Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Harbor Freight 1.5 ton jack too short to lift rear pumpkin for jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/14, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harbor Freight 1.5 ton jack too short to lift rear pumpkin for jack stands

Hi Guys...I've seen most of the how-to videos out there and everyone jacks up the pumpkin so they can place both jack stands in the appropriate jacking points found in front of the rear wheels. Well my Harbor Freight 1.5 ton floor jack can't lift the rear high enough to get both jack stands underneath the rear jacking points...Is there a way to go about doing this without buying a longer floor jack that can lift higher? I've even used a piece of 2x4 in between the jack pad and bottom of the pumpkin and it's still does not raise the rear high enough. Note: I can't use the rear axle as I already have the Whiteline rear sway bar installed.
Old 10/14/14, 08:52 AM
GT Member

I think the only way would be to get a new jack. I have the 3 ton low profile jack from harbor freight and it works fine for me. I also have a whiteline sway bar and watts link. I just put a 2x4 under the pumpkin and I can put the jackstands in front of the rear lower control arms or on the axles. Just have to wiggle the jackstands around so that their not touching the swaybar.
Old 10/14/14, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by swervo
I think the only way would be to get a new jack. I have the 3 ton low profile jack from harbor freight and it works fine for me. I also have a whiteline sway bar and watts link. I just put a 2x4 under the pumpkin and I can put the jackstands in front of the rear lower control arms or on the axles. Just have to wiggle the jackstands around so that their not touching the swaybar.
Thanks for this info, swervo...I originally wanted to get the 3 ton low profile jack, but it seemed too big of a box and heavy at the time of purchase to fit in the trunk of the stang. I did not know that the axles were accessible with the whiteline sway bar in the way...I will have to look into this and the location of the front of the rear lower control arms for jack stand placement. Ultimately, I think you are right...I'll probably have to get a new jack...sucks.
Old 10/14/14, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Jack up one side at a time? that's how I do it, since my jack stands don't stay in place if i jack the car with the pumpkin. No matter what direction I place them, they start to tilt when I lower the car down from the pumpkin. They are 4-ton jack stands too...but when I do one side at a time and place them in the exact same position, it's stable
Old 10/14/14, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Jack up one side at a time? that's how I do it, since my jack stands don't stay in place if i jack the car with the pumpkin. No matter what direction I place them, they start to tilt when I lower the car down from the pumpkin. They are 4-ton jack stands too...but when I do one side at a time and place them in the exact same position, it's stable
Hi laserred38...I am willing to jack one side at a time...so how do you start? Example: Use your floor jack underneath the rear right jacking point (in front of rear right tire) and jack the rear right corner high enough to fit the jack stand where? Please advise...thanks.
Old 10/14/14, 10:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by magnido45
Hi laserred38...I am willing to jack one side at a time...so how do you start? Example: Use your floor jack underneath the rear right jacking point (in front of rear right tire) and jack the rear right corner high enough to fit the jack stand where? Please advise...thanks.
That's exactly what I do, then place the jack stand under the frame...
Old 10/14/14, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

That's exactly what I do, then place the jack stand under the frame...
Thanks, man...I will look into this...
Old 10/14/14, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've used a block of wood between the jack and pumpkin to get me the additional clearance I need.
Old 10/14/14, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bones302
i've used a block of wood between the jack and pumpkin to get me the additional clearance I need.
Thanks, bones302...are you using the same 1.5 ton HF floorjack? That must be one big block of wood...I can't get it up there.
Old 10/14/14, 11:39 AM
GT Member

Or you can spend $1300 and get this thing. If I had the spare cash, I would get it lol.
http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipmen...k/BL-5000.aspx
Old 10/14/14, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by swervo
Or you can spend $1300 and get this thing. If I had the spare cash, I would get it lol.
http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipmen...k/BL-5000.aspx
I actually have the money...but I am holding it for the Whiteline Watts link...gotta figure out why I am procrastinating from hitting the BUY button...lol...thnks for the link, swervo...if I get this...I can be found 24/7 living in my garage...this would be the ultimate addition to my man cave!!!
Old 10/14/14, 12:19 PM
GT Member

I actually have the money...but I am holding it for the Whiteline Watts link...gotta figure out why I am procrastinating from hitting the BUY button...lol...thnks for the link, swervo...if I get this...I can be found 24/7 living in my garage...this would be the ultimate addition to my man cave!!!
Me too! If I had that, I would be in my garage a lot more. Just putting my stang on jacks keeps me from working on my car. It's become such a chore. I have to put the front end on ramps to get my jack under the car, since my stang is so low.
Old 10/14/14, 12:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

CJ Pony Parts has the WL Watts link on clearance right now...
Old 10/14/14, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

CJ Pony Parts has the WL Watts link on clearance right now...
Oh Shoot!!! Thanks lasered38...that is a great price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by magnido45; 10/14/14 at 02:05 PM. Reason: mistype
Old 10/14/14, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use the 1.5 ton jack from HF, and can get the rear axle plenty high to clear my jack-stands. For the F150, I use a 4x4 on its side (which nestles nicely on the jack platform) to get enough height for stands. I've had the back end up a number of times (LCA install, quad exhaust install, shifter install, etc.).

Is it the jack that looks like this?

PS- That quick jack looks awesome!
Old 10/14/14, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
I use the 1.5 ton jack from HF, and can get the rear axle plenty high to clear my jack-stands. For the F150, I use a 4x4 on its side (which nestles nicely on the jack platform) to get enough height for stands. I've had the back end up a number of times (LCA install, quad exhaust install, shifter install, etc.).

That's exactly what I have...I am using HarborFreights 3-ton jacks which cannot clear...and as much as I pump, it stops at a certain height and clicks...maybe there is something wrong with my floor jack?
Old 10/14/14, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh Shoot!!! Thanks lasered38...that is a great price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well...don't waste your time, folks...I just called and found out that it was a returned item...used...that's why it's on clearance...must be something wrong with it

Last edited by magnido45; 10/14/14 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10/14/14, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Well...don't waste your time, folks...I just called and found out that it was a returned item...used...that's why it's on clearance...must be something wrong with it
jk...I only said that to make sure nobody ordered one just in case they had one left...just ordered one!!! Yaaaayyyyy!!!
Old 10/14/14, 07:00 PM
GT Member

I have four of the same, was lucky enough to pick them up for $59 each (coupon from some magazine). Keep one in my truck a couple in the race trailer and one in the garage. They rock

As for the pumpkin I took and cut two pieces of 2x10 about 24 inches long and screwed them together. The lift the car with the jack on top of the wood

Last edited by polarisTXguy; 10/14/14 at 07:13 PM.
Old 3/17/15, 09:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux

is this jack long enough to reach the k-member in the front??

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight 1.5 ton jack too short to lift rear pumpkin for jack stands