it fine and it really is terrible for others, but I really don't think it's that bad. But like I said too, that was on an '05 not an '11.
As far as their service goes, they got me the kit quick, it was an easy install, and when one of my ballasts went out, they sent me another one for free immediately.
Old 2/1/11, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Silverstars are junk IMO. They burn out early and are far too expensive. had them in my bonneville and they were no brighter, maybe a bit whiter, but not worth it to replace every year.
Well what would you recommend instead? Not too many options with the H13/9008 bulbs for the headlights, and not too many matching options for the H10/9145 bulb either.

Recommendations???
Old 2/1/11, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Go with PIAA super whites or extreme whites

Silverstars are junk...they burn out in less than a year...way too overpriced!

Last edited by LLZuB; 2/1/11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 2/1/11, 08:28 PM
Cobra R Member

I have the Hoen Bulbs for fogs. It's not a 100% HID match but it's a solid piece and am very happy with it.

https://themustangsource.com/f783/my...3/#post5945397

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 2/1/11 at 08:30 PM.
Old 2/1/11, 11:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by LLZuB
. . . Silverstars are junk...they burn out in less than a year...
Now he tells me, after I just bought a pair for my wife's Camry!

However I'm not so sure about that short life prediction . . . the part number on the original bulbs in the Toyota was the same as the Silverstar Ultra's that I replaced them with . . . and the original lasted almost 5 years and over 100,000 miles. (only one of them burned out, the other was still working, replaced the pair)
Old 2/1/11, 11:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Now he tells me, after I just bought a pair for my wife's Camry!

However I'm not so sure about that short life prediction . . . the part number on the original bulbs in the Toyota was the same as the Silverstar Ultra's that I replaced them with . . . and the original lasted almost 5 years and over 100,000 miles. (only one of them burned out, the other was still working, replaced the pair)
From my experience they last 6-12 months.
Old 2/3/11, 04:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Okay.. I would love to go with PIAA and they one of their newest addition are 9008/H13 bulbs, however PIAA does NOT offer any H10/9145 bulbs.

I also considered going with Hoen, and they offer H10/9145 bulbs, but no 9008/H13 bulbs (I already contacted them... no go!).

Any other option, except "off-road only use" bulbs? (definitely will not consider those!)
Old 2/5/15, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Adam
If all you're looking for is whiter light, just buy the $30 Hoen replacement bulbs. HID is overkill IMO.

OEM

Hoen
Where did you get your headlights?

Quick Reply: HID Conversion Kit from StangMods