Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Help selecting Winter Tires and Rims for a 2014

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/14, 04:09 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
We had a brutal winter - tons of ice and snow.

There were times where I'm driving behind an SUV, and their backend was fishtailing back and forth. And as I followed them, my mustang was.... straight as an arrow.

I have the Michelin X-Ice3 tires. I think that those tires along with the traction control probably gave me a lot more peace and calm than I otherwise would have had during this winter from hell.

Now, don't get me wrong - you can still kick out the backend of the car if you try to gun it around a corner on icy roads; but, driving normally, I had no problems.
Same here. Same tires. I can't say enough good things about Michelin X-Ice3s. BUY THEM!

Last edited by ustabawannab; 4/14/14 at 04:10 PM.
Old 4/14/14, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
Thanks for the advise Kyle.

Reason I asked about sizes is that I phoned 3 different Ford dealers for winter packages, and I got 3 different tire sizes with their responses. So I looked up tirerack.com for information purposes, and they don't recognize my specific car type (a premium has 17" oem A/S, but mine is a pony package which has 18" A/S).

Can't order from tirerack anyways because I'm Canadian and I'm sure the duties would be exhorbitant.

This is kind of frustrating to be honest. I figure by the end of all of this I'll probably know way more than I ever thought was possible about tires.
Mrsuitcase, I got my winter tire/rim combo through TireRack. For rims I went with Elbrus 106 machined with ice coating for $144 each.
The tires I chose are Michelin X Ice, the traction on these tires is just unreal....I used other brands before on previous cars I had and honestly, nothing quite compares to these tires...also got the TPMS added into the package, I'm in Toronto, not sure where you are, but door to door including cost, shipping taxes, duty and the rest of it came just south of $1400 all in.
The first year I had the Mustang I had bought a set of Yokohama snow tires installed over steel rims through the selling Ford dealer...one year later the rims looked they were 2,000 000 years old, that's after adding additional Rust paint to them, the tires were the worst thing I have ever driven on, they just failed on all counts.
These Elbrus rims went through two Canadian winters so far, they still look like new, and the amount of insane grip these X ice Michelin's offers are a cut above the rest!
As for tire size, this is what I used at Tire rack's recommendation; 235/50R/18.

Last edited by 5.0 Candy REDCS; 4/14/14 at 05:29 PM.