View Poll Results: Which exhaust???
Keep as is (GT500s)
19.35%
Boss Quad Exhaust
38.71%
Borla S type (or ATAK?)
41.94%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide: GT500 exhaust (keep as is), Add Boss Quad Exhaust, or Borla S Type?

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/12, 04:06 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
UPDATE: I just place an order for Borla S Types. I justified it this way...

Since sound was a virtual tie, based on opinion (since I love them both), I needed some other key discriminators to justify one over the other. With that, I think Borla wins. Here's why:

a) quality - based on research and readings I did on Borla
b) looks - somewhat opinion based, but I love how it sticks out...with that huge 4.5" tip... and also it wins because heck, you can't SEE the Boss pipes unless you look underneath lol
c) slightly cheaper as is....
d) even cheaper when I sell my GT500's

So given that, I just placed the order!!! Wife said "ok", so BOOM, order placed. Thanks to EVERYone who contributed. I am looking forward to my new Borlas. What really did it was seeing, hearing, and driving my buddy's car... it just sounded melodious. Best part is, I can buy the Boss quads in the future, or even go with Borla over the axles too. He told me he takes breaks in the day just to go drive around the office building just to hear it. That right there

Anyone want to buy 2900 mile GT500's that have never seen rain??? I will be posting it on For Sale Section soon. First to pm me gets it hehe.

=====================================

Alright guys... my birthday is fast approaching, and the wifey gave me the go ahead to get a "gift" for myself (don't you love those???).

Anyways, I have been mulling over this "tri-lemma" for a while now. I have LOVED my GT500's for about a year now. But as we all know, we get tired of somethings and long for change. I still love it, but now, I want something LOUDER...lol. Not something insanely or obnoxiously loud, but something with the relatively same tone, but 50% to 75% louder. Something people can hear with their windows up if I am driving by...hehe.

so, options are keep my GT500's as is, add the Boss Exhaust (plates/baffles out, obviously) or get a new Borla S Type. A buddy of mine with a 2013 in town just got the S Types, so I heard (and seen) them in person. It was definitely about 50% louder than my GT500s, and I love the tone and volume. Also like how it sticks out further than the GT500s. Did you know they were 4.5" tips too, versus 4" for the GT500s? The Boss Quads I love too (from what I hear on video). I am just torn between the two.

Please help me decide? Money is no factor, since they will be about 650 - 750 in cost... same.... so not a deciding factor.

Here are some videos to help you guys out....so now, help ME out. lol Thanks a lot guys.

Option 1: Keep AS IS...GT500's.

This is my current set up below:

Option 2: Boss Quads (hard to find good vids on youtube)

thanks to a buddy on this forum for this vid:

Option 3: Borla S Type (to be honest, this is what I am leaning towards, esp after hearing my buddy's in person... I wish I could hear the Boss in person). Btw, these are just axlebacks too, right??? Btw, if I get the Borlas, I can sell my GT500s and recoup a little money!!!

Option 4: BONUS... what do you guys think of the Borla ATAK???? hmmmm

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/19/12 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10/16/12, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about adding onto what you have? For 600 to 700 dollars you could get an X or h pipe which will change the sound and make it louder and a tuner which would let you have more power.
Old 10/16/12, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I vote Borla S Type... I have the Roush on my '13, and it sounds good but I kinda wish I had gone with the Borla from the beginning, just refused to drop an extra couple hundred on axle backs.
Old 10/16/12, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I say GT500's but like tuffstuff said add a X or H pipe and drop the resonators.
Old 10/16/12, 05:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by tuffstuff
What about adding onto what you have? For 600 to 700 dollars you could get an X or h pipe which will change the sound and make it louder and a tuner which would let you have more power.
I really want to stay away from an x pipe..I want to keep my cats. Am also not really interested in power gains, if any...I mean it's nice but not necessary.

