2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hey guys... :(

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/12, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys... :(

I know it has been a long time since I have been on here.. I have beet immersed with my pre reqs for Medical school next year.. 17 hours of upper Biology classes and about 30 hours of Volunteer time at 3 different medical offices each week (GI, Dermatoligist, Orthopedic)

Last night I got hit from behind... was stopped at a red light second in line... swathe guy coming so thankfully I turned my steering wheel so I would be pushed into the turn lane where no body was coming... And Thankfully cause there was a truck in front of me that would have screwed up my front end....
I will ad some pics here but i am praying since the officer cited the other guy at fault they will restore my car to what it was before including all my custom work! At lead I can use this for them to install my 3.73 gears that have been sitting around waiting to be installed....

Old 2/12/12, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Oooowwww. That's painful to look at. You're OK though I hope.

Don't be surprised if the insurance company totals it. I had a minor bump on my back bumper of my '12 base model Mustang. All it did was scratch up both the painted and unpainted parts of the bumper. No body work was dented, bent, or out of place. The black plastic bottom part of the bumper had to be replace and the upper half had to be filled, sanded, and repainted.

The total bill from just that little bit of work was $800.

You're going to need all of the body work behind the rear tire replaced, plus there is a possibility of frame damage as well. The exhaust is visibly bent, tail lights need to be replaced, and I can see damage to the bumper underneath the bumper cover. These days insurance companies are totalling cars with just 40% of the value in damages.

It's either going to be a really expensive repair, or they will just total the car out.

The good part is you're OK. Cars can be replaced, drivers can't. (I just lost a good friend to a car accident last week.)

Last edited by Moustang; 2/12/12 at 03:28 PM.
Old 2/12/12, 03:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang

These days insurance companies are totalling cars with just 40% of the value in damages.
What insurance company do you have that would operate on that threshold?

To the original poster, sorry to see what happened. I hope it gets taken care of to your satisfaction. Glad you are OK.
Old 2/12/12, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't be surprised if the insurance company totals it. I had a minor bump on my back bumper of my '12 base model Mustang. All it did was scratch up both the painted and unpainted parts of the bumper. No body work was dented, bent, or out of place. The black plastic bottom part of the bumper had to be replace and the upper half had to be filled, sanded, and repainted.
Are you serious? There isn't a chance in hell they are going to total that car. That much is obvious just by looking at the pictures. Especially when there won't be any engine damage since she only got hit from behind...

Anyway, glad you weren't seriously injured OP, very sad to see a beautiful car all banged up.
Old 2/12/12, 03:55 PM

Oooowwww. That's painful to look at. You're OK though I hope.

The total bill from just that little bit of work was $800.

You're going to need all of the body work behind the rear tire replaced, plus there is a possibility of frame damage as well. The exhaust is visibly bent, tail lights need to be replaced, and I can see damage to the bumper underneath the bumper cover. These days insurance companies are totalling cars with just 40% of the value in damages.

It's either going to be a really expensive repair, or they will just total the car out.

The good part is you're OK. Cars can be replaced, drivers can't. (I just lost a good friend to a car accident last week.)
wow thank that was a pleasant post.... I actually have great insurance including if my car is totaled they buy me the current model of the car i had... but it won't be under my insurance since i was not at fault!
Old 2/12/12, 04:26 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Sorry to hear chrissy
Old 2/12/12, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad your ok. I can only imagine how disappointed you must be having done all that work. Most bodyshops will work with you to get the after market parts replaced being that most of the time the OEM stuff is just as expensive or more in some cases.
Old 2/12/12, 04:56 PM
GT Member

Ah crap Chrissy, that sucks and I feel for you. I was hit in the right front quarter in January on a 6 week old car. $17K in damage and it wasn't totaled. I was told that 70% of value. Non the less, main thing is you are ok and hopefully you have a great shop to fix it up. As for all your custom parts you may be in trouble. In my state I found that the insurance company only has to pay for $1000 in custom parts unless you have a rider for a said value of custom parts.

Also don't wait to get busy on the Diminished Value claim. Someone on here turned me on to that. Google it. Georgia has special DV claim laws. I got enough money on my DV claim to replace my car with another one nearly identical to the one I had with no money out of pocket. I get the new car Wednesday.
Old 2/12/12, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by orpheus
Ah crap Chrissy, that sucks and I feel for you. I was hit in the right front quarter in January on a 6 week old car. $17K in damage and it wasn't totaled. I was told that 70% of value. Non the less, main thing is you are ok and hopefully you have a great shop to fix it up. As for all your custom parts you may be in trouble. In my state I found that the insurance company only has to pay for $1000 in custom parts unless you have a rider for a said value of custom parts.

