Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Here is one for those with TPMS experience..

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/13, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is one for those with TPMS experience..

I have a 2014 with factory 18" wheels and valve stem TPMS sensors.

I purchased a set of used 19" performance pack wheels without valve stem TPMS sensors (I do not know if there are band sensors on the wheels, I'm assuming not).

I installed the 19" wheels last night. The TPMS light did not illuminate and still has not illuminated after 50 miles of driving ranging from 40-80mph.

Shouldn't the TPMS light be on? When I go in the system check it says tire pressure is ok.

What the hell is going on here?

Old 12/20/13, 08:06 PM

Yes you are right the tpms light should be on and flashing alerting you that there is a fault in the system. Even if the wheels have band sensors in them which can some times be identified by on the back or some where on the rim it will say sensor may be inside or something along those lines. As to why it has not come on yet im not sure but it definently should have come on. I hope this helps confirm your thinking.
Old 12/20/13, 08:07 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RubyRedMCA_Beast

I purchased a set of used 19" performance pack wheels without valve stem TPMS sensors (I do not know if there are band sensors on the wheels, I'm assuming not).

I installed the 19" wheels last night. The TPMS light did not illuminate and still has not illuminated after 50 miles of driving ranging from 40-80mph.

Shouldn't the TPMS light be on? When I go in the system check it says tire pressure is ok.

Are your old wheels and tires close to the car when you start up the car?

Give it time though, the TPMS MIL will kick in.
Old 12/20/13, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm taking them in tomorrow to have the valve stems replaced (current ones are long and ugly) so I'll have them check for bands or at least look at the back of the wheel to see if it's stamped somewhere.

My original wheels are about 15 miles away in my buddy's garage.

I've seen some delays with TPMS lights not illuminating, but they're usually on within a few minutes of driving in my experience.

Am I correct to assume that there is nothing to shut this light off, tune-wise? I either have to live with it or get sensors put on the new wheels?

I plan to run the 19" wheels 3 seasons and the factory wheels during winter. My thoughts were to transfer the sensors from the factory wheels to the 19s and just run the 18s without sensors in the winter.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know when the light comes on.
Old 12/21/13, 04:30 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

I'm taking them in tomorrow to have the valve stems replaced (current ones are long and ugly) so I'll have them check for bands or at least look at the back of the wheel to see if it's stamped somewhere.

My original wheels are about 15 miles away in my buddy's garage.

I've seen some delays with TPMS lights not illuminating, but they're usually on within a few minutes of driving in my experience.

Am I correct to assume that there is nothing to shut this light off, tune-wise? I either have to live with it or get sensors put on the new wheels?

I plan to run the 19" wheels 3 seasons and the factory wheels during winter. My thoughts were to transfer the sensors from the factory wheels to the 19s and just run the 18s without sensors in the winter.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know when the light comes on.
The TPMS light cannot be disabled also you can purchase a second set of sensors for the Wheels as well as a tool to calibrate the TPMS when you switch between the two. I know American Muscle sells a kit and its reasonably priced.

Or you can go the sensor bomb route, I don't recommend it since at the very least the TPMS system is a convenience out on the road if you pick up a puncture and the light illuminates before the tire has a chance to run flat and toast either the tire or tire and rim.
Old 12/21/13, 04:34 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Also forgot to add that if you have banded sensors on the 19 inch wheels they would be incompatible with your current TPMS system anyways.
Old 12/21/13, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob
Also forgot to add that if you have banded sensors on the 19 inch wheels they would be incompatible with your current TPMS system anyways.
That's kind of what I figured but I wasn't sure.

I'll probably end up buying new sensors and a programmer and just leaving my stock sensors on the stock wheels.

What is this sensor bomb you speak of?
Old 12/21/13, 07:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Those wheels you bought are off a 13-14 Performance Package, unless they were running them on a 09 on down they would not have band sensors in them. Are you sure they took the sensors out before they sold you the wheels?
The reason I asked is I switch my wheels out for winter and never get a TPMS light, but I have OEM Factory sensors in both sets of wheels.
Old 12/21/13, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Those wheels you bought are off a 13-14 Performance Package, unless they were running them on a 09 on down they would not have band sensors in them. Are you sure they took the sensors out before they sold you the wheels?
The reason I asked is I switch my wheels out for winter and never get a TPMS light, but I have OEM Factory sensors in both sets of wheels.
The valve stems are standard long rubber valve stems, not the sensor type.

Did you have to program your second set of sensors?
Old 12/21/13, 11:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The valve stems are standard long rubber valve stems, not the sensor type.

Did you have to program your second set of sensors?
Never Programmed them, put them on and drove all winter, put the Summer tires back and no light and the winter wheels are on for the second time now with no light.
I bought a set of 17 inch Factory Take Offs from Roush so they had OEM sensors in them.
Old 12/21/13, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's weird. Makes me want to air down one of my tires and go for a short ride too see if mine works.

Be sure to let us know wtf is going on.
Old 12/21/13, 06:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I've been driving my track wheels to wear thru the tires and they don't have TPMS. I have found that the light won't go on for my commute to work when I take the car and that is about 35 mile round trip. It takes more driving to get the light on. More like 50-60 miles. I have my TP wheels in the garage next to my car and parking overnight by those wheels seems to almost reset the TPMS on my car. Are you parking near your OEM wheels?

Last edited by dmichaels; 12/21/13 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12/21/13, 07:48 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

What is this sensor bomb you speak of?

short piece of PVC pipe that you throw your sensors in then cap and use a valve to pressurize the capped piece of pipe so that the sensors always read inflated.
Old 12/21/13, 08:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

BTW, Both sets of my wheels have long regular looking rubber valve stems, but both have sensors screwed onto the end.
Old 12/21/13, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for posting the pic!

The light finally came on, the world is normal again. I didn't expect it to take nearly 100 miles though.
Old 12/22/13, 12:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow! You could loose a lot of air in 50 - 100 miles. The lights on my other cars always come on within 2 blocks. I had an unavoidable road hazard take out a tire on my Infiniti and the light was immediate.
Old 12/22/13, 06:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
Wow! You could loose a lot of air in 50 - 100 miles. The lights on my other cars always come on within 2 blocks. I had an unavoidable road hazard take out a tire on my Infiniti and the light was immediate.
To save battery life the Mustang sensors probably only transmits good news at long intervals mainly just as proof of presence but could still signal low pressure quickly.
Old 12/22/13, 07:11 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I trained my summer set and a winter set of Roush take offs...have gone back and forth with no lights or retrain. (Stock wheels are gone )

I always wondered if this was normal. I didn't have to relearn with the seasonal changeover.
Old 12/22/13, 07:12 AM
GT Member

this past march i had factory wheels off and new wheels put on with new stem tpms that the dealer calibrated using the tool i got with the sensors. four weeks ago i put my factory/winter tires on myself and still no hint of a light even though ive put on 450 miles. no more than 20 mile trip though. i wondered if once calibrated always calibrated properly.
Old 12/22/13, 10:30 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 2013kAB
this past march i had factory wheels off and new wheels put on with new stem tpms that the dealer calibrated using the tool i got with the sensors. four weeks ago i put my factory/winter tires on myself and still no hint of a light even though ive put on 450 miles. no more than 20 mile trip though. i wondered if once calibrated always calibrated properly.
Ditto. Can anyone confirm?

Quick Reply: Here is one for those with TPMS experience..