Also as far as tunes, I will try to stay away for a bit, at least until the warranty runs out. Maybe in a couple years...same time I am looking at a supercharger.
Old 10/16/12, 05:34 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Black Fire
I say GT500's but like tuffstuff said add a X or H pipe and drop the resonators.
The resonator thing I might consider... I'm trying to convince my buddy with the borla s type to do it...lol. But he says his borla is loud enough.
Old 10/16/12, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I like the boss quads...glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem. Mine is between GT500 axlebacks, shelby quad setup, or the boss quads...decisions.
Old 10/16/12, 07:09 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by fgibbs
I like the boss quads...glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem. Mine is between GT500 axlebacks, shelby quad setup, or the boss quads...decisions.
Lol thanks for further muddying the waters. what does it take to do the Shelby quads? Pipes and diffuser? And how much?
Old 10/16/12, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Lol thanks for further muddying the waters. what does it take to do the Shelby quads? Pipes and diffuser? And how much?
Muddying the waters...no kidding I find the forums good for that. Check this out it requires some modding but looks awesome!!

http://blog.latemodelrestoration.com...-installation/
Old 10/16/12, 08:01 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by fgibbs
Muddying the waters...no kidding I find the forums good for that. Check this out it requires some modding but looks awesome!!

http://blog.latemodelrestoration.com...-installation/
Hmmm that looks like a bit too much for me, both in cost, time invested, and amount of physical mods to the car. I might just save that for when I have an actual Shelby lol.

How about the other folks... Please chime in on the 3 options above. What say you?
Old 10/16/12, 08:52 PM
Banned

I voted for the boss quad. I don't get the whole side open and closed exhaust or how that work but it sounds nice and sounds cool. Sell those axlebacks you got on now for $250ish since theyre $300 new
Old 10/17/12, 05:23 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I voted Boss quad. This is the setup I have on my car, the GT500 with Boss h-pipe and it sounds great. I just added the QTEC302 cutouts so I can open and close when ever I want.
Old 10/17/12, 07:26 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by tbone004
I voted Boss quad. This is the setup I have on my car, the GT500 with Boss h-pipe and it sounds great. I just added the QTEC302 cutouts so I can open and close when ever I want.
How was the înstall? Lots of wiring? I was thinking if I go with the boss, I would run fully open anyways.
Old 10/17/12, 09:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I voted for the S-Types too. ATAK is nice but I would think it would be a bit much for road trips and daily driving (though I know you don't use Marilyn as a DD).
Old 10/17/12, 10:20 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not both? I have the S Types with the Boss side exhaust, and it is amazing together. I think the sound definitely compliments one another, without being obnoxious for cruising. When you push the loud pedal, it gets plenty loud.
Old 10/17/12, 11:55 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Another vote for the Borla S-Type.

Funny.........I was looking for this exact video as its a favourite of mine. I have Flowmasters on my '05, but if I ever got a 5.0, it'd be Borla S-Type for sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vjRx1skl46k
Old 10/17/12, 12:06 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess I need to hear the s-type in person, but the 302 all open with gt500's is where I'll be going later this year or early next year unless I hear the s-types in person.
Old 10/17/12, 01:02 PM
GT Member

on my boss I liked the GT500 and full open side pipes but it was to quite for me. i now have magnaflow comp cat back and fully open side pipes. sounds great
Old 10/17/12, 01:44 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
How was the înstall? Lots of wiring? I was thinking if I go with the boss, I would run fully open anyways.
It wasn't too hard, I have a MGW shifter and the boot is a PITA to get on and off so I didn't go through the shifter tunnel. I removed my sound tube when I put my CAI on so I used that hole in the firewall to run the wires.

Took longer to make sure everything was tie wrapped properly then it did to run the wires.

I have heard Overboost's car and it sounds great with the Borla-S and Boss H, I was going to go that route because I wanted the rolled tips. But decided to save a few bucks with the GT500.
Old 10/17/12, 06:11 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
Why not both? I have the S Types with the Boss side exhaust, and it is amazing together. I think the sound definitely compliments one another, without being obnoxious for cruising. When you push the loud pedal, it gets plenty loud.
Steve.... because it would cost 1400 bucks or more. one at a time. My wife would not allow it...lol. But yes ideally, i would like both! So hey Steve, your combo intrigues me though. Can you please take a video of your setup? I would love to hear S Types with the Quads...

Update, after work today my buddy with the 2013 GHIG with the Borla S Types started it up for me again... Forgive me for the location of the vid and the annoying cars driving by. I took a vid, though my camera phone sucks. But anyways, here's the best I could muster. Hearing it in person again though, I can honestly say, I am tending to like it more than my gt500s for sure. But maybe it's because of the volume since it's louder? I am getting mislead by the volume...lol. I love the louder sound. He also let me drive his 2013. The sound inside is definitely louder than the gt500s I have... for sure.

I am still torn. Maybe leaning more towards Borlas... hmmm

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/17/12 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me decide: GT500 exhaust (keep as is), Add Boss Quad Exhaust, or Borla S Type?