Also don't wait to get busy on the Diminished Value claim. Someone on here turned me on to that. Google it. Georgia has special DV claim laws. I got enough money on my DV claim to replace my car with another one nearly identical to the one I had with no money out of pocket. I get the new car Wednesday.
oh don't worry already was putting in for Dimished Value....
Plus i have a medical Claim my wrist that is 2 months post op was smashed into the steering wheel it is extremely swollen and bruised...got thing my whole family is in the medical field anew were smart enough to take pictures of my wrist last night 1 hour post accident and will tonight 24 hours after accident...I am going to PA (physician Assistant)school to become a Surgical PA so this can have an affect on my career
Old 2/12/12, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jmillz
Are you serious? There isn't a chance in hell they are going to total that car. That much is obvious just by looking at the pictures. Especially when there won't be any engine damage since she only got hit from behind...

Doesn't matter if the engine is damaged or not. The car may be entirely drivable and repairable, but the insurance company may still total it out.

The reason is the value of the car when parted out vs the cost of repairing it. Since the car is so new they'll often total it out just because they can recover almost the full cost of the car when reselling it rather than spending $5000+ to repair it. The threshold these days is usually a dollar amount rather than a percentage.

You also have to consider that if repaired, it's never going to be worth what they are insuring it for again, and they know that.

It's simply a dollar game. If they can recover 90% of the cost of the car by totalling and reselling it, they'll total it.
Old 2/12/12, 06:02 PM
GT Member

That really sucks about your car, it looks so nice (looked so nice) but they will fix that one. Make sure you pick a good shop to do the repairs.

Doesn't matter if the engine is damaged or not. The car may be entirely drivable and repairable, but the insurance company may still total it out.

The reason is the value of the car when parted out vs the cost of repairing it. Since the car is so new they'll often total it out just because they can recover almost the full cost of the car when reselling it rather than spending $5000+ to repair it. The threshold these days is usually a dollar amount rather than a percentage.

You also have to consider that if repaired, it's never going to be worth what they are insuring it for again, and they know that.

It's simply a dollar game. If they can recover 90% of the cost of the car by totalling and reselling it, they'll total it.
What state are you in?

I know in my state they will sometimes total a newer vehicle but they usually go be the amount of the estimate plus the salvage value and time the person will be in a rental, if it gets close to market value they may total the vehicle.
Old 2/12/12, 06:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Hate to see bad things happen to good people or good cars, but especially both at once. Glad you are OK, and while it'll be shocking how expensive that is to fix, it still looks superficial so there should be no totaling.

I say this based on my deer hit in my 2011 where it FELT like $50 damage, LOOKED like $500, but in the end came to just under $5000. I am sure my photos of that incident are searchable some where on here in my thread history, circa mid-september 2010.
Old 2/12/12, 06:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NEVER REPLACE.....UPGRADE!

Just had my 5.0 backed into and the insurance wrote a check for 3800. With this I'm upgrading to the Cervini's 3" Cobra R hood and a few other little things, which should prove an improvement. Might have a little change left over for my pocket. Ultimately a positive experience. Hope it works out well for you as well.
Old 2/12/12, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm glad or hope your ok. It's just a car in the end. Be glad it protected you. It would be great if they could fix it.
Old 2/12/12, 06:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Ahh Chrissy, that sucks, I'd go nuts if my car got hit. BUT glad to hear you are relatively OK, that's the biggest part. Hope your wrist feels better quickly.
Old 2/12/12, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by dwtc
That really sucks about your car, it looks so nice (looked so nice) but they will fix that one. Make sure you pick a good shop to do the repairs.

What state are you in?

I know in my state they will sometimes total a newer vehicle but they usually go be the amount of the estimate plus the salvage value and time the person will be in a rental, if it gets close to market value they may total the vehicle.
I am in Geogria
Old 2/12/12, 08:15 PM
V6 Member

Sorry to hear.

How have I not seen that car running around town.....?
Old 2/12/12, 08:24 PM

don't know what part of Marietta do you live in?

Originally Posted by silver86
Sorry to hear.

How have I not seen that car running around town.....?
Old 2/12/12, 08:25 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
What insurance company do you have that would operate on that threshold?

To the original poster, sorry to see what happened. I hope it gets taken care of to your satisfaction. Glad you are OK.
Originally Posted by jmillz

Anyway, glad you weren't seriously injured OP, very sad to see a beautiful car all banged up.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 2/12/12, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, that **** sucks.

I hope your alright and your car get's fixed up just like it was before the crash.

& yeah, it has been awhile since we've seen you around here. I am sorry that your return had to be on such negative terms.

Much love girl. <3

Last edited by theACE; 2/12/12 at 08:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Hey guys... :(