2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

GT brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/14, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
GT brake upgrade

Is there a Brake upgrade for the rear brakes? I have a 2014 GT track car. The front looks and performs great. Is there a Brembo caliper to match the rear brakes or a cover?
Old 8/5/14, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Is there a Brake upgrade for the rear brakes? I have a 2014 GT track car. The front looks and performs great. Is there a Brembo caliper to match the rear brakes or a cover?
I don't think so. There is a GT500 style upgrade for the rear, but I don't think it's worth doing unless you also do some major suspension work as well. Even with the Track Pack the car nosedives a lot during heavy braking, and the rear tires don't have enough normal force to really do anything since all the weight transfers to the front.

Here is a link to a 13.8" GT500 rear setup. It's rotor only. You reuse the stock calipers. It's not too expensive, but unless you find a way to keep the rear end planted under heavy braking I don't think it would be that helpful other than keeping temps down.

My back end dances left to right under heave braking at the track. Electronic Brake force Distribution has to work really hard to keep it in check. I've been sticking with stock pads on the back, and race pads on the front. I think I may sway towards slightly grippier pads with higher fade resistance on the back and call it

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=606

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 8/5/14 at 07:30 PM.
Old 8/6/14, 11:24 AM
Cobra Member

Thankx MONSTER. I know what you mean about the dive. I am going to upgrade the suspension next year. I hate the way the Brakes in the rear look. Wish they made a Brembo Caliper to match.

What pads are you using? Do you switch them out for track?
Old 8/6/14, 12:19 PM
Banned

Thankx MONSTER. I know what you mean about the dive. I am going to upgrade the suspension next year. I hate the way the Brakes in the rear look. Wish they made a Brembo Caliper to match.

What pads are you using? Do you switch them out for track?
Hey Jazzman,

Yeah, suspension work is on my future list of mods as well.

I use Carbotech XP10 for the track. I swap out a week before and after my events. They have been very good. Grippy. No fade in either of my last 2 track weekend, and consistent stopping power. They are fade resistant to ~1650F. After 2 full weekends and ~350 track miles I have 7/10mm of pad left. I have Carbotech's XP8 for the rear, but haven't tried them on yet. (not sure it's really worth it, and it's a PAIN to swap rears). Stock pads do OK, particularly if you turn Stabilitrack OFF and TCS/ESP is not intervening. I was thinking about getting their AX6 pads for the back, and using for daily driving and track. 1100F fade resistance and bite has to be better than stock, so as long as they aren't too noisy that would work well for me.

I wish I could wear the XP10s for daily use, but they are too noisy and dust like crazy. At least the dust in non-corrsive, but still.

Do you track yours? What setup are you using?

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 8/6/14 at 12:23 PM.
Old 8/6/14, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

I have not tracked mine yet. I live in central Florida on the west coast and there is not a lot of tracks to use. Waiting for one to get refinished in St Pete. I have had it for 2 months and there is less than a 1000 miles on her. Hope to soon be able to do more driving. I love drag racing and there are a few tracks around here. Waiting badly to do track days.In the mean time modding and getting ready.

What racing do you do?
Old 8/6/14, 01:10 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You can get bigger rotors if you just want them to fill up the wheels a little more, and I think AM still has caliper covers if you want the calipers to be a little bigger.

There used to be a member here (I don't remember who or if he's still here) that converted his rears to Brembo 6-pistons, but it was big bucks and a lot of work. I think it was a dedicated track car. Looked awesome though...
Old 8/6/14, 02:42 PM
Banned

I have not tracked mine yet. I live in central Florida on the west coast and there is not a lot of tracks to use. Waiting for one to get refinished in St Pete. I have had it for 2 months and there is less than a 1000 miles on her. Hope to soon be able to do more driving. I love drag racing and there are a few tracks around here. Waiting badly to do track days.In the mean time modding and getting ready.

What racing do you do?
Nice. Got to love that weather. I have to deal with snow, and having my car sit in a garage for 5-6 months a year! Brr.

I do HPDE events at road courses. It's not really racing, but it gives you a chance to experience your car at the limits and high speeds. It's 4-5 20-30 minute sessions per day at a road racing course.

I've never dragged my car.

