Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hey! Anyone with Roush axle-back exhaust for their 2011 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/11, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey! Anyone with Roush axle-back exhaust for their 2011 GT?

Few questions:

1) Any drone? At all? Everyone describe the Bassani axle-back exhaust drone as "slight" but to me it's pretty **** noticable and gives my girlfriend a headache.

2) Obnoxiously loud? If I keep the RPMs under 3,000 I won't attract too much attention, right?

thanks for the input. I LOVE my Bassani but the drone at 1900-2100 is KILLING me.

Bonus question: The guy at my local shop suggested that a Bassani X-pipe to go with the Axle-backs MAY significantly reduce drone. Any validity to this theory?
Old 3/7/11, 11:23 AM
V6 Member

I have the Roush's on my 11 GT.

1) There is some drone around 1400-1700 rpm (I don't remember exactly); it's worst right in the morning when I just pull out of my apartment complex and speed up to highway speed. It was exactly the same thing with the stock exhaust, except it's a tad louder with the Roush's. On the highway, I don't hear any drone whatsoever. My wife prefers a quiet car. She has no problem with my exhaust inside the cabin, except when I roll down the windows going 60 mph under an overpass and slam the throttle because it sounds so good. I don't do it anymore.

2) They are loud. On a cold start, they are loud. You could conceivably irritate the neighbors if they're picky. I try not to leave too early in the morning. With that being said, there are plenty of exhaust systems that are louder... when driving slowly around the neighborhood, I don't find it too loud. But to anybody walking outside, they will attract attention. I had my wife drive in front of me while I was in another car, and even going slowly around town, you could notice the Roush's. On WOT, it's loud! But it sounds incredible IMO.
Old 3/7/11, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the reply.

I did not notice the stock exhaust had any drone 1400-1700 rpm. I spent 90% of my time NOT in the highway so I have a lot of 1000-2500 RPM shifting (granny shift for economy). That's why the Bassanis annoy me so much.

It also seems they much louder than the Bassanis as well. I'm not really trying to get noticed at low RPMs. That being said, do you know of any aftermarket exhausts that have no drone besides the new Borlas and the GT500's? (Borlas too much $$$!)
Old 3/7/11, 11:28 AM
GT Member

1. I don't notice any drone.

2. Yes, in my opinion they are obnoxiously loud. While I like the sound, I cringe every time I'm driving near a police cruiser. I'm also sure my neighbor's hate me now lol from the cold startup. They are pretty loud at 3k rpm and pure violence at wot. I have some FRPP touring axle backs on order to replace them.
Old 3/7/11, 11:38 AM
Banned

They're loud.

Why not just get the GT500's?
Old 3/7/11, 11:41 AM
V6 Member

Let me put it this way - if you're hesitant about having a loud exhaust in any way, there are probably better axle-backs that will suit you than the Roush's.
Old 3/7/11, 11:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
They're loud.

Agreed, go GT500s. The roushs are loud
Old 3/7/11, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

The GT500's don't drone, right?

Also, will an X-pipe reduce drone on my bassanis?
Old 3/7/11, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
They're loud.

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Agreed, go GT500s. The roushs are loud
I guess "loud" is a relative term. I had the Roush exhaust for 8k miles and sold them because... they weren't loud enough. Now I've got Borla ATAK's and love them. Borla ATAK w/ OR/X is way too loud. I had that combo for about a month. That's what I call loud.
Old 3/7/11, 02:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
I guess "loud" is a relative term. I had the Roush exhaust for 8k miles and sold them
Thanks again for that BTW.

I can attest to the Borla ATAKs with the OR/X being stupidly loud.

I thought the stock exhaust was way too quiet, and didn't want to risk getting only a modest sound increase by going to GT500s. The Roush's are a more-than modest sound increase from stock. But, as with everything, some people want minor dB increases, and others want to go all-out (a la jsnyng).
Old 3/7/11, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by orgchem
Thanks again for that BTW.

I can attest to the Borla ATAKs with the OR/X being stupidly loud.

I thought the stock exhaust was way too quiet, and didn't want to risk getting only a modest sound increase by going to GT500s. The Roush's are a more-than modest sound increase from stock. But, as with everything, some people want minor dB increases, and others want to go all-out (a la jsnyng).
You're welcome. BTW, your Roush's sounded amazing yesterday coming down the long straight away.
Old 3/7/11, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the input guys. I may get the Roush if they won't make everyone within a 4 blocks hate me.

