2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Handling: Old vs 2010+ Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/12 | 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Question Handling: Old vs 2010+ Mustang

A question that I always wanted to ask. What makes the new Mustang (2010+) handle better (and ride better in terms of comfort) than previous ones (2009 and below)? Must likely I'm wrong but isn't the new Mustang using the same Solid Rear Axle configuration for the last 20 or 30 years? Is it better suspension tuning (bushing, suspension geometry, etc....), Limited Slip Differential...what?

Please Mustang enthusiast help me understand since I'm kind of new to the Mustang world. Thanks.
Old 5/10/12 | 10:20 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't know the entire story, but I know that a big part of it is an increase in structural stiffness. The stiffer the structure, the better the suspension can be.

I've seen photos of the underside of a 2011 showing the improved areas. Hopefully someone else can chime in with specifics and numbers.
Old 5/10/12 | 10:56 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by newpony
What makes the new Mustang (2010+) handle better (and ride better in terms of comfort) than previous ones (2009 and below)? Must likely I'm wrong but isn't the new Mustang using the same Solid Rear Axle configuration for the last 20 or 30 years? Please Mustang enthusiast help me understand since I'm kind of new to the Mustang world. Thanks.
YES it uses an SRA - that's its forte'!

Ford is using a different combination of stiffer stabilizer bars, spring rates, dampers, tires. (Yes to the Track-Lock diff but that doesn't affect handling so much as it does response.)

The 08/09 Bullitt was a step up from previous S197's, and that was carried over to the '10 GT. But the '10 took it a step further plus offered the optional 'track pack' set up for better handling yet. As reported, Ford has made great strides in handling in recent years so that the driver is in better control in corner carving (with less understeer) while still maintaining the (favored by many) feel of the SRA. Many US drivers grew up with SRA and responding to the road is just reflex. Newbies need to catch up.

excerpt from the '10 track pack upgrades. I didn't save anything beyond the '10.

Track Pack
Both the 2010 V-6 and GT models feature improved handling, but Team Mustang wanted to create a distinctive option package aimed at performance enthusiasts. Starting with the 2010 GT manual coupe, the engineering team was able to create a package that hits the sweet spot.

The first ingredient was to add a high-performance summer tire, and the 19-inch Pirelli P Zero P255/40ZR-19 proved to be an inspired choice for improved grip. Ford's engineering team then went to work on the underpinnings of the 2010 Mustang GT coupe, using Ford's proven technology from the Shelby GT500 program.

The front and rear stabilizer bars from the 2009 Shelby GT500 complement the Pirelli tires and help balance the Track Pack 2010 Mustang GT coupe front to rear. The struts and shocks were retuned for the increased capability of the new tire and stabilizer bar changes. The engineering team also spent significant time at the track to ensure the Track Pack was rewarding on the track and offered a balance of spirited driving and track prowess.

The roll gradient (how much the car rolls while steering) was reduced nearly 13 percent compared with the base 2010 Mustang GT. Damping was increased by 23 percent in the front and 8 percent in the rear in the low- to mid-speed compared to the 2010 Mustang GT.

"By reducing the roll gradient, the car stays flatter in turns," said Tom Barnes, Vehicle Engineering Manager, 2010 Mustang. "And when the car is flatter, the driver is more in command and more confident in what the car's doing.

"Great handling comes from great control. A driver's control of the vehicle is facilitated by information. This Track Pack communicates to the driver through the tires and suspension so well that is it easy to drive very quickly. It rewards smooth driving, while offering great capacity to cover driver error."

In addition to the hardware changes and extensive tuning, the Ford team also took a more holistic approach to improving the Track Pack Mustang.

"Handling is not just chassis," Barnes said. "Vehicle dynamics - how the Mustang responds under acceleration and braking - is important as well."

The solution from the powertrain part of the equation was to use a 3.73 limited-slip axle with carbon-fiber clutch plates.

"The 3.73 axle allows for a more-responsive Mustang, especially at mid-range speeds," Barnes said. "The carbon-fiber plates allow a very robust architecture in terms of temperature and repeated hard driving on the track."

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/10/12 at 10:57 AM.
Old 5/10/12 | 11:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The previous generation Mustang (SN-95) had a live axle but it was suspended in the rear by a system of four shocks, which was less precise in terms of holding things steady. The 2005s were improved over that because of the Panhard rod arrangement and new body structure. The 2008-09 Mustang Bullitt upped the ante on suspension feeling less floaty in the 4.6L V8 models.

This will open a rather large debate on "better", however, since the 2010 refresh, we've had multiple iterations of shock and spring tuning (especially to support the '11+ powertrain changes) and body stiffening. The SVT performance package, Brembo package, and the Boss 302 suspensions are all evidence of this.

When I went from my 2007 GT to my 2010 GT, the ride height changes and shock damping to support it (based on the '08-'09 Bullitt) were noticeable to me in spirited street driving. However, unless you put these cars on a track, you can't see the full range of suspension performance and what the tuning changes have done.

Hope this helps some.
Old 5/10/12 | 06:16 PM
Cobra Member

5.0........you forget all the rest once that is pushed hard.....lol
Old 5/10/12 | 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I had on '02 GT and its ride seem like it amplified pebbles. When I test drove a '13 on Michigan's finest roads it seemed much better.