I'd highly recommend leaving your car close to stock, and doing a couple events first. The TP is a very capable package right out of the box at road courses. Then after a few events you have a good idea of where the strengths and weaknesses are and what you'd like to change with the car. Most important mod is Driver mod though

In terms of getting the car prepped it helps to change brake pads and brake fluid, plus wheels/tires. Also I found a Barton shifter bracket helpful doing heal-and-toe downshifts. My first event I did on stock fluid and wheels/tires. I upgraded this year to lighter wheels, tires I don't mind trashing, and Motul Brake fluid. It's a ton of fun.
Old 8/6/14, 03:01 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
The member was "908ssp" and I think he's still active. I don't know if Brembo makes a kit, but I just saw that Baer does...$2k+ for the cheaper one, and $3k+ for the more expensive kit.
Old 8/6/14, 03:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
You can get bigger rotors if you just want them to fill up the wheels a little more, and I think AM still has caliper covers if you want the calipers to be a little bigger.

There used to be a member here (I don't remember who or if he's still here) that converted his rears to Brembo 6-pistons, but it was big bucks and a lot of work. I think it was a dedicated track car. Looked awesome though...

Some of the other cars like the challenger have Brembo's all around and they match. I like the look. Also makes for easy pad replacement.
Old 8/6/14, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Nice. Got to love that weather. I have to deal with snow, and having my car sit in a garage for 5-6 months a year! Brr.

I do HPDE events at road courses. It's not really racing, but it gives you a chance to experience your car at the limits and high speeds. It's 4-5 20-30 minute sessions per day at a road racing course.

I've never dragged my car.

I'd highly recommend leaving your car close to stock, and doing a couple events first. The TP is a very capable package right out of the box at road courses. Then after a few events you have a good idea of where the strengths and weaknesses are and what you'd like to change with the car. Most important mod is Driver mod though

In terms of getting the car prepped it helps to change brake pads and brake fluid, plus wheels/tires. Also I found a Barton shifter bracket helpful doing heal-and-toe downshifts. My first event I did on stock fluid and wheels/tires. I upgraded this year to lighter wheels, tires I don't mind trashing, and Motul Brake fluid. It's a ton of fun.
Monster. Thank you for the Advice. That sounds like the thing to do.

I would love to do road racing events and build some experience. Been auto crossing when I was younger. I have a Drag raced since I could drive. I have a pro car that has been stilling for many years waiting for my kids to grow up. Now the fun begins.

The snow is a pain for sure. I love the cold more than this heat but I would not want to live in the snow anymore.

Thankx
Old 8/6/14, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the same problem when I installed my Stop Techs. It made the rears look pitiful.

I went with the Steeda 13" slotted rotors kit. Even though I'm not a fan of caliper covers, you can order the rears only. I think it helped.

Old 8/6/14, 08:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyV
I had the same problem when I installed my Stop Techs. It made the rears look pitiful. I went with the Steeda 13" slotted rotors kit. Even though I'm not a fan of caliper covers, you can order the rears only. I think it helped.
Man that looks good.
Old 8/11/14, 12:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TommyV
I had the same problem when I installed my Stop Techs. It made the rears look pitiful.

I went with the Steeda 13" slotted rotors kit. Even though I'm not a fan of caliper covers, you can order the rears only. I think it helped.

Can you post a closer picture of the front and rear wheels.

You car looks Great.
Old 8/11/14, 01:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, I'll get some today.
Old 8/11/14, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would advise against caliper covers as they are flimsy and they attach poorly. I had them for a few months until I decided to remove/paint my calipers gloss black. When I was removing the caliper covers, the fasteners literally fell apart in my hands. I bought the ones from the AM site. Not their fault. It's obvious what caliper covers are and I really didn't expect much from them.
Old 8/11/14, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, they are just covers, but my MGW seem to be well made and they match the red of the Stop Tech's perfectly.

Name:  StopTechs_zps3c98ca15.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  36.3 KB

Old 8/11/14, 09:14 PM
Cobra Member

TommyV, Thank you for posting. They look great. I have the Brembo brakes and I am wanting the look you have on your car. Looks very uniform. I am trying to find the color of the Brembo's for a cover or a Caliper to match.

I love your Splitter. Who's is it?

Thank you Fantastic Look.

Last edited by Jazzman442; 8/11/14 at 09:16 PM.
Old 8/12/14, 01:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, the splitter is Stillen. You might want to try the G2 caliper paint on eBay. You can get the Brembo decals there also.

Name:  newbrembo_zps97b6bf05.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  57.9 KB

Last edited by TommyV; 8/12/14 at 01:33 AM.
Old 8/12/14, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Wilwood makes a few rear brake kits for the Mustang. Baer makes a couple kits too.
Old 8/12/14, 09:02 PM
Cobra Member

I just can not believe that the Mustang does not have matching Brembo calipers. All of the rest of the cars do. Oh well Function over Forum I get it.

TommyV How hard was the Splitter to install?

Quick Reply: GT brake upgrade