That being said, it's going to be heart-ache giving up on the Bassanis. I also wrote to Bassani and they said an X-pipe would make drone WORSE.

How about Ford X-pipe AND GT500 mufflers...that should give a big boost to loudness without being over the top, yea?
Old 3/7/11, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost any x-pipe u do would require a tune.
Old 3/7/11, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

The GT500 axleback is perfect IMO, and probably just what you are looking for. No drone, louder than stock, and nice deep tone. Here's mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wvdiPb9Q9Q
Old 3/7/11, 04:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
Thanks for the input guys. I may get the Roush if they won't make everyone within a 4 blocks hate me.

That being said, it's going to be heart-ache giving up on the Bassanis. I also wrote to Bassani and they said an X-pipe would make drone WORSE.

How about Ford X-pipe AND GT500 mufflers...that should give a big boost to loudness without being over the top, yea?
Can you find somebody around you who has the Roush's so you can listen to them? GT500s?
Old 3/7/11, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

X pipes require tunes?

edit: No, they generally don't. Thanks to the power of google I found out only deleted cats and longtubes (or maybe offroad x?) require a tune.

Last edited by jokerstars; 3/7/11 at 05:38 PM.
Old 3/7/11, 11:12 PM
GT Member

No Drone at all. Mines a daily driver, lots of hiway time at 70-75mph. No drone.

No, not obnoxiously loud unless you step on it good. Under 3k rpms, you'll be fine. They sound AWESOME and will turn heads, guaranteed. My wife was pushing me to get them put on (believe it or not), and I was worried about the loudness, but it's not that bad. Startup on cold mornings can be a bit loud.

Few questions:

1) Any drone? At all? Everyone describe the Bassani axle-back exhaust drone as "slight" but to me it's pretty **** noticable and gives my girlfriend a headache.

2) Obnoxiously loud? If I keep the RPMs under 3,000 I won't attract too much attention, right?

thanks for the input. I LOVE my Bassani but the drone at 1900-2100 is KILLING me.

Bonus question: The guy at my local shop suggested that a Bassani X-pipe to go with the Axle-backs MAY significantly reduce drone. Any validity to this theory?

Last edited by born2run74; 3/7/11 at 11:17 PM.
Old 3/7/11, 11:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, guys.

I am now split between Roush, Corsa Xtreme, and Borla S-Type.

As long as I can stay a bit stealthy under 2500 rpm, I'm ok. As far as I can tell the Corsas and Borlas have ZERO drone and the Roush has verrrrrry little (and is also half the price). If anyone in the DC area wants some new Bassanis for cheap, PM me.
Old 3/7/11, 11:32 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW here's my 2 cents:

I haven't seen ANY drone whatsoever with my Roush axlebacks.
I checked out a million clips and read so many reviews before trying them.
I'm confident there's around zero drone.

Now THIS one is definitely a matter of taste. I wouldn't say obnoxiously loud, but when I first got them I did think they were too loud for my tastes.
Now that I've had them for 4 months or so, I'm happy with them majority of the time. 80% happy / 20% I think too loud for my 40 year old ears.
But when I start the car up, it sounds the way a MUSCLE CAR SHOULD SOUND. Pure power.
And like somebody else said = at WOT they're a BEAST!

And you're correct, if you keep the RPM's under 3000 it's pretty quiet.
I find myself usually at 3000 or below now, which has had a side benefit of giving me increased gas mileage

I would doubt it. All the X-pipe's I've seen don't do anything for drone. They just make the exhaust louder yet.

Last edited by SD6; 3/7/11 at 11:33 PM.
Old 3/8/11, 06:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had them on straight from the dealers (who installed them). LOVE 'EM! There is no drone I find at cruise (6th) they are pretty quiet I think considering and done a few long drives with no problems.

As for noise, yes a little loud when you first start but give a quick "blip' on the gas and bring the idle down and they are fine. They are loud(ish) if you gun it at the lower rev's but this dies in the higher RPM's.

I have heard louder pipes on the stang. The dealer loves them and said this is the sound the GT should really sound like, the OEM's muffle what the car should be in his words.

Quick Reply: Hey! Anyone with Roush axle-back exhaust for their 2011